wipe hard drive clean

Old 01-17-13, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wipe hard drive clean

Acquired an old used desktop pc of which I'd like to wipe the hard drive clean of all programs/data using a free program called killdisk. Problem is the program needs Windows to run, but I can't log into Windows because the previous owner of the pc is long gone and Windows log in screen is asking for that user's password. Some way to get around this so I can just wipe the drive clean as mentioned? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-13, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
You going to reinstall Windows? I would and that would be all I would do.

I don't have familiarity with the program you mention, not sure how it works....

Old 01-17-13, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You certainly could just format the disk and probably get a good install. However there are some viruses that are persistent so to avoid any problems and to provide the person privacy I suggest you use Dban. First though download ISO Recorder and you can get this free recorder here ISO Recorder . Download and run ISO recorder then download Dban to a place where you can find it like in my documents and you can get Dban here Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing . Once Dban is downloaded right click on the file and have a CD-R in a DVD Writer or CD writer and look for ISO recorder. Once Dban is on the disk put it in the Cd-rom drive of the computer you want to wipe and let it do what you want it to do. Depending on the drive it can take about an hour to a couple of hours or so but it will completely wipe the drive and best of all it is free too.

Old 01-17-13, 06:29 PM
Actually my plan is to give the computer to somebody else and I don't know whether they plan on installing Windows on it or what, so I was just going to see about wiping the drive clean so they'd have a clean drive to start with with no worries about any previous potential problematic data/info/programs etc. remaining on it. The method and program described by hedgeclipper sounds like a good way for me to go here. Thanks!

Old 01-17-13, 07:42 PM
I'm a fan of the Ultimate Boot CD. It's got a lot of good tools for hard disk manipulation.

Old 01-17-13, 08:38 PM
Thanks for that suggestion T-W-X. I happen to have a UBCD disc and unti you mentioned it I hadn't even thought of looking on it to see if it included a disk wiping tool. Sure enough it does! Probably just use that.

Old 02-07-13, 08:20 AM
I ended up using a disk wiping tool included with UBCD; I the one I used was called KillDisk. My original thought, before posting/starting this thread, was to download Killdisk and try to use it but that was before T-W-X mentioned UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD). I already had a UBCD so I utilized one of its disk wiping tools (KillDisk) and as I recall that was only one of a few different such wiping tools available on the UBCD. Seemed to work good and was easy.
The idea of just reformating and then reinstalling Windows and/or deleting and recreating all partitions probably would've sufficed to clear old data but for reasons mentioned below I wanted to have a more reliable/complete wipe of the disk so it would be ready to give to someone else whom I'm not even sure wants Windows on it anyway. Thanks for the replies here.

Old 02-18-13, 06:32 PM
Just create a bootable USB or CD and use DBAN. Google it.

Old 02-18-13, 07:13 PM
Why should I do that, or Google it? I already wiped the disk as I described in my last post here. thanks anyway though.