Windows 8 and wireless networking issue

Old 01-22-13, 12:00 PM
Windows 8 and wireless networking issue

Hi all.....g/f got her youngest (18) a new HP laptop w/Windows 8.

Went to set up the wireless so it can be on our home wireless network. Plugged in is fine, and it "sees" the wireless network, but will NOT connect. I have copied all settings (security, etc) from my laptop and entered into his. Again....his "sees" our network and others, but will NOT connect to the home WIRELESS network.

My laptop, 2 I-pods and an I-Pad all hooked up easily and with no issues.

I feel I know what I'm doing ( done it before with other devices and an old XP desktop) but this has me pulling hair out .

Oh....completely UNfamiliar with this Windows 8, and judging the UI....not impressed. Any Windows 8 gurus are welcome to offer advise...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-13, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
Well first of all windows 8 has a learning curve. The curve is to find everything that normally can be found with other operating systems.

With that said I ditched most of the mircosoft stuff from the metro screen.

Second I installed the start menu. You should too. will tell ya when you get on internet. I set the computer to load straght to the desk top and by pass metro screen.

Now with that said, get to the charms icons by scrolling mouse to right corner of screen, settings, control panel.

Then network and internet icon, then network and sharing center "view network status and tasks.....Then on the left click change adapter settings. There you should see the wireless icon.

Let me know if you can get that far.....LOL.

Old 01-22-13, 01:49 PM
I think I know what happened to you as it happened to me recently with a Linux install I did on an old laptop to see if I could get it to work with it as I didn't want to put more money into it. Anyway I put in my key for the router and I could see my router and a few neighbors and I thought great it seems to be working great.

It wasn't though I couldn't connect and tried different things including downloading other software and contacting the PCLinusOs forum to get some help. I still couldn't get it to work and I thought now I know it works as I had the Windows XP drivers on it. The thing I had wrong all along was the selection for the right encryption key. So depending on your router you either need WPA on the laptop or WEP on the laptop. Check your encryption settings I bet it is for WPA and not WEP which is what most home routers are set to. I too have done this many times but in this case I had it set wrong. I guess it might have been Murphy's law for both of us

Old 01-22-13, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys....hedgeclippers you called it right....all is well....

Old 01-22-13, 09:44 PM
I thought Murphy was a bit busy lately I am glad it worked well for you. Been thinking about getting a new laptop myself. Just out of curiosity what model HP is it?