Can't Connect to Internet with Wi-Fi

Old 01-29-13, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't Connect to Internet with Wi-Fi

Just bought a used laptop running XP home, and based on restore points hasn't been used for about 2 years. Boots up fine and is able to connect to unsecured wi-fi in range, will connect either using windows or the wi-fi adapter utility, but am unable to connect to internet. Tried both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox but neither can connect. Tried both at my home wi-fi (showed connected to my secured router) and at work where there is an unsecured wi-fi. Excellent connections at both locations.

Any suggestions as to how to correct are appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-13, 08:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like the wireless card's DNS/IP settings are set up for a manual configuration that isn't compatible with the networks you are connecting to.

Go to Control Panel > Network Settings
Select the wireless adapter
Right Click and select Properties
Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Click Properties
Make sure both IP Address and DNS are set to Obtain Automatically (don't worry about clearing any numbers that might be there)
Click Advanced
Click the WINS tab and make sure there is nothing listed - remove anything that is showing. Make sure the LMHOSTS box is checked
Apply/OK/Close
Reboot and it should work

Old 01-29-13, 09:18 AM
Thanks JerseyMatt,

I went through all the steps you outlined; all were already set as you have suggested. Perhaps you have some other suggestions?

Old 01-29-13, 09:54 AM
Follow Up -
BTW, the wi-fi adapter is Intel PRO/Wireless 3945AGB NET. About 6-7 years old I believe. The desktop icon balloon for this says Excellent connection, 54mbps, does show an IP address 192.168.35.81. Is there something I should do with this?

I downloaded the utility "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows XP" from another computer and ran this also.

Under Network Connections I also see a 1394 Net Adapter marked as connected. This also is set for automatic IP and DNS.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 01-29-13, 11:40 AM
Go to a command prompt, start - run - command.

Then type in: IPCONFIG /ALL

Post the results back.

Old 01-29-13, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your assistance, aandpdan.

Here are the results:

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-b00e2c3e3
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : vendorwireless.energyeast.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit
Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-FB-44-21

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vendorwireless.energyeast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-67-2C-87
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.35.81
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.35.9
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.35.9
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.92.226.11
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:34:11 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:34:11 PM

C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER>

Old 01-29-13, 02:29 PM
I read from your post that you have intel Pro set wireless as your wifi card. Would that be a Dell laptop by any chance? It really doesn't matter if it is or not as I am sure other laptops had the same card. Well with the right software installed you have two options either connect via Windows alone or use the software you have installed. I personally would try the software first so look for an icon with bars either vertical or horizontal and I am thinking you will see an X there and if you do see an X or anything red with a circle it means the card is not connected.

Click on the icon and then look for your router it should say networks. If you don't see the router then refresh the page where it says to refresh the list. Once you see the list then click connect on your router and it should connect. I too have been able to see the router but I didn't have my encryption key right I had used WPA instead of WEP so watch out for that too as it is easy to do. Try it and see how it works sometimes these internet connections through our routers can be very trying at times.

Old 01-29-13, 02:55 PM
No according to the IPCONFIG readout it is connecting fine. If it was a key or encryption mismatch it wouldn't even associate with the router, let alone pull an IP address.

However the IP address that it pulled and the gateway address are weird. Usually gateway addresses end in 1... What brand router is it? Or is that while connected to your open wifi at work?

I notice that it has a reference to verizon.. Do you use Fios? Did you install any Verizon/Fios software? If not, the previous owner might have and that is probably causing issues.. I would remove any Verizon software anyway, as it is not needed in order to use Fios - it's just bloat.

Old 01-29-13, 04:12 PM
It does look like you are connected. Like JerseyMatt says the gateway address is "odd." Normally it ends in .1

Let see if we're actually getting out. Ping your DNS servers.

From the command prompt:

PING 24.92.226.11

When it stops:

PING 24.92.226.12

You can also try: PING www dot google dot com

Autoformat screws it up in the post. Type it as you would in the browser.

Old 01-29-13, 05:02 PM
I don't remember the reason but I think the node type needs to be set to hybrid -

See this link:

change node type - Tech Support Forum

Old 01-29-13, 11:47 PM
JerseyMatt you are right I think I was thinking about IP assignments I know some software wants to know if you are configuring an IP address manually or letting it be automatically assigned. Most times from everything I was told about that it is best to let the software assign the address automatically. A browser be it Firefox or IE also has a place for configuration that most people don't even bother with as it is just better to leave it alone. Maybe someone did something to the browsers before it reached beamhillrd. On the ethernet card I noticed that his card is set to auto connect so I am thinking more towards a misconfiguration of the browsers which can be reset to defaults.

Old 01-30-13, 05:52 AM
That's what the procedure that aandpdan posted will diagnose.. If he can ping the DNS servers and google's servers from the command line (which will verify the computer's ability to talk to the internet independently of the browsers), then all evidence will point to a browser misconfiguration. They may be set to use a proxy which doesn't exist on the OP's network or something, or there may be some kind of parental/security software blocking access.

However I am still curious about the goofy DHCP settings that it pulled, namely the gateway IP.. So Id still like to know what router he has.

Old 01-30-13, 08:08 AM
Updates from Original Poster -
Was able to connect last night at home. At work, all the pings failed, due to timeout. At work we have an unsecured network SSID and several secured. Obviously with my personal laptop I am trying to connect to the unsecured network. Thats the one I can't get internet access on although ortherwise the computer tells me I am connected.

I have tried to reset the dchpModeType ("Mode Type = Unknown" in ipconfig/all) via regedit from 8 to either 0 or 1, but each time I restart the dchpModeType resets to 8. Could this be the problem, how can I get the dchpModeType to change?

Old 01-30-13, 11:28 AM
So sorry.....

Aplogies from Original Poster;

Just found out from the IT techs here at work that the SSID I'm trying to connect to says Open, but it is really not, and thus I am getting no access. I can connect, but get no access. End of story. Sorry to take up your time. As I mentioned in last post, I am able to connect at home. So thanks again for all your interest.

Old 01-30-13, 05:22 PM
No problem I am learning about this stuff with the routers too. I understand the computer side more than the router side myself. Seems like I have heard with routers at places of work you usually need a password to log in. Maybe your boss would allow your computer to be set up so you could log in and maybe not. It just depends on the nature of your job and what they do. Anyway I am glad you can at least use your laptop at home.