Western digital drive used to record DVR - USB 2.0 vs sata plug

Old 01-30-13, 09:42 PM
Western digital drive used to record DVR - USB 2.0 vs sata plug

So, here is my question. I have a Western Digital external 1Tb drive I used to increase the capacity of my DVR unit. Unfortantly, my cable company took away my DVR and replaced it with a Scientific America DVR unit that doesn't use a USB interface. It uses an interface called "sata" and i was hoping someone knew of a company that makes either a USB to sata interface or a cable that has a sata plug on the end that will work with my small plug end (I don't know what that end is called). My WD dorsn't have a name on it, but the part number is WDBAAF0010HBK, I think; small print.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-13, 10:25 PM
I think I found what you need but to be sure I would ask the company that sells it. It is a Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA adapter available at Tiger Direct here is the link Sabrent USB-DSC8 USB 3.0 SATA/IDE 2.5/3.5/5.25 Hard Drive Converter - AC Power Cord, LED Lights, Driverless at TigerDirect.com . There were other adapters starting on this page http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ds=SATA+to+usb . The first adapter that I included a link for looked the most promising. I would try Newegg.com too as they sometimes have better things for a lower price and sometimes not. Either place though has some good adapters. You can also try Cables To Go which I see has changed their name to C2G. Anyway C2G makes many of the same cables that Tiger Direct and New Egg sell and you can get expert advice there too here is their web address C2G - Adapters, Cables for Coax, Cat5, HDMI, Audio, Video, VGA. I have never bought anything on their website as it is a bit more expensive there however I know from past experience that they even make custom cables but you have to get those from C2G. I hope this helps please post back if you get a cable that works for you as others may be having the same kind of problem.

Old 01-31-13, 02:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hedgeclippers - unfortunately those will not work. They go in the 'wrong direction' - that is, the OP wants to plug a USB drive into an eSATA (external SATA) connector. The adapters are for plugging a SATA drive into a USB port - which is pretty much what he already has inside the MyBook (we discussed those adapters a while back, they are for connecting an internal drive to another computer for purposes of backup/virus scanning/Windows repair)

mcmahst - Unfortunately no such animal exists for what you need to do. What you will need to do is take the actual hard drive out of the MyBook and install it into an enclosure that has an eSATA interface. It's not difficult, but it will void the MyBook warranty if it has one..

These are the ones you need. Newegg.com - Accessories, Desktop Computer Accessories, External Enclosures, 3.5", external esata They start at $20. Unfortunately I don't have hands on experience with any of the ones they have now - and they don't carry either of the ones I have anymore... My preference is to use a metal one, because they help keep the drive cooler without requiring a fan. I would not purposely put anything with a fan in a home theater setting - The fans in my Xbox and PS3 are incredibly distracting even with the volume up loud..

Old 01-31-13, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Matt cant he hook it up through his network? I know my Wd my book has that twonky app. I have not tried it yet though.

Old 01-31-13, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, he's using it to boost the recording capacity of his DVR, not to play his content. DVRs do not work with network drives, they must be connected directly to the eSATA or USB port (whichever the unit has)

Old 01-31-13, 04:41 AM
That would be great if he could network it. Taking the hard drive out of the my book wouldn't be a great deal of work but I personally wouldn't want to take one apart. I sure thought that would work that I showed him too bad. I think if I was him I would just buy an sata drive as they are not that expensive and put that in the enclosure. He can then use the mybook for something else.

Old 01-31-13, 07:23 AM
TY for all the help. I see WD makes a drive that looks just like the one I have (it is 2 years old) and it's only $90 and it has both USB and esata connectors. I think i'll just get a new one and take the other one and connect it to my desktop to use as a backup drive.