wireless disconnects?

Old 02-03-13, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wireless disconnects?

I have a Cisco/Linksys WRT 160N router.......recently updated, but aam plagued with disconnects when using my laptop with it. Auto or manual connects fine, but seems to disconnect from the network randomly.......any good ideas as to causes, fixes?

Loca PC shop says buy another router (Cisco/Linksys E4200V2) but not willing to waste money if not needed........or buy another router that wears out in a few years

thanks for amy help, comments.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-13, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
Can we assume you are trying to connect with the wireless ?

If you right click on the icon of the two computer screens in the lower tray of your computer......select network and sharing center (can also be found in control panel). It will show you the signal strength of your wireless connection.

Based on the strength you may be able to determine if your router has a weak transmit output.

You could also have problems with interference from another wireless router in your immediate area. If you go into the network and sharing center......try disconnecting from your router. You should then see connect to a network. Click on that and it will bring up a list of wireless routers in your nearby area...... including your own.

Ar there any other routers listed that are as strong as yours ?

Old 02-03-13, 12:29 PM
signal strength varying

No other routers show in the area........

When connected, signal strength varies from 6.0 Mbps to 54.0 Mbps

thanks for the reply

Old 02-03-13, 04:20 PM
What are you using in the laptop to connect? Is it "N" or "G"?

How far are you from the router?

Don't forget, cordless phones can operate in the 2.4ghz range as do microwaves, etc.

Old 02-03-13, 06:00 PM
Sometimes too you need to repair your connection and you can do that easily in both Windows XP and windows 7. Right now I am not using a Windows 7 computer so I will give you instructions for Windows XP right click on the thing that looks like a computer screen next to the bars that you see for signal strength then click on repair it should help at least for a while. Even though my router is as close as I can get it, it is still in my basement office and I have drop outs too with sometimes a loss of signal. Wireless though isn't perfect and about the best you can do is move the router as close as you can.