Who knows ATL100.dll ?

Old 02-05-13, 04:42 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Who knows ATL100.dll ?

I'm trying to re-install McAfee off of my CD, but I get an error message saying that my atl100.dll is missing.

What does this mean?
What does it do?
And how do I get it back?

(I probably "lost" it when I re-installed Windows on my machine)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-13, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 39 Posts
A google of the dll file name brought up bunches of hits. Here's one with a potential "fixer" included. I can't vouch for it, but may be worth a look:

atl100.dll free download - DLL-files.com

Old 02-05-13, 04:56 AM
L
I've tried a couple of those - You download a scanning program, it scans, then says you must pay for the repair steps...

I'm not sure if the one you mentioned is like that. I'll try it this evening. Thanks

I've also read that I can copy the atl100.dll file from a known good computer with similar OS (XP). Where would I look for that file?

Old 02-05-13, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
Local disc C > windows > system 32

It's an application extension.

The easiest way to find it on another computer is just type atl100.dll into the search bar.
Go to START and use the search.

Old 02-05-13, 08:27 AM
L
Excellent.

Now, can I just copy this to a CD or flash drive, then load it onto my machine at home? Or could I copy and e-mail it?

(Obviously, I'm a novice - with a capital N)

Old 02-05-13, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Either would work; just need to make sure it's copied into the right folder. I noticed the site I linked says 1 free dll fix.

Old 02-05-13, 11:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or maybe God is trying to tell you what most experienced computers users would, "Don't use McAfee."

Old 02-05-13, 11:47 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Ray echoed my sentiments - why are you using McAfee?

Old 02-05-13, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
There is an echo from Texas to Wisconsin to Georgia on the same frequency. I can hear it now......Don't do it!! Is there some mysterious reason you want to install one of the worst antivirus programs that takes over your computer and hogs resources???

Old 02-05-13, 04:57 PM
H
The echo goes up to Maryland too Larry I agree I had McAfee too and had nothing but problems. This was back in the Windows 98 days which I have now graduated to with Windows 7. McAfee had great customer service and they should have but it always seemed that their solutions caused more problems than they were worth.

I personally don't know exactly what that dll does but to do the kind of scan you did by downloading software puts your computer at risk no matter what anti-virus you have. I found this on Microsofts Answer page where people ask questions in a forum like this here is the link Unable to access Internet and getting an "atl100.dll" error - Microsoft Community . It talks about System File Checker for Vista and Windows 7 which is also on Windows XP and is much better to use than a program you download. Unfortunately these companies that put out these repair offers most of the time want to cause you more problems.

As to anti-virus software stick with either Avast,AVG,Microsoft Security Essentials or Comodo all of which are available for free and are not system hogs. Of the list though I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials above any of the others. I also strongly suggest you remove any repair software you recently downloaded.

Old 02-06-13, 04:35 AM
L
See, that's the problem with us Novices, we don't know which I.T. guy to believe. I was talking to a computer repair company who told me to get rid of Microsoft Security Essentials and buy McAfee... Luckily, I only paid $20 for the CD.

Okay, if I switch back to MSE, will I still need to fix the DLL problem? Or is it only a "problem" in McAfee's eyes?

Old 02-06-13, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Must be on McAfee's payroll. Generally when someone asks about AV programs here there are about half a dozen that get repeated recommendations like the ones hedge listed. Personally I've been using BitDefender for several years with no complaints. I have no personal experience, but Kaspersky also is often highly mentioned. On the free side, AVG has always gotten high marks and it's what I used prior to going to the BitDefender.

Just a guess, but I think the dll issue would not appear.

Old 02-06-13, 07:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
I use MSE and Avast. I switched from AVG to Avast when AVG 8.0 was a resource hog. I've been told AVG resolved that issue but I've been happy enough with Avast I have no reason to switch back.

We have McAfee on our machines at work so I can tell you my frustration comes from first hand experience, not hearsay and I would not even think about putting it on one of my PCs even if it was free.

Old 02-06-13, 01:10 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'm definitely not an IT guy, but he sold you something and made money for something you could have obtained for free. Money gone.
If you installed McAfee, you will not only have to use their removal tool, you will have to remove bits and pieces that hang on long afterwards and rear their ugly heads occasionally. Good luck.

Old 02-06-13, 01:51 PM
H
I also am not an IT guy but learned through the years what programs caused problems. Most IT people don't even like McAfee but that is what most corporations want so they do what they are told not what they like to do. Larry is right if you want McAfee completely removed from your system you will need their software removal tool. It's been too long ago for me now to say whether I had problems immediately after the uninstall but I believe that at least within a year I had to at least format the drive and then re-install Windows. You might get lucky though after uninstalling McAfee and find that everything is gone at least I hope so. By the way don't try Norton either it causes about as many problems and isn't worth the money spent in my opinion.

Old 02-06-13, 04:03 PM
J
Man that echo is all over the place..

Originally Posted by Louuuuu View Post
See, that's the problem with us Novices, we don't know which I.T. guy to believe. I was talking to a computer repair company who told me to get rid of Microsoft Security Essentials and buy McAfee... Luckily, I only paid $20 for the CD.

Okay, if I switch back to MSE, will I still need to fix the DLL problem? Or is it only a "problem" in McAfee's eyes?
He's either a thief or a moron.. Or both.. I don't think McAfee sells a 'standalone' disc anymore - was it a burned copy with an inkjet label or was it in retail packaging?? Last I remember they only sold subscriptions, and the lowest priced subscription is $35..

No self-respecting repair company would EVER install - or even recommend - McAfee. It's THAT bad. Basically the only way they get customers (aside from kickback snakes like you met) is by preinstalling it on new computers, and bundling it with Adobe product downloads (the sneaky kind where if you aren't paying attention during install of the Adobe product you can install McAfee by accident). I own a computer repair business, and I run into MANY issues related to McAfee.

That said, as far as I can find, the atl100.dll file is related to McAfee only. You should not have any issues without it.

What you want to do now is UNinstall McAfee using the Add/Remove Programs (Programs and Features in Vista/7). Then once that's done, run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool (found here: http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe)

Once that is all done, reboot. Now, to ensure that McAfee has not damaged any critical system files (damage to these files causes the issues down the road that Chandler is talking about), go to Start -> Accessories. Right Click on Command Prompt, then select "Run as Administrator". If you are on XP, type the Administrator password. If you are on Vista/7, just click Yes on the Administrator rights request. Then when the "DOS box" comes up, type "SFC /SCANNOW" (without quotes) and hit enter.

This runs the System File Checker and if any files are corrupt it will replace them with good copies. This could take 20-30 mins if its a slower computer. But when it completes, you can close the "DOS box" and consider yourself McAfee free..

Have fun!

Old 02-06-13, 05:45 PM
H
I thought you would agree Matt and I am glad you decided to add your comments too. I never did like McAfee and later didn't like Norton either as I said before. Much better to use the free programs in my opinion.

Old 02-06-13, 07:00 PM
D
In the early to mid 90's, both Norton and McAfee were good products. They haven't been any good for a looong time. I use another oldie, but goodie: F-Prot. You still have to turn off the stuff that runs in the background, but it costs $30 a year to stay current and can be used on 5 pc's.

Old 02-07-13, 04:12 AM
L
Last night, I looked in "Add/remove programs" to get rid of McAfee before installing MSE. There was no McAfee programs listed. (Remember that this was after re-installing Windows, and that I was having troubles loading the McAfee program off of the CD onto my "clean" machine.) So, can I assume that there are no McAfee ghosts that will haunt me later?

Old 02-07-13, 07:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
No, do not assume that.

Go into the program files and windows directories and look for any folders with the McAfee name on them. There might be other places to look and file names to look for but we need to wait for someone like Jersey Matt to chime in again for that level of detail.

Old 02-07-13, 08:36 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Mat previously wrote:
Then once that's done, run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool (found here: http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe)
That would be a good idea just to be sure no trash was left while trying to install.

Old 02-08-13, 01:06 PM
J
If the error occurred at the very beginning of the install as part of a prerequisite check - ie: the missing file caused the install to abort before it had a chance to modify anything, then yes it is safe to assume that you won't have issues. If it got partway through and then errored out, then there will be garbage to clean up, even if there is no entry in the Add/Remove list. Either way, run the removal tool, reboot, then run the System File Checker to ensure nothing remains.