My system is browsing slowly. Please Help!!!

Old 02-08-13, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My system is browsing slowly. Please Help!!!

My computer is working fine but internet has slowed down cosiderably. I have done some speed tests and it shows the same speed (around 5mbps) as it used to show earlier. However, it takes approximately one minute to open any website. I have tried all browers (IE, FireFox and Chrome) but result is the same. In the task manager tab, it does not show any processes occupying the system resources. My system specifications are as given.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you run a malware scan?

Old 02-08-13, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Do you run any kind of anti virus program ?

Old 02-08-13, 02:09 PM
It is possible you have malware on your computer try Super Anti Spyware that you can download free here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!. Run the program and see if you picked up a virus or Trojan horse. This program is also good at getting rid of tracking cookies which just clog up your hard drive over time. After you do that clear your browsers history and cache and then everything should be running faster. I only use the free version of Super Anti Spyware along with Microsoft Security Essentials which is also free. The free version of Super Anti Spyware will not self update you have to open the program and then it will prompt you and ask if you want to update. So that is a bit annoying with the free version of Super Anti Spyware but well worth that minor annoyance. I keep my programs updated at least weekly most of the time and try to do a scan if I can every other week.

Old 02-08-13, 02:25 PM
I have to ask are you the only computer on your network wired directly to the modem/router?

Old 02-08-13, 02:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I had to reset my cable modem once when the internet was acting slow.

Old 02-08-13, 03:56 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are on DSL, make sure all your phones, including fax machines are filtered, and change filters if necessary. I had a filter go bad once and it dropped my computer's internet performance drastically.

Old 02-08-13, 08:30 PM
If you have good speeds on test sites like Speakeasy Speed Test or Ookla | Speedtest, then you can pretty much rule out things like LAN congestion or DSL/cable modem problems. If those were having issues, everything would be slow, not just the browsers.

What it sounds like to me is either your ISP's DNS servers (the servers that translate a www address into a numerical IP address) are having issues, or there is a 'black hole router' close to you. A BHR is a malfunctioning or misconfigured router somewhere on the path between your computer and the one you are trying to reach. Basically it just sends data to a non-existent address or discards it without returning an error, so your browser has to sit there and wait until it times out to resend the request. The closer the BHR is to you, the more sites get affected by it.

First thing to do.. Open a command prompt (press Windows Key +R and type CMD), and in the black box type "tracert google.com" (without quotes). See what it says. If there are any "hops" after your router (192.168.1.1) that have a large number of ms (over 3000ms), or if there is just *'s at any point, then that indicates a black hole router. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it except maybe [email protected] at your ISP - but it is only their problem if it's the first hop or two after your router.. After that it's out of their hands, although they can usually open a ticket with the backbone provider to get it worked on.. You basically just have to wait until it gets fixed.

If the traceroute shows no problem, (or if it takes a while for traceroute to figure out that google.com = 74.125.225.229) then you will want to check your DNS servers. Download a program called DNSBench and run it. It will test the DNS you are currently using against other publicly available ones (such as Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), and it will tell you if there are issues or if using a different one might make things faster for you.

GRC's*|*DNS Nameserver Performance Benchmark**

Last edited by JerseyMatt; 02-08-13 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 09:12 PM
Good information to have Matt thanks for posting it. My system is free of viruses and other things that could slow it down but I have noticed occasionally some things taking forever to load even with an up to date modern processor. My problem hasn't been bad but I certainly will check this out.

Old 02-08-13, 11:52 PM
Group Moderator
Matt your benchmark link seems to be dead or malformed.

Old 02-09-13, 02:34 AM
I noticed that myself Ray but was fortunate enough to be able to find a download on softpedia. Maybe the website is temporarily down here is the link to the softpedia website Download DNS Benchmark 1.2.3925.0 Free - Determine the exact performance of a local and remote DNS nameserver - Softpedia .

Matt by the way that was really great advice I have been having trouble on my laptop loading a television guide website and now it works much better. I will run the same thing on my desktop too and I am sure it will do much better.

Whoever wants to download the software click on the next thing that says download and that takes you to the download page for the DNS-Benchmark. When you get to the page look for the link that says scanned by Softpedia and then click on that.

After you download and run the software once and let it do everything you want it to do you will not be able to find the program once you exit out of it or at least I didn't. You can however find it in your download list and run it again.

Old 02-09-13, 06:24 AM
I don't know why the link is dead today, I checked it when I posted it.. It's doing the same thing when you click it from a Google search. There must be issues at that site. It'll probably be back soon - that's the main product page.. Also FYI, I'm wary of giving links from Softpedia and CNet for things like this because their links are starting to get deceptive - and a lot of times you wind up downloading one of their download managers or ad partner's "free system scanners".

Hedge - glad it worked for you. I run this any time I set up a new computer for a customer or anytime someone complains of slow internet.. And the reason you couldn't find it again is because it is a very lightweight standalone program (it's only 160k) that doesn't install. You just put the downloaded file somewhere and run it as needed.

Old 02-09-13, 07:12 AM
Link is working again..

Old 02-09-13, 01:30 PM
How ironic.. I was just flipping through a site and I found this.. This is exactly what I was talking about with CNet/Softpedia/etc..

Old 02-09-13, 02:26 PM
I agree with you Matt I didn't like the advertising either or the prompts for other software I didn't want on my computer.Use to be they didn't have all of that but with the website being down I figured it was better than nothing.

Old 02-09-13, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Nice tool and just in case your wondering, yes, it runs in Wine without tweaking. (If you run Windows just ignore this post.)

Old 02-10-13, 12:50 AM
I tried it in Wine too with Linux and it works fine just like you said it would Ray. Playing videos with Flash player was a bit slower before running DNS Benchmark and afterwards on this old beat up laptop it seems to run a bit better. Might have to run it again sometime in the next few months but for now it is satisfactory.

Old 02-12-13, 07:08 AM
I have sorted out the problem. It was a DVD lying in my DVD Rom. It was affecting the browsing speed. It works fine when I get that DVD out.

Old 02-12-13, 01:32 PM
A dvd in the drive should have absolutely no effect on your browsing speed. What dvd is it?

Old 02-13-13, 05:47 AM
It was a movie "The Dictator". I have noticed that my system speed has also improved since I got rid of that movie DVD. I have come to know it was a pirated copy and had virus.

Old 02-13-13, 08:56 AM
It still makes no sense that simply taking the DVD out of the drive would fix your issue. Viruses do not 'run' off of a DVD to where taking the DVD out cures your infection. When they are run they install themselves to the hard drive and would require the same disinfection methods as any other virus.

Old 02-13-13, 01:06 PM
You are right about that Matt I had a game once that I put in my computer years ago and it installed a virus. At the time I had to wipe the whole drive so I am not doing that again. Besides I have moved away from games anyway except for the occasional game of internet checkers. Probably not the smartest thing to play but when one gets bored and has nothing else to do it is fun to play.

Old 02-14-13, 08:50 AM
First of all, DO NOT turn off Windows Updates under ANY circumstances. I have an analogy for what that's like but I can't say it here. Lets just say it's a really stupid idea.

Second of all, unless you are using dialup (which the OP isn't), Windows and other programs do their updates at any time - and unless your computer is a total dinosaur (which if you're still using dialup it may very well be), programs downloading updates will not affect your browsing speed in any way.

Third, clearing the cache does help SOMETIMES, but it won't DEFINITELY solve slow browsing.. Especially when the OP claims it was solved by removing a DVD from the drive. In reality, the DVD had absolutely nothing to do with it, and there was a DNS problem that resolved itself sometime between the last time he tried browsing and the time he removed the DVD.

Old 03-07-13, 07:01 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
An interesting thread to keep alive, very informative, as most of us laypersons assume that an ever-slowing connection (DSL in my case) is due to the usual suspects (malware, temp. files, cookies, and esp. one's ISP deliberately slowing the connection over a period of months to "encourage" upgrading the speed.
Which is what I was about to do until reading this thread.

My DNS Benchmark indicates a single Nameserver, (an apparent disadvantage), but it is fast, reliable, returns errors properly & replies to all queries.

The "Tracert" test, done several times over the last day or 2, however shows only *s on lines 2 thru 7, (with line 1 at <1ms., & line 8 at 16 to 18 ms.)

Does this indicate a Black Hole Routers on my line?

In a related question, About 10 years ago when I first tried to subscribe to DSL (AT&T) I was told I was too far from the "Node" (I think was the term used), but a year later, another test indicated OK. Is the farther one is located from the origin of the signal (the node??), the more likely one is to encounter Black Holes or other problems?