Monitor Going South?

Old 02-10-13, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Monitor Going South?

Dell 4550 I think with one of those flat panel monitor, no name on it.

Last night it would go on then off, on then off. Looked good while on but you couldn't click on anything. Today it stays on unless you click on something then it goes out. Half the icons are showing up.

Next to the start button the icons are just a black rectangle, same on the clock side.

Restarted it with the button on the front, no beeps and 4 green lights on the back.

Does this sound like the monitor going south or something more sinister? I don't know, never had a monitor go before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-13, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When a monitor goes, it's all or nothing. You don't get just icons that don't show up. Either the LCD driver board goes - which gives you a lit black screen, or the backlight driver goes - which gives you a dark screen that you can sorta see the desktop if you look at the right angle in a lit room.

This sounds like your video card bit the dust. Unfortunately most low-mid budget Dells have onboard video, which means it probably doesn't have a slot to install a separate card. That being the case, it probably won't be worth buying a new motherboard, because for what you'll spend on that and having it installed if you're not comfortable doing it, you can buy a whole better computer.

If you find the exact model number, I can see if it can take a separate video card.. That'll run you $40 or so but at least it'll get you working again.

Old 02-10-13, 12:11 PM
Just crawled back there and the monitor does connect to a card. It is a Dimension 4550. My son had a friend make this for me so I could run Silent Hunter III, my 8200 couldn't handle it.

I have Speccy on that computer so I could see what the video card is but I can't access it, every time I click on something it goes black. Any ideas there?

What does show up on the screen is crystal clear so I guess it isn't the monitor then.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-13, 06:33 PM
I agree with JerseyMatt Baldwin while I don't have any flat panel monitors and still have the old crt type they are not all that different when they go bad. Usually what I have seen are a bunch of lines and a distorted picture and sometimes it just will not light up at all. Those flat panel monitors though are not that different from the lcd tv sets out there and usually they just die.

Doubtful that it is spyware or any kind of other malware although sometimes it can cause video problems. I looked up your model myself for you and luckily you can get a replacement AGP for even less than what JerseyMatt mentioned. From what I read of your latest post it looks like you tried the monitor on another computer and it seems to work. I will give you two links for AGP cards one for Tiger Direct and the next for New egg. Video / Graphics Cards AGP Interface Type at TigerDirect.com . Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Video Cards & Video Devices, Desktop Graphics Cards, AGP 4X/8X . Not telling you what to buy but New Egg has some refurbished cards for $18.99 and $29.99 which I personally think might do fine for you as some but not all refurbished cards are just as good if not better than the new cards. Any of these cards though should work fine according to your computers specifications.

Old 02-10-13, 06:46 PM
Yeah I was actually thinking it was a newer computer with PCIe cards. the fact that it is older and uses AGP makes the replacements even cheaper. There's a bunch of decent "new old stock" cards from nVidia and EVGA on ebay for like $15-40.

"New old stock" refers to brand new items that are simply obsolete and no longer sold in retail outlets. They are not used or refurbished.

Old 02-10-13, 09:48 PM
Good deal, cards are cheaper than a monitor.

After snowblowing tomorrow (we got ~6-8 inches ) I'll pull that card out and see what it is.

Thanks very much guys!

Old 02-10-13, 10:18 PM
You are welcome if you get a chance to and if you have a camera it would be interesting to see some pictures of all of that snow. Glad you have a snow blower it certainly makes it much easier to get rid of the snow.

Old 02-10-13, 10:33 PM
You can send some of it down this way! We need water BADDDDD!

Old 02-11-13, 09:43 AM
You guys are right. I switched monitors to be sure and it works fine.

On the card it says:

GeForce FX5200 D128M

SH5200TB-128D-CB85

FRAS2-309072-V4.34.20.75.01

VDD8616A8A-5B

Warranty sticker says 10-2004

Guess I'll have to go looking.

Sorry, have to keep the snow as it's drier than a popcorn fart up here.

Thanks

Last edited by Baldwin; 02-11-13 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-11-13, 10:18 AM
Here is a used one that looks very similar to mine....

GeForce FX5200 D128M AGP Video Graphics Card D33058 La FX20 128D DB85 | eBay

Here is a new one for $22, would this one work?

NVIDIA GeForce GF DDR 256MB FX 5500 8x 4X AGP VGA Video Card with DVI | eBay

Sorry, I don't understand all those numbers except AGP and memory.

Thanks

Old 02-11-13, 01:25 PM
Either one of those will work as long as they are AGP. The main thing to remember with AGP cards is the buffer memory some very old cards have 64 mb some have more and some have very little. For things like word processing it doesn't matter that much but if you want to look at video it does. The newer cards have a buffer memory of 128mb and higher. Both of the refurbished cards I showed you on New Eggs website have 512mb but a card in the middle with 256 just might do well for you. Here is another VGA card on ebay PNY NVIDIA GeForce 5600 256MB DDR AGP 4X 8x Graphics Card w DVI VGA s Video | eBay . This one is used but has a bit better price than some and does have a fan something like yours. I actually like your second choice better it costs a bit more but would be new too but it gives you something to think about. Please post back when you decide.

Old 02-11-13, 10:25 PM
One thing I should have mentioned earlier especially with a used or refurbished card is to make sure it comes with software. You can sometimes find software on the internet but it is much better if it already has the software. You especially need to ask that of e-bay sellers if the software is not mentioned or is not pictured. Anyway what I said before about posting back I hope you do as I will be interested in what you decide and whether you run into any hurdles.

Old 02-12-13, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I think I'll go with the new one I showed, if they have any left.

Hurdles? You ever suck up a big ol' phone book with a snowblower? Ruined my day.

Thanks

Old 02-13-13, 01:12 PM
Sorry you have had problems with your snow blower Baldwin. No I meant driver conflicts I have had to deal with them before for the video card. So if you have any problems just post them and I will tell you what I did. Have a nice day!

Old 02-13-13, 03:02 PM
No problem, I knew what you meant. I was more than hot that because of laziness I could have screwed up my $1300 snowblower.

People that delivered the Yellowbook decided to just stack them on top of the box (outdoor PO boxes with a lock) instead of bringing them door to door like they are supposed to. Rant over. Didn't hurt the Toro, I just had to dig the book out what was left of it.

Card should be here friday or saturday, I'm sure it'll work fine unless I get that with the Toro.

Old 02-13-13, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
People that delivered the Yellowbook decided to just stack them on top of the box (outdoor PO boxes with a lock) instead of bringing them door to door like they are supposed to.
That's better than they do here. If we are lucky, they will tie the bag to the mailbox but usually they just throw it on the ground in the neighborhood of the mailbox. Over the yrs I've found my new phone book in the ditch, under the snow and various other places where it might be a week or so before I notice it

I found the new phone book in the road this year, should have left it there. The print is so small I think my magnifying glass might need a magnifying glass

Old 02-15-13, 05:23 PM
The print is so small I think my magnifying glass might need a magnifying glass

You got that right. No card today, should be tomorrow.

I had to say something to get past 666. :smoke:

Old 02-16-13, 04:08 PM
No joy here. All the monitor does is says "no input signal" and "monitor is going to sleep."

Old 02-16-13, 06:02 PM
Windows should have set up a temporary driver and should have seen your monitor. It could be that it is not recognizing a flat panel monitor. I have only used a crt monitor or a flat panel television with an HDMI cable so I am not as well versed on flat panel monitors.

What I would suggest is that you temporarily switch to a crt monitor and then see if you have the same problem. First though check your connections inside and out and see if the card is properly seated. Then reconnect the monitor only this time using a crt monitor. If you see windows starting let it complete and it will probably go into safe mode as the hardware was changed. Go to control panel open device manager and uninstall the display adapters by right clicking then scroll down to uninstall. Then insert the software for the new card and let it install the new drivers.

I didn't have my monitor go off like you did but did have display problems with the colors not being right so I knew the card was working but it just wasn't displaying right. Once I uninstalled the old adapter though and installed the new software everything worked well from then on. If that doesn't work I suggest you try the card in another computer as it may be bad. Just be careful of static electricity and always unplug the computer to prevent it from coming on when you take the card out or put it back in.

Old 02-17-13, 03:40 AM
Good ideas there, thanks. I'll switch monitors first and if that doesn't do it I'll crawl back there and unhook everything. I had to get away from it yesterday so it didn't end up going through the window.

These Dells have what I think is called a clam shell case, it opens like a suitcase. When I lay it on its side on the kitchen table do I dare power it up to see if the fan on the card runs? I'm wondering if the hard drive has to be flat when it's running or not. I don't know.

Thanks

Old 02-17-13, 05:38 AM
Switched monitors, no go. Removed card and re-installed.

Stood the thing up on the kitchen table and powered it up, fan on the card does not run. Or is it temperature controlled? Not hooked to a monitor it isn't doing anything so maybe it isn't supposed to be running.

Old 02-17-13, 01:07 PM
Switching monitors doesn't really tell you much, because the power on POST screen shows up in 640x480 - a resolution that ANY monitor (be it CRT, LCD, LED, or plasma) can display.

Does the computer beep at you at all? Is there a color pattern being shown by the diagnostic lights on the back of the computer? The fan not running may or may not be a symptom, because most GeForce cards do have a temperature-controlled fan.

Old 02-17-13, 05:35 PM
Let me be the first to say it....I'm an idiot.

No beeps, four green lights.

After trying 3 different monitors, even the video card out of my old XPS T500 (wouldn't fit) I thought I'd try the original card. Putting it in it went THUMP. What was that?

Yes, the end of the new card wasn't going past that little latch on the back end, actually towards the front of the confuser. With it on the table the card was almost eye level and I noticed a lot of gold showing but it wouldn't go down any farther. I should have known better. It works fine now.

What a day, I'm tuckered.

Thanks for the help !!

Old 02-17-13, 07:23 PM
I didn't really think switching the monitors would matter but not ever having a flat panel monitor dedicated to computer usage I didn't really know but now I do and I thank you Jersey Matt I learn something from you every time you post. I really thought that the main thing was the card not being seated well as I said above in my previous post.

Once I had problems with bad memory slots and memory would fall out in the computers slots and the computer would start but wouldn't post. I also had a similar problem with my computer and a video card only this time no video but the fans ran. With each thing you have to listen for that little tiny snap sound as the card be it memory or video goes in. That thing that goes down on the card is important too as you found out Baldwin as that holds your video card in place. Anyway I am glad that everything is now working certainly cheaper than buying a new motherboard.

Old 02-23-13, 07:31 AM
You can send some of it down this way! We need water BADDDDD!

As requested, I sent a bit your way, did it arrive okay?

Old 02-23-13, 11:32 AM
LOL! Yes it did! I think it multiplied in transit, too!! We got just under 16" here, and they're calling for more on Monday..

Old 02-23-13, 01:29 PM
Glad I could help.