HP Officejet Pro 8500 Problem

Old 02-11-13, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HP Officejet Pro 8500 Problem

I bought a HP 8500 all in one 2 years ago from Office Depot with the extended warranty. With 1 month to go on the warranty, it quit printing. I called the extended warranty people, and they told me to box it up and send it to them. 2 weeks later, they sent me a gift card for the purchase price of it. I liked the way my old one printed, so I purchased one on Amazon. I got it, but it was an older model. When I fired it up, it wouldn't print either. I asked around to some gurus that know a lot more than I, and they said the problem was the print heads. I went back to Amazon and bought them. It still didn't print, so I contacted Amazon who got in touch with the seller. They sent me another 8500, but it STILL will not print. I am at my wits end. Am I doing something wrong?? Any help will greatly be appreciated. dinky

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-13, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
When you try to print......does the printer light up and start to initialize ?

(initialize is that 60 seconds of transport movement inside the unit before the printer decides it's time to print)

I have the same unit here.....I've been thru a printhead already

Old 02-11-13, 05:23 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Hi dinky,
Inkjets don't like to sit on the shelf unused.
When you say they don't print, what lights show up? Between the self test it does when it starts and the light indication when it fails you should know where the problem is. PJ probably has the book if you didn't get one, but walk through their troubleshooting and tell us the results.

Been awhile,
Bud

Old 02-11-13, 06:37 PM
When I try to print, it seems to laugh at me. Seriously, when I shut it off and restart, it will do a start up and check the "system" out. It will align the print heads and print out a blank sheet. I just bought the print heads, so I think they are good. I've even switched them around. I now think I've got 2 new paperweights. I really don't think they'd make anchors, they'd be too light.

Old 02-11-13, 08:31 PM
Group Moderator
And it doesn't show any diagnostic codes ?

Old 02-13-13, 06:49 PM
I'm not getting any codes except I get one saying I need to check my cyan cartridge. I replaced it with another, but it says that one too is almost out of ink. I know the cartridge is good.

Old 02-13-13, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Still trying to figure out exactly what is going on.

When you click on print in your computer.....does the printer do anything at all ?