Router vs Hub

Old 02-15-13, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Router vs Hub

I am using a Linksys Fast ethernet/DSL 4 port router in my home network. I need an additional port, and I have an older OnQ 10/100 8 port Duel Speed Hub. Is the Hub the equivalent of a router?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 01:57 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hub

A hub is for a wired network.

Old 02-15-13, 02:10 PM
A hub is not a router, but it will work for what you need. A switch would be better.

A router is used between networks, such as your home network and your internet providers. Packets (data) are "routed" between them as needed.

A hub is a distribution box. Each port shares all data, sort of like a "party line" type phone. If anybody is talking everyone hears it.

A switch also distributes signals but only data that needs to go to the port is allowed, the rest doesn't. It's like a modern phone in that only the intended recipient hears what's being sent to it.. This cuts down on "collisions" and can improve network performance.

Old 02-15-13, 03:53 PM
I hate wires, especially when they may hard to get at.

I just installed a Motorola combination model/wireless router with some wire connections. Now I can have fewer pieces of equipment and fewer wires getting tangled.

I ran the power and cable to the Motorola unit and used a hard wired to my computer and used wireless to my 2 laptops and plan to go wireless to my printer from the laptops. Only one power cord and one hard wired unit from the "box".

I am sure there other similar pieces of equipment that do the same thing.

I am lazy and hate wires and the associated trouble-shooting when something goes wrong.

Dick

Old 02-16-13, 08:11 AM
OK, now I am wondering what the difference is between a switch and a router. The one I have is a 4 port Linksys DSL router. I have found several 8 port linksys switches advertised. If I use the hub, does it connect to the existing router? If so, how? If I replace the existing router with an 8 port unit, must it say DSL router or is a switch equivalent?

Old 02-16-13, 09:12 AM
A router is used to "route" packets BETWEEN different networks - your ISP's and your home network for example. The ip addresses will be different on both sides of the router. The router "readdresses" the packets so that they get to their destination, and back.

You don't need another router.

Just get a switch and plug it into one of the ports on your existing router - DONE.

Or, you could plug the hub into one of the ports on your existing router - DONE.

If you want to replace your existing ROUTER, you need another ROUTER.

Old 02-16-13, 09:44 AM
Thank you! Thank you! This will be easy.

Old 02-17-13, 11:40 AM
Just to add what a lot have said so far:

Easiest solution is to add switch to your router. Yes, you could add a hub to the ethernet port on your router.

BUT, if you're adding more than once device to the hub, you really need to use a switch instead? Why? Because a hub cannot handle collisions like a switch can. Each connection on a switch is a collision domain where as a hub is one collision domain for all connections. A switch is also faster and can repeat the signal (powered hubs can do this to).

Hopefully, that will help you make an informed decision.

Personally, and if you have the cash, I would upgrade to an N600 style router and get a switch. Assuming you have an old router to begin with (I didn't look up your router information).

Old 02-17-13, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a single port router that came with my DSL years ago and I use a switch that cost me about $10 on Ebay. It works great but I'm always a bit nervous when I buy a new device that needs an internet connection because they never mention you can use a switch. Always the instructions only mention using a router. I'm always a bit amazed the devices are truly plug&play and not plug&pray. Plug in the device to my switch, open up my router in my browser and there is the new device all set up and ready to go.