projector problem

Old 02-22-13, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
projector problem

Hi everyone, I have been using a home projection system for about five months now, and suddenly it wont turn on! It is an Epson Home Cinema 5020UB Projector, with the 3D capability, pretty new. Anyway, I am wondering (hoping) that it is just the cord not working , and not the projector, or maybe something we could "do it ourselves"? I found a good place to send it in to be repaired if need be at *****, unless anyone has heard tell of somewhere else? It seemed to be the most legit as this darn thing was very expensive!!! ANYway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-22-13 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Link removed.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-13, 12:06 PM
Fuse maybe?

We deal with a bunch of projectors at my work, usually its one of the bulbs that goes first but if yours wont power up at all, that might not be it..

Old 02-22-13, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Easiest test is to unplug it for 15 or 20 minutes, then plug it back in. Sometimes the electronics in these things get confused and forget how to work.

If that doesn't help, can you tell if the device is getting power at all? I don't know this projector specifically, but does it have any lights on it when it's off? Have you tried another receptacle to ensure it's not a tripped breaker or something like that? You also should be able to swap the cable as it should be pretty standard and the same one used on a computer.

You could probably open it to start testing it, but it would likely void the warranty. Before I ship it off, I'd call around and see if there's an electronics/tv repair place nearby. They may be quicker/cheaper than sending it off. Plus, if it does turn out to be something simple, they'll probably just charge you a $20 bench fee or something.

Old 02-22-13, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
We have one in the office that's a bit fussy and Mike's trick of unplugging it for a few does take care of it.

Old 02-22-13, 01:28 PM
I personally have never used a projector before so as to the diagnosis I leave that to those who know more. Many manufacturers have authorized repair places usually run by independent contractors in various states so an authorized repair place may be closer than you think. Epson too is one of the better brands and I would think that they should have a repair center near you. I certainly would try that above any other place while it is still under warranty.

I found a link to Epsons official support website here is the link Epson Support - Drivers, FAQs, Troubleshooting, Technical Support, Documents & Manuals for Epson Products - Epson America, Inc. . On the page at the right side you will see a place to type in your products name and then a list I assume will show up once you click on the Go button and you can then find your authorized repair center. Good luck to you!

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 02-22-13 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 02-23-13, 06:05 AM
Many projectors have a recessed reset button on the control panel, usually activated with a paper clip. With the projector plugged in, press & hold for five seconds then release. It resets the processor.