Web pages not visible

Old 02-25-13, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Web pages not visible

Home computer: When I go to Dell.com to look for updates, the contents of the page isn't displayed. So I went to DoItYourself.com to beg for help - same thing there.

I'm now at my work computer, and everything is fine. Therefore, I'm thinking some sort of browser setting. If so, which one? I changed Windows Firewall from "Medium-High" to "Medium" but that had no effect.

Home is XP, work is Windows 7. That shouldn't matter, should it?

Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-13, 06:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try opening a command prompt (Windows key+R, type CMD), then in the box that comes up type regsvr32 jscript.dll

Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't. You could also try uninstalling then reinstalling Java. It's usually caused by a flaw in IE that causes Java rendering to fail, but it's hit or miss whether you can easily fix it without reinstalling IE (in XP that involves a repair install of Windows).

Before you resort to a reinstall, try a System Restore back to a point before the problem started.

My suggestion is to simply forget that IE exists and install Firefox or Chrome. IE is crap.

Old 02-25-13, 06:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Did you try a different browser? What browser did you use?

Old 02-25-13, 06:56 AM
It's Internet Explorer.

I have no allegiance to IE, I'll switch and see what happens. What makes Google Chrome or Firefox better? (other than avoiding BS situations like this?)

Old 02-25-13, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Just less things attached to them, so fewer problems.
However, I find some websites seem to work better with a certain browser, so I use all three plus Safari. Then if I come across a problem, I just switch browsers, whichever one works best at that moment.

Old 02-25-13, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
Firefox may have a more familiar interface for you than Chrome. (Based on the last version of IE I used seven or eight years ago.)

Old 02-25-13, 07:19 AM
Basically it comes down to IE being riddled with bugs and security holes, and with Firefox and Chrome there is a free ad-blocker addon (AdBlock Plus) that prevents banner ads, popups, etc from loading.

At this point, there are very few websites that will not work right in Firefox - in fact, most web developers are now optimizing their sites for Firefox. The only ones that specifically require IE are ones that still use archaic ActiveX controls (the most gaping security flaw in IE).

Old 02-25-13, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
My wife uses Chrome exclusively and I use it for a few sites that seem slow even with FF. It's interface is pretty different from either FF or IE but you get used to it pretty quickly. How often do people change their settings or preferences anyway?

Old 02-25-13, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Some sites work best in IE and some programs as well. I have to use IE at work for some things but I view this site in Chrome. Personally, I don't see the need to use FireFox but a lot of people like it. If a site gives me trouble in one browser I try another as my first step.

Old 02-25-13, 12:26 PM
I use Fire Fox almost exclusively with Windows 7 at least for the forum as it is much more stable. I use Google Chrome with Linux though almost exclusively as it is faster than Firefox and for some web pages it just seems to be better. For some things though Firefox wins as the web pages will not fully load on Linux Chrome or Chromium as they call it.

For some pages With Windows XP and IE 8 I have found using compatibility view will solve some web page problems and some times not so it is very hit and miss. I have personally though seen some improvements by removing IE 8 and then re-installing it which sometimes fixes the problem and sometimes doesn't. I agree though a system restore should be the first thing you try before you do anything else. A nice cousin to Chrome is Comodo Dragon as it has some more security added to it and it is free.

Old 02-25-13, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
At Headgeclipper: Chromium is no longer in the PCLOS repository. It has been replaced by the Linux version of Google Chrome.

Old 02-25-13, 08:05 PM
Sorry Ray I sort of did get off topic but there are a few people who use Linux here and I thought a comparison might be of interest while still being on the topic of browsers.

Old 02-25-13, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
hedgeclippers, you weren't off topic. My comment that there is now an official Linux version of Chrome so no need to use Chromium was what was off topic. You were on topic mentioning Chromium but no need to use it anymore in several of the popular flavors of Linux because you can use Chrome.

Old 02-26-13, 03:21 PM
I've found most web pages load perfectly fine in Google Chrome, and I've found it works even with sites that would only work in IE.

Old 02-26-13, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
My only complaint is with a 6+ year old bug the devs have never made any attempt to correct. The text on the tabs are too small and because the size is hard coded no way to adjust.

Old 02-26-13, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Actually, I don't think it has anything to do with a browser to begin with. There must be something else going on with their computer.

Old 02-26-13, 10:45 PM
Lou, if pages aren't displaying as you describe, there may be something pretty serious wrong with your computer. It isn't your browser or Java that's the problem. I don't even have Java installed on this machine and I have yet to see any missing content issues while browsing. (Flash and Quicktime can sub for Java) I use Chrome mainly, but I do have IE (and all the major browsers) just for poops and giggles. They work fine too, even without Java.

Matter-of-factly, I just tried Dell.com in IE and it displays fully.

You should (somehow) send us screen caps of what you're seeing. Just blank white?

Attached Images  

Last edited by Nick D.; 02-26-13 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 05:08 AM
Nick, everything worked fine when I tried with G. Chrome. Wouldn't that indicate a browser issue - not a computer issue?

(and with I.E., completely blank pages...)

Old 02-27-13, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
If one browser works and another on the same PC does not, I feel comfortable saying it's a browser issue.

Old 02-27-13, 07:48 AM
Exactly. And it IS an issue with Java. I've seen it before. The fact that you don't have Java just means you'd never have the problem, because it is a fatal clash between IE and Java (as the result of a bug that Microsoft refuses to address for like 6 years) that causes it.

Old 02-27-13, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
What version of IE are you using? Maybe it needs to be updated?

I have Java installed and I use IE on occasion, and I've never had that problem.
Just saying.