Internet connection/ Router, or Cable box???

Old 02-27-13, 01:35 AM
Internet connection/ Router, or Cable box???

Preface by stating I do not have a clue when it comes to computers or supporting components. Subscribe to T.V. and Internet thru Comcast cable. Purchased laptop and router approx. 4 yrs. ago and except for a couple of occasions have not had a problem gaining access to the internet. Not sure if it has anything to do with my problem but also use a streaming box. Did not have a problem this a.m., however, this evening the computer indicated there's a connection but no access to the internet. I can watch basic t.v. but unable to gain access to the streaming channels thru Roku. After several attempts to reset both router and cable box I happened upon a menu listing the network access connections and noticed I was picking up a signal from a neighbors router and signed on to their network and it worked. Appreciate any suggestins or opinions on possible solutions!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-13, 03:06 AM
I am not really sure how Comcast handles their signal coming into your residence. I do know with Verizon Fios there is a box mounted outside where the fiber optic signal is handled. If the outside box isn't working right then the router might work at just connecting between two computers but it would not be receiving an internet signal. As to whether it would pick up the tv signal I don't know as we don't have the Fios tv service. By the way borrowing your neighbors signal even with permission isn't quite technically legal so I would call Comcast and get your problems fixed but don't mention borrowing the signal.

Old 02-27-13, 05:08 AM
Prior to the problem a window came up noting another computer was using the same ip address and at the time I thought it may have been due to Microsoft, or a simular program, performing an auto software upgrade, or something of that nature. With the mention of Ip address not sure who to contact first, AT&T is the service provider but probly start with Comcast in the morning and see what they have to say?? Thank you for the input.

Old 02-27-13, 08:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm confused.. If your cable and internet are both through Comcrap, why would you call AT&T?? AT&T does not sell cable modem internet, only DSL.

The conflicting IP address could be a couple things, some bad.. What brand/model router is it?

Do you have any Comcrap software installed on the computer? (the answer should be no - there's no reason to install that garbage)

Do you have any other computers or devices besides the Roku on the network?

What version of Windows?

Are you using a Motorola Surfboard modem or another brand (and who owns it, you or Comcast)?

Old 02-27-13, 10:13 AM
According to cable co. they are experiencing problem in my area and currently have line crews working on it. Not sure why it would not effect neighbor but as mentioned I do not have a clue. They expect the problem should be repaired by this p.m. I have some history with the cable co. when I dropped digital package for $13 basic cable the lline crew disconnected my service from the telephone pole by yanking the line from my house later explaining they 'misunderstood' and though I had dropped the service, and it was not the first time. Anyhow, now stream all the family entertainment and unfortunately have to rely on 'Comcrap' for the internet service. Now it's a matter of wait and see. Thanks for the input!!

Old 02-27-13, 12:36 PM
Your neighbor may have Internet service from some source other than Comcast.

Old 02-27-13, 04:34 PM
The neighbors also have cable since Comcast is the only game in town. Not sure if they lost access will ask when I see them tomorrow? At least for now we have access, lots of grumbling going on last pm it was painfull having to watch cable t.v..Appreciated everyone's input, thank you!!

Old 02-27-13, 04:49 PM
I'm sure they have cable TV but they could still have Internet from a DSL telephone line or maybe even wide area wireless from a company such as Clear. Or it could be just your connection that is bad.

Old 02-27-13, 05:14 PM
Neighbors for the past 45 yrs., which consist of 8, and we all would love to have an altenative to Comcast. High speed internet is relatively new in this rural community. Unfortunately AT&T does not offer DLS, although they recently installed fiber options to town which is approx. 10 mi's away and when I spoke to them few months back they have not plans to extend to lines in the immediate future. Oh well, it is what it is???

Old 02-27-13, 06:00 PM
I don't blame you for wanting an option to Comcast. When Verizon ran fiber in my neighborhood I couldn't wait to change. Unfortunately Verizon (now Frontier in my area) screwed up their ordering system and I got an additional six months from Comcast dirt cheap so I waited that six additional months. But I have such superior Internet service now I would NEVER go back to a shared cable Internet connection.

My sister was having so much trouble with her Comcast Internet she went with the fiber from Frontier. Luckily it was already in her front yard. Both of us are just about ready to dump our Comcast TV connections as well.