Outlook won't send pictures

Old 02-27-13, 05:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlook won't send pictures

New topic. (Between my work computer and my home unit, I have tons of questions!)

Work. Microsoft Outlook won't send pictures as attachments. It says the attachments are too large - but they're usually only one or two "standard" photos taken from a digital camera. Occassionally, I need to be able to take pictures of projects and send them to my customers. My current way of doing this is to switch over to my personal MSN e-mail account to send the photos - but that doesn't look professional when my customer gets an e-mail from**** ()

Is there a way to change the Outlook settings to accept "larger" photos?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 02-27-13 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-13, 06:18 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Photos

What file type are the photos?

Old 02-27-13, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 38 Posts
How big are the files? You may need to talk to IT at work - I can send 25 MB of attachments with an email but that's on the larger side for a limit.

Old 02-27-13, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
but they're usually only one or two "standard" photos taken from a digital camera.
No such thing as standard size photos. That's like saying standard size lake. You can use a free program like Irfanview to reduce the file size of images.

Old 02-27-13, 07:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree, you have to talk to your useless IT guys (did they ever fix that ghost in your machine??) and tell them to raise the quota on your account. It's not uncommon for corporate email to be restricted to a couple megs worth.

But Ray is also correct, there is no such thing as a 'standard' photo. The size is dictated by the megapixels and format settings.. My cell phone camera has an 8MP cam, and at full quality its jpg pics can be 5-6 megs. My 14.3MP DSLR saves in a digital negative format which can be upwards of 20MB per pic..

Old 02-27-13, 10:04 AM
JerseyMatt; nice memory. My useless IT guy is still useless. My ghost-infested machine finally crashed big time - 'had to re-install everything and start from scratch.

I'll see if he can raise the quota on the e-mail account. (don't place any bets on this getting done...)

Thanks

Old 02-27-13, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
I don't understand why you don't just resize them, to make them smaller? I resize most of my pics before uploading somewhere. They'll go thru faster too, this way.

Old 03-01-13, 08:35 AM
Surprise! - my worthless I.T. guy just showed up un-announced. He didn't fix anything, but showed me how to make it work. Start the e-mail, then drag the photo from the file to the e-mail. (Instead of sending it through the normal "add attachment' route.) It goes now. 'Don't know why. But as long as it works, why question it...

Thanks for everybody's input.

Old 03-01-13, 09:33 PM
I see this was solved Louuuuu and I am glad things are working well for you. You might or might not already know about Mozilla Thunderbird it is free and open source software from the same people who make the Firefox browser. Not sure what your companies policy is about downloading another e-mail program but for your own personal computer you might want to consider it. I use it for my Verizon e-mail when I want to put pictures in my e-mail. It does a great job of resizing a picture once you learn how to use it and I prefer it to Outlook Express which is on my Windows XP laptop. I also use it on my Windows 7 desktop occasionally to send pictures in e-mail.

Old 03-01-13, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Gmail is also a very easy way to send pictures.

Old 03-04-13, 10:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Nowadays, even cheap cameras take capture huge photos(6-10 Mpixels). Most people probably don't want to receive a multi-megabyte photo in their email.

On Windows 7, I use MS Paint (included) to resize them to a more reasonable size. Usually 640x480 is sufficient, sometimes even smaller. On XP and other systems, there are loads of programs that will do the same thing. It'll get the picture down to a few hundred Kb, much more e-mail friendly - both for your email as well as whomever you're sending to.