Dell PC Diagnostics doesn't work

Old 03-02-13, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dell PC Diagnostics doesn't work

Next issue: Dell Dimension 3000 (Yes, it's old - but not THAT old.) - I reinstalled Windows XP for a clean start - works great, except... I want to fine tune it to the latest updates, but when I go to the Dell website and try to use PC diagnostics - it's always "Windows cannot run diagnostics at this time", etc. (No explanation is given, just "Do you want to notify microsoft?")

How can I get this thing to work?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-13, 11:01 PM
Your referring I assume to the Dell diagnostics utility then? It is listed by Dell as optional software that you really don't need to run as Windows has all of the diagnostics that you would need already. If after you read this and you still want to use it then I have book marked the proper page on Dells website for your computer and can give you a link to the proper download later. It is not specific to your own computer but is for the same model and in this case doesn't look like it has multiple versions for sub models. Having the service tag number in that case is very helpful as Dell does make sub models within a model group depending on the year and type of computer.

I personally would stick with chkdsk and defrag for your diagnostics and leave the Dell software alone as you don't really need it. You can get to either program by clicking on My Computer and then right clicking on the hard drive icon and going from tab to tab and selecting what you need the computer to do. You should defrag the drive once a month unless you have Windows 7 or above as it is automatic with Windows 7 and run chkdsk only when there is an error that can't be resolved through normal means.

Old 03-03-13, 11:48 AM
I'll tell why I asked - Since it was a clean re-install of Windows XP from the original disk, I'm sure I'm about 8 years behind in "updates". Microsoft must think so, too, because Automatic Update gives me 130 files to update. When I let them run, I reboot the computer and get an error message about "A driver was in an infinite loop" - blah blah blah. Bottom line - the only way to get computer running again is to System Restore to a point before the Updates were run. Then, the next time I try to shut down, MS wants to load the 130 updates again. (An endless cycle here.)

I'm thinking that something is missing from Dell updates - something that would let MS updates work without shutting the whole thing down. Again.

I'll run chkdsk and defrag and see what happens.

Old 03-03-13, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Do you have the Dell drivers installed? Usually, if you enter the service tag into Dell's support website, they will tell you exactly what drivers you need to download and install. I don't see any reason to run the specific Dell diagnostics.

Old 03-03-13, 04:44 PM
Louuuuu The problem you have is a corrupted update it happens occasionally even with the best internet connection. What you need to do is download a tool called fix it and that is exactly what it does here is the link Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working. This is directly from Microsoft. Run this and you shouldn't have any further problems. Please post back if you have any further questions or problems and I will try to help you.

Old 03-04-13, 05:32 AM
Got it. Stay tuned. Thanks.

Old 03-04-13, 03:10 PM
'Talk about frustrating...

"Windows Automated Troubleshooting Services BootStrapp has encountered a problem and needs to close"

... and this was on more than one area that I tried to "Fixit".

What does a person do when the repair tool doesn't run?

Old 03-04-13, 06:43 PM
Louuuuu
I have another fix for you but I must say first that the first solution should have worked. What I think happened after looking things over on a Microsoft website is the update manager was corrupted. Fix it should have automatically fixed it here is another link to a page to download Windows Update Manager You cannot install updates after a repair install of Windows XP or after Windows XP SP3 is installed immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2 . Scroll about a quarter of the way down the page and download the software that says for x86 based computers as that is actually for 32 bit computers which is what you have. This should definitely allow for updates and you shouldn't have anymore problems. One way or the other whether it works or not please post back.

Old 03-05-13, 03:52 AM
It sounds like that's what I'm experiencing. Unless you know what you're doing - like HedgeClippers - us ordinary folks would never have discovered this fix. I'll try it this evening. Thanks.

Old 03-05-13, 01:54 PM
Just an ordinary person myself Louuuuu but I have had the same problems myself with bad updates from Microsoft. Some people will tell you just turn the updates off and you can easily do that but then you run into other problems too. Only time to temporarily do that is if you hear an announcement from Microsoft to temporarily suspend updates while they fix a problem. So far I have never heard such an announcement. Louuuuu if this doesn't fix the problem then I don't know. JerseyMatt I am sure would but I can't think of any other solutions. If you still have problems though I will look for a solution and try to find one if I can.

Old 03-05-13, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you really need Windows for any of the things you do? There are safer easier to use operating systems that are free and use free software to do most things. While they will not run Windows programs there are usually equivalent programs that work just as well.

Old 03-05-13, 03:53 PM
He uses this computer for work Ray and he does have someone over from IT to his house but that person is not entirely reliable. So he posts here and I try to help where I can and JerseyMatt takes over when I don't know about something when he is posting. I think this time his problem is fixed but we shall see.

Old 03-05-13, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I will retract my suggestion as not practical.

Old 03-06-13, 04:07 AM
Progress report:

"Method 2" worked. "Register the Wups2.dll file"
At least I think it worked. As soon as I did that, MS Updater installed 137 (!) updates - which ran late into the evening. This morning I started the computer, and it didn't give me the previously mentioned "Driver went into an infinite loop" message. I'll try it out more thoroughly this evening because this problem is on my home computer. (I have other issues with my Dell Vostro at work, but I'm trying to resolve this one now.)

Stay tuned. Thanks.

Old 03-06-13, 02:39 PM
Great I am glad it worked if you have the same problem again just keep those websites bookmarked in case it happens again. It shouldn't but you never know with Windows update it can be unpredictable. If the problem is different for your work computer please post a different question as that helps people find a solution to their problem. Anyway I will stay tuned and be looking to see if you have any other problems. Have a nice day!