Giving a Computer away!

Old 03-07-13, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Giving a Computer away!

Hello,

I want to get rid of my Sony Vaio, its has XP on it.
I don't have any cd's for it and I want to give it to a friend!
Its maybe 10 years old!

My question is without any restore in the computer and no cd, how would I be able
to erase the hard-drive and everything else on the computer, so its safe to give away??

Please help, I don't know what to do and I just don't want to throw this in the trash!!

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-13, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I remove everything from the drive manually through Windows - delete all of the data files. Then I use the overwrite feature in CCleaner (free online) to overwrite the free space on the drive 35 times. After that, I feel pretty comfortable giving it to a friend.

If you have the license key for XP, you could get a key-less disc from Microsoft for a few bucks and that would allow you to format the drive and reinstall the OS.

However, with a 10 year old computer, I would likely remove the hard drive and then the disc from within it, destroy that and dispose of the computer itself rather than give someone something so archaic.

Old 03-07-13, 08:25 PM
Can I make any money off of this with the parts or with-out the hard-drive?

Old 03-07-13, 08:56 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Make money? Honestly, if you can get rid of it without having to pay someone to take it you are money ahead.

Old 03-07-13, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Sure you can make money off of it...... without the hard drive.

Check on eBay. Enter your model number in the eBay search bar and see what they are getting for parts units like yours.

One man's junk is another man's riches

Old 03-08-13, 06:40 AM
And, there's a sucker born every minute....

Old 03-08-13, 02:56 PM
niaown there are many people out there today who are using ten year old computers and even older and very grateful that they have at least something to use. If your friend still needs a computer and you are concerned about privacy you could always totally wipe the hard drive. Of course I understand you don't have a Windows disk and you probably don't want to buy one. You could always download Linux and the distribution I like best is PCLinuxOs. No it isn't Windows but it has some of the very same things that Windows has and will breathe back life into an old laptop. PCLinuxOS supports wireless cards too. If you want more information I will be glad to give you more information.

Old 03-14-13, 08:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would not advise any experiment at your own. Just take this lap top to near by repair shop and aks them to format the hard drive and re-install everything in front of you. They will charge you a little money and install windows in it. That is a risk free way of making this machine useful once again.

Old 03-14-13, 10:01 PM
Here's what I'd do...

If giving to a friend, contact Sony about a replacement installation disc. They'll want the code off of the bottom on the sticker. There will be a fee. I know dell's fee is cheap, IBM/Lenovo's fees are expensive.

If it's cheap (like $20 or less) then just order the disc and use it, then give it to a friend.

If it's expensive, then download "Ultimate boot CD" and use the tools on there to thoroughly wipe the drive.

Then try to sell, if that doesn't work, then donate.

Old 03-14-13, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by ironhorse17 View Post
I would not advise any experiment at your own. Just take this lap top to near by repair shop and aks them to format the hard drive and re-install everything in front of you. They will charge you a little money and install windows in it. That is a risk free way of making this machine useful once again.
LOL! "a little money"? Going rate for an OS install or restore is around a hundred bucks. Not only that, but simply formatting the hard drive does absolutely NOTHING to secure previous data on the drive. Furthermore, there is no way any shop will allow a customer to sit there and watch them work or "do everything in front of them". Sorry, but I don't think you're qualified to advise people on what to do or not do in this area, thanks.

It is not hard to do this yourself - and it is hardly "experimentation". Use any wiping software (CCleaner, DBAN, UBCD) that has a "DoD 5220.22-M" (3 pass) option. That is the method that was used by the Department of Defense for sanitizing data up until a few years ago when they started just shredding/incinerating the drives - basically drives are getting so big and cheap that it's not economical to do a wipe on large numbers of drives, it's cheaper to just install new drives and physically destroy the old ones. If you are really paranoid, you can do a "Gutmann" (35 pass) wipe as Mitch suggestion, but basically it'll take a whole weekend to do it on a large drive (and IMO it's a waste of time unless you have black helicopters following you - no identity thief has access to the kind of equipment you'd need to recover data after a DoD wipe )..

If there is a Certificate of Authenticity/Product Key on the bottom of the computer, then you can legally download a copy of the XP disc (one that matches the key as far as version [ie: Home, Pro, MCE] and one that DOES NOT have serials in it) and reinstall it, using the product key on the sticker.

If the sticker has come off or become illegible, there is a program called Magical Jellybean which can display the key for you. However you might run into a problem during activation if it is the OEM key that was originally used by Sony to load XP onto the computer (ie: it has never been reinstalled). If that is the case, PM me and I will help you with it.

After XP is installed, you may have to go to Sony's website and find a couple drivers for your machine. If you give me the model number I can point you in the right direction.

Old 03-15-13, 12:08 AM
Matt good advice I am just wondering where you find a download copy. I have a computer that has a sticker but no original disk. So it would be helpful to know. Thank you.

Old 03-15-13, 02:02 AM
I have an account with Microsoft TechNet that I download them from.. You can get clean (no serial) versions from Torrent sites that are legal to download. The ones that you can get in trouble for are the ones that are cracked or contain serial numbers (if the uploader has a serial in the description that is ok, as long as you don't use it).

If you tell me what version you need I can point you in the right direction

Old 03-15-13, 03:47 AM
It is Windows XP 32 bit Thank you!

Old 03-15-13, 04:27 AM
Pro, Home, or MCE? .....25..

Old 03-15-13, 01:20 PM
Sorry about that I should have said Pro too. Thank you.

Old 03-15-13, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
From JerseyMatt:
If you are really paranoid, you can do a "Gutmann" (35 pass) wipe as Mitch suggestion, but basically it'll take a whole weekend to do it on a large drive
Yep, it was most of the weekend last time I did it. Dang this paranoia of mine

Old 03-15-13, 04:38 PM
Just 'cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you...