This Device Cannot Start (code 10)

Old 03-18-13, 11:28 AM
This Device Cannot Start (code 10)

I thought my new card was working (GeForce FX 5500) until I opened Google Earth. Message popped up I should update my driver. Installed the newest driver, no joy. It won't play a DVD either, only sound. Other than that it seems fine.

How can it seem to work fine if it can't start?

I've downloaded 5 more older drivers to see if they work. Is there someplace to set something or adjust so this $20 wondercard can work right?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-13, 11:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you removed it by right clicking on it in Computer Management and reinstalling?

Old 03-18-13, 01:33 PM
Indeed. GeForce website recommended turning off Avast before installing to I did that.

Card that puked was a FX 5200 with 128 memory, this one is FX 5500 with 256 memory so I thought it would be better. Just one more of these confuser jobs I don't understand.

I was visiting Dell last night and almost hit 'order' but then thought better of it.

Thanks

Old 03-18-13, 06:29 PM
I forget, is this a real-deal nVidia GeForce or is it a 3rd party/off-brand "Powered by nVidia" card? Code 10 normally means that the driver is incompatible with the hardware and/or the OS. If you are trying to use nVidia GeForce drivers on a 'Powered by nVidia" card, you can get errors like that because even though the GPU is the same, there are slight differences in the cards. You can also get it if you are using for example a Vista/7 driver in XP.. Did you use "Option 2" in the driver page to detect the card?

Old 03-18-13, 07:49 PM
To help you in diagnosing Baldwins problem with the video card I thought I would post a link to his previous post Matt here is the link http://www.doityourself.com/forum/co...ing-south.html . As I remember Baldwin this did have an installation disk and was listed as new on e-bay. Sorry you are having so much trouble. I Agree with Matt there are usually ways set up by the manufacturer to scan your card and it is the best way to get the driver. Anyway I hope you get this problem solved soon.

Old 03-18-13, 08:16 PM
Oh boy, I don't remember the option. Here is the page I got it from....

Not sure about the card but here is the box it came in:

Hard to read in the picture but the left box says "ATI powered by" Middle box says "NVIDIA G-FORCE" and you can see the last one.

Thanks

Old 03-18-13, 08:32 PM
Anyway I hope you get this problem solved soon.
Yeah, me too. I don't know, I'm just getting too old to fight with this stuff. I tried to watch a DVD last night....DVD connected to my TV worked for a bit then just stopped. Okay, I put it in my 8200....hit the play button and it "had a problem and has to close". Put it in my 4550 and it says I have to update the driver.....again!!

Went out to snowblow and I now have a newspaper stuck in the snowblower. Not my day I guess.

Thanks

Old 03-18-13, 09:41 PM
Yeah now I remember.. What's incredibly odd is having all three of those company logos on the box.. ATi and nVidia are two completely separate competing companies. SiS is another separate company but they make crap - we won't even go there. But to me that almost looks like it could be a counterfeit card.

Did the card actually look like the one in the auction?

Old 03-18-13, 09:48 PM
Oh not not another newspaper Baldwin LoL sorry I just had to laugh I know it isn't funny is it. I think I might have solved your problem. Anyway I did a little investigating of my own and found out from Wikipedia that ATI was once a division of AMD which was just dissolved as a good deal of your video on most newer motherboards is built in. You can still buy video card as sometimes the on board video isn't that good but for those that want to save money they will stick with what is already on the board. Just depends on your needs and it is one of the reasons you could buy the card at that price as it is a legacy card.

Don't give up though as AMD may support their legacy products. I am going to give you a link to AMD's main support page here is the link http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx . Look on the left of the page at the top click on find your driver on the next page on the right it will say automatically detect and install just download that and install it and run the application.

The application on the right should work but may only work with their newer cards as AMD still makes video cards just not under the ATI name. So there is a drop down list on the left of the page that mentions links to their legacy products including ATI products. In that area they mention automatically detect and install. So I think I might have already solved your problem but invite JerseyMatt to look it over if he wishes. Anyway it is worth a try. Good luck my friend and by the way if you can still read this you are not getting too old Baldwin

Old 03-19-13, 03:58 AM
I see by my post and JerseyMatts that I was still composing my reply back so our posts crossed paths. I don't know the card companies as well as he does so I am sure JerseyMatt is right about the manufacturers. Unfortunately there are scammers on e-bay who are more than willing to take your hard earned money from you. As I recall I did give you a link to Neweggs cards and it should still be good. Even if it is counterfeit it might be possible to use the card still but you never know what kinds of bad programs might be lurking on counterfeit video cards. Another example of counterfeit products for computers is usb thumb drives as they sometimes have malicious programs on them that can't be erased. Once the victim puts the thumb drive in his or her computer then you have problems.

Unfortunately even people who own stores and big companies like Best Buy or HHGregg get fooled too and unwillingly buy counterfeit products. Of course these stores try to prevent that from happening but unfortunately this happens every day. If it is counterfeit then you should report it to e-bay as soon as possible and they will try to get your money back. Just sorry you had so much trouble.

I am giving you a fresh link to Neweggs cards and they I think have the best selection outside of e-bay here is the link Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Video Cards & Video Devices, Desktop Graphics Cards, AGP 4X/8X . Some will be more expensive especially if you don't buy refurbished but will definitely be genuine. If I were you and maybe the computer was old I would go with refurbished. Kind of off the subject but I have in my possession two cameras that were refurbished and they still work fine. Of course it might be different with video cards I just don't buy them that often to say it is or isn't different. Hopefully JerseyMatt has better news and another good place to buy. I Know Amazon.com sells video cards too so that is another place to consider. I wish you luck!

Old 03-19-13, 05:51 PM
Did the card actually look like the one in the auction?
Yes it did from what I remember. Thought I'd try the drivers on the disk even though the pop-up said the ones I had were newer. This one is dated 4/30/2009 which is newer than any I have.??? Went to install and a warning came up....not digitally signed or something like that so I closed it out.

Also noticed the drivers on the disk for Vista say international. I guess I'll go to Newegg and get one there.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-19-13, 06:35 PM
I do occasionally buy electronics on e-bay but you just never know what you are getting it can be a gamble at times. Anyway I hope you contact e-bay and send them pictures to back up your case. It could be maybe the original box went missing and it was re-packaged but JerseyMatt is right in saying it is suspicious.

As to the software not being digitally signed that too can be a red flag and I am glad you didn't load it onto your computer. When I do say it can be a bad sign it isn't always true digital signing of software isn't always done as newer versions for software come out all of the time. So when you get your next video card this time from a more reliable source go ahead and click the install anyway message. It will probably have more warnings but just go ahead and click install anyway in this case it will not hurt your computer. I know as I have done it myself. I have Oracle Virtual Box installed that I downloaded and it went through those warnings as they didn't want to deal with Microsoft since this is open source and haven't had any problems on the laptop.

Once you do get the other card fully installed do yourself a favor scan the computer with Super Anti Spyware just to be on the safe side. Here is the link in case you don't have it SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!. Please do that as I don't want you to have anymore problems. Please let us know Baldwin how things work out I know JerseyMatt wants to know too. Glad I could help.

Old 03-19-13, 08:04 PM
Get in contact with the seller and tell them your card is no good and you want a refund AND you want them to pay return shipping. If they refuse, then open a case with Ebay Buyer Protection (you have I think 30 or 45 days).

Old 03-19-13, 09:32 PM
Your right Matt it has been a while since I bought anything on e-bay maybe two years or so. I certainly would contact the buyer too it could be he or she was conned too and could be innocent.

Old 03-19-13, 11:00 PM
Half way through a lengthy response I realized this was over a $20 card. Enough.

I'll write the seller and even if that doesn't make me happy the sun will still come up tomorrow. Off to Newegg I go.

Thanks very much for the help.

Old 03-19-13, 11:18 PM
Again you certainly are welcome. I think on Newegg something like what you bought on e-bay would work well with your computer and keep you inline with your budget too. No need to spend too much. Keep us informed I for one would like to see how it turns out for you and I am sure so does JerseyMatt.