Gold sheild on task bar

Old 03-26-13, 12:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gold sheild on task bar

There is a gold sheild on my task bar ,says downloading updates:1%. What is this and is it a bad thing ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
When you place your cursor over it ......it says "downloading updates" ?

How about when you put the cursor over it and right click on it ?

Old 03-26-13, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Pretty sure thats just the Windows auto update function. It shouldn't just sit at 1% though.

Old 03-26-13, 12:54 PM
Group Moderator
Symantec anti virus is a yellowish/gold shield and it also does updates.

Old 03-26-13, 01:56 PM
It will help to know what version of Windows you are using. With Windows XP the gold shield always shows up when updates are being done so that is completely normal. Not sure about Symantec as I haven't used it in a long time but apparently PJMax has fairly recently. I think PJMax is right though in what he says at least according to the last time I used Symantec. Gunguy45 is also right in being concerned about the update process especially if it stays at 1%. If it does stay there please determine for sure what program is updating and update your post. If you have update issues many of us have been through the same thing and can help you out.

Old 03-27-13, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
My first though was Windows Update but I would not allow Symantec anywhere near my PC so I didn't know it looks similar.

Yes, more information about your system would be helpful.

Old 03-27-13, 04:01 PM
Sorry for the delay guys , we have XP 2002 , nothing happens when we right click on it. It says downloading updates 1% when we hover the curser over it, seems like always.Left clicking on it does nothing. Does that infer that it is only 1% completed or 1% into a download ? We have some issues with the computer lately ,example when my desktop comes up there are no icons appearing,I need to logon through my wife's side and then switch user.I"ve even had trouble logging in to this forum.Originally we were trying to format a usb plug in flash drive for our annual tax returns,well when we go to add hardware in control panel message comes up "you can only install one device at a time,another device is underway,when it is finished you can try this wizard again". needless to say we seem to be getting in over our heads ,unable to find if anything is downloading elsewhere. Seeking guidance here before calling out. Offset work hours prevents me from responding to threads immediately.Any ideas are as always ,greatly appreciated. Thanks RF

Old 03-27-13, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing you have re-booted and the same thing comes back up ?

Old 03-27-13, 08:56 PM
That's correct PJmax , can't seem to do anything with it.

Old 03-27-13, 10:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you tried running the Windows updater? (Discaimer not a Windows user.)

Old 04-16-13, 02:50 PM
You might try opening Task Manager when the "shield" is there and see if you can see what program or process is running.

Old 04-19-13, 02:49 PM
Run CCleaner. It can sometimes help with the odd issues you seem to be experiencing. Also, do you have an antispyware that you run regularly? This may or may not be the issue. Have you tried double-clicking on the icon?
If you really want to find out what it is, you can click "Start"->"Run" and type "msconfig" It will give you a list of programs that run when you start your computer. If any of the programs look suspicious, you can look them up or post them here.

Old 04-19-13, 06:33 PM
It could be you might have a virus or Trojan horse program on your system. Even very innocent websites like a computer manufacturers website can have bad programs on their website as it happened to me recently. I suggest if you don't have it already that you download Super Anti Spyware they have a free version that I use that is great at finding any kind of malware here is the link to their website SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! . Try that first to make sure you clean your system and then let us know more about your update situation.

Old 04-21-13, 06:30 AM
It sounds like Windows is stuck in a couple of loops: (1) Updater and (2) New Hardware Wizard. In addition, someone has created an Admin account that forces you to log on every time you boot the machine. You could put band-aids on all of it, but there comes a time with Windows when you have to just wipe everything off the slate and start over. That time is usually after every couple of years. If I understand you correctly, your machine is 11 years old.

Back up all of your data, pix, music, bookmarks/favorites, contacts, etc. Note the account settings for your internet and your mail client. Download or otherwise gather drivers for all of the computer's hardware - video, sound, and NIC are most important - and have them ready on CD or thumb. Make sure all of the programs you need are on hand. I'd also download a copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) and copy it to a thumb or CD.

When you're ready, stick the Windows CD in the drive and do a full install. This will wipe everything off the hard drive and install a new, raw copy of Windows. Install SP3. Install hardware drivers. Connect to the 'net and allow Windows to download and install updates to its heart's content. When it's all done, install your programs and bring back the data. The process should take the better part of a day.

Old 05-14-13, 06:17 AM
Eleven years with an active computer connected to the Internet, I'd say you're LONG overdue for a catastrophic failure.

I agree 100% with Rick... anything other than a flat-out wipe and reinstall is not going to make things better in the long run.