Start up menu issues - XP

Old 04-01-13, 12:19 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Start up menu issues - XP

I thought I was smart enough to figure this one out, but here I am...

Windows XP - when I start the computer from "Standby", "My Documents" opens when I reach my desktop in the booting process.

I thought that all I would have to do is go Control Panel/Start Up, etc. But I don't see My Documents listed as an un-checkable option to show at startup. How far off base am I?

Old 04-01-13, 01:39 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "Control Panel/Start Up" - there's no such entry in XP's control panel.

Anyway, there are several places to check ("Startup" menu, "Run" branch of the registry, etc), but it is usually better to use a good software utility for that instead of doing it manually. SysInternals Autoruns is probably the "industry standard"

Autoruns for Windows

Just launch the utility and go to "Logon" tab. It should tell what is launched at logon and why. If there's nothing there, then it might be a good idea to check "Scheduler" tab as well.

Old 04-01-13, 02:21 PM
H
Louuuuu You don't need another program the only thing you need to run is msconfig. Actually my documents shouldn't be starting at standby unless you were there last and if you were then just close out my documents and then go to standby. If for some reason though it is in your start up folder then you need to use msconfig.

To use msconfig go to where it says Run type in msconfig and then click on o.k. . Now look for start up do you see My Documents in the start up area? If you do then un-check that and then click apply and then click OK.. Don't do anything else there as you can mess up your computer if you don't know exactly what to do. Instead call up your IT guy and ask him. If you can't find My Documents listed there then it isn't a start up item. Just so you know if you remove certain items from Start Up Windows will give you a warning that what it calls an important item was removed from Start up and the dialog box will re-appear. You can always exit out of the box and no harm will come to your computer but Windows will continue to hound you. That is the extent of my knowledge on the subject perhaps Jersey Matt will look in on this thread I am sure he has other things he can contribute if you still have problems.

Old 04-01-13, 04:15 PM
K
Well, 'autoruns' is not some third-party program. It is an official Windows utility from Microsoft Technet. As I said above, it is, in fact, the industry standard for autorun management in Windows. Moreover, it requires no installation, meaning that it doesn't clutter the system with anything and can be removed at any time by simple deletion.

At my level of expertise, I don't need this program, since I can do everything by directly modifying system configuration. Yet, I consider this utility an indispensable tool for such purposes.

(And no, 'msconfig' just does not cut it in general case.)

Old 04-01-13, 07:43 PM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Louuu,

Check your start menu.

Start - All Programs - Startup. See if "My Documents" is in there. If it is, it will open automatically at startup/logon.

You can delete it if you want. Just right click on it, delete. It won't delete the folder itself just from opening automatically.

Old 04-01-13, 08:06 PM
H
Sorry KorbenDallas if you had said it was from Microsoft Tech Net then I wouldn't have said what I did. I am not a technician myself so I am not knowledgeable concerning everything available from the Tech Net although I do know of it and have been there once or twice myself. Autoruns though I personally think is for the bit more advanced user but agree it certainly can be used by anyone with care. By the way welcome to the forum we can always use more computer experts here.

Old 04-02-13, 03:51 AM
L
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. :-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: