Replaced Comcast Modem-Router doesn't work

Old 04-15-13, 01:03 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Replaced Comcast Modem-Router doesn't work

We are bundled Hi Speed, Phone and Internet. The router failed and I replaced it this morning. Now the router doesn't work. Only my old desktop works when connected directly to the modem. None of our 3 computers work thru the Linksys router. Two are hardwired and one remote. My wife's laptop will not work even when connected directly to the modem.

Keep it simple for an old guy. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-13, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi I don't know as much about routers as some other people here but I will try to help you. When you plug anything into the router do you see any lights in the back of the router flash? If you don't then there are a couple of possibilities the rest of the hubs are no good which is possible. I have Fios and on my router one of the hubs died on me at one time. Verizon later on sent me another router and I sent the router with the dead hub back to them. Since you didn't tell me if you received the new router from your provider or whether you bought another router I can only give you a general opinion. It isn't real likely but maybe someone from your provider sent a defective router by mistake as a replacement.

Another possibility is that possibly the rest of the hubs are turned off and that you will have to access the router via your browser. Not knowing the model of the router though I can't look any information up for you so I can't say whether that is a possibility or not. Please post back your model number on your router it will be very helpful in diagnosing your problem as each router is different even among the same brand. Also your providers name will help too.

Old 04-15-13, 05:21 PM
I don't know much of anything, but I'll try to enhance. I own the Linksys router, not Comcast. There is no logic that replacing the modem caused router problem. I notice the back of the modem has 4 ethernet ports. On the one line that is working to this old desktop, the LED is green. When I connect another ethernet cable to any of the other 3 ports it is yellow (there are 2 LEDS per port). The good cable is shows green no matter which of the 4 ports it is connected to. I have interchanged ethernet cables and that makes no difference. What mystifies me is why this computer works when connected directly to the modem and my wife's laptop does not. The world is baffling to an old person.

Old 04-15-13, 09:48 PM
What model of linksys router? Here is a link to linksys Official Linksys Support Site click on the link that says where is my model number? Once you tell me and others here what your model number is then we can help you better.

Old 04-16-13, 01:55 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Comcast can be tricky in getting different parts to play nicely, maybe true of other ISPs but I know about Comcast.

Power down EVERYTHING. Power up JUST the modem and wait for the lights to stabilize. Then turn on the router and wait for all the lights, router AND modem, to stabilize. Finally power up the computer and wait until it is completely "booted up" and stable. Then see if everything works. Add in additional computers one at a time. This should hold until there is another power failure or Comcast sends out an update to the modem.

Also make sure that all the computers are set to automatically obtain an ISP.

Old 04-16-13, 03:45 PM
It sounds like from your description that your modem is actually a modem/router.
To use your separate router, your modem will have to be configurated in what is called bridge mode. If that is the case, you should be able to google the model and get info on doing that. Or you could use your modem router for routing and keep your separate router for later.

Old 04-17-13, 07:42 PM
Follow up

Today I had a computer guru beat his head against the wall for 2 hours. We were on the phone with Comcast twice for extended periods. They couldn't solve anything and said we needed an in home tech call from them. They did acknowledge, from India or wherever, that they were seeing signal problems. After Guru left, another replacement modem came via UPS. It seems to work perfectly. I think the first replacement was a recycled modem with a questionable background. It was not packaged, just handed to me in a plastic bag. The one shipped to me was in a box, with cables and instructions. It's a big old world out there. I could go on about the stuff that Guru saw, but I don't understand most of it.

Old 04-17-13, 08:22 PM
I had a lost of problems making my Comcast with a separate modem and separate router. I ran my desktop wired direct to the router and used wireless for other laptops in the house. Anytime there was a problem, I had a problem getting things working but when I talked to the guys in Bangalore and Delhi, they knew exactly what was going on immediately and got it running. A few months ago, I had a problem and it came down to a bad splitter on my incoming signal or my router. Finally it was discovered it was the router.

I went to a retailer and bought a new Motorola modem/router, hooked it up and has worked perfectly for my desktop and 3 laptops since I set it up.

It was a pleasure since like many people, the wires, power supplies, connections and modems and routers never seem to be accessible and trouble-shooting is a pain. - Now everything is simpler and can be much more accessible in case I have a problem.

Dick

Old 04-18-13, 04:49 PM
Glad your problem is solved Handyman663 I think it was smart for you to go through Comcast and to continue to rent the router as if anything goes wrong with it then they will just replace it as part of their contract. If you need help setting up wireless let us know and we can help you with that. Hopefully though all of the instructions are in the box it makes it a bit easier to set up everything.

Old 04-20-13, 12:33 PM
The in home Comcast guy was helpful in eliminating my Linksys router and setting up the new modem WiFi. Thanks all.