WiFi wiring

Old 04-24-13, 12:01 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WiFi wiring

I've inherited a wireless router. Formerly had DSL running directly into a desktop.

Is the thought process: DSL into wireless router - hard wire into desktop - and wireless for my house-roaming laptop?

Old 04-24-13, 12:06 PM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
That is how I would set mine up.
I've got a high end router, otherwise I would be setup the same way (or similar if you consider the extra access points, VOIP phone, etc).

Old 04-24-13, 01:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
EliasMcDaniel. The way you've described the wiring is correct. However, you have inherited this DSL modem which means that you will need to configure the modem with your username and password. This will be provided to you by your DSL provider. I hate to say this but if you do not have the experience doing this it can be a PITA. I would suggest that you get the setup instructions from your ISP or from their website on how to configure your modem for use. Use your laptop to set it up before plugging it in. Once you get the modem setup for use with your DSL then you can move on to setting up the wireless security. Good luck and post again with any additional questions.

Old 04-25-13, 05:50 AM
E
How right you are!

If I follow the directions from the website (ActionTec) they ask for a password. When I give them the one provided from their own instructions, I get no where.

I'll try my DSL provider (Frontier) next. Thanks.

Old 04-25-13, 06:01 AM
M
Check the website and/or call the company to make certain before accepting any of my advice.

In the past, I've had to reset things (usually a small button) to get it all back to factory specs and have the password be what the instructions say it will be.

Old 04-25-13, 06:16 AM
E
I just got the alleged password from a Frontier Tech Support chat room. (but not before the d*psh*t tried to sell me a $23/month upgrade to my service...)

Stay tuned.

Old 04-26-13, 04:13 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There may be three unames/passwords required here: (1) allows you admin privileges so you can modify modem/router settings and setup (2) the uname/pwd that logs you on to the ISP's server, and (3) the uname/pwd that connects wireless devices to the wifi part of the network.

Old 04-26-13, 04:59 AM
E
Well, I did get three different user/passwords - and none of them are working.

Tell me something; the instructions that I downloaded from ActionTec say to go to 192.186.0.1. That doesn't work at all. But 192.186.1.1 does get me somewhere. Is there a difference?

Also, why does Bing offer 192.186.0.1.org and 192.186.0.1.com (among others) as choices? What do those sites do?

I'm thinking that I may uninstall the driver and start over...

EM
slightly undereducated

Old 04-26-13, 05:45 AM
N
192.168.x.x is considered an internal IP address and is only found on home or small office computer networks.
Ignore what Bing suggests as that is a domain name, not an IP address (totally different thing).

The first thing to do is (assuming you are on a computer running Microsoft Windows) is hold your windows key down and press the letter "R" once (windows key has the Microsoft Windows logo on it). This will open the Run dialog box. In the white box, type "cmd" and click "OK" or "Run" (depending on the version of windows).
In the black box that should appear, type "ipconfig" and press the enter key.
The information that appears, look for something that reads " Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: " or similar (if you are connected via a network cable). Once you locate this with information listed below it, look for "Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :". There should be a set of numbers after it that may read 192.168.x.x (replace the x with numbers). It will be 4 sets of numbers seporated by a period. This should be your router's IP address. Write this down and then type this into a web browser address bar.
This will bring you to your router's administrator page. Once there, follow the instructions for your specific router (sorry, I'm not fimilar with that brand of router you have, nor am I able at this time to fimiliarize myself with it at this moment).

I hope this will help get you going.

Old 04-26-13, 07:28 AM
E
That's more information than Actiontec gave... Thanks.

I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

Old 04-26-13, 08:34 AM
N
Just take your time, and read everything through. Write down and/or take screen shots of every setting you change so you have this information later down the road or if you need more help.
Keep this information safe for future use should you have any issues with your internet or need to make a change.

I wish I could spend a few minutes fimiliarizing myself with your unit. I'm sure its very similar to the consumer brands I've used. You shouldn't have too much of an issue if I'm correct with this. Just take your time.

Old 04-27-13, 04:39 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Elias, you're typing the address here as 192.186.x.x. Make sure you're typing 192.168.x.x.

Old 04-28-13, 03:15 PM
E
Rick,

You are correct...

It doesn't make any difference though. I can type admin/admin, admin/password, or admin/fr0nt13r at either the 186 or the 168 address and get nothing. I do get a "401 unauthorized" message after typing the third incorrect combo.

Tried it both through IE and Google Chrome.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-29-13, 02:00 PM
S
You said it is an Actiontec. What is the exact model and who was the original provider of the unit? For example you can buy Actiontec at Bestbuy but it will have a different user interface then the same unit provided by the ISP. Second, did you reset the unit using the reset button? If not then do that first. Usually unplugging the unit, pressing and holding the reset button, plug the unit back in and continue holding the reset button for 30 seconds. Search google for Actiontec "model" default password. You may have to use something like Actiontec DSL modem xxxxx Frontier default password. Once reset you connect using 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Then you can enter the setup information provided to you by your ISP. I'm guessing that the username/password they gave you was your actual connection info and not the info to gain access to the router. You could always try username = admin and password = password . Like I said before PITA.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: