Cable internet antivirus/antispyware any good?

Old 05-10-13, 07:03 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Cable internet antivirus/antispyware any good?

Will soon be switching from DSL to cable internet & phone, after much good advice from you folks a month or 2 ago...My area is served by Time Warner & they advertise free anti-virus & anti-spyware included with the service. Since I'm using a fee-based anti-virus now, this would figure into my savings if I could dump it.

So, does anyone know how effective this a/v a/s would be from the ISP versus third party fee-based companies (Norton, McAfee, etc)?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-13, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd use something like AVG or Avast rather than paid software.

Old 05-10-13, 07:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Or just use an operating system for which there is no known virus in the wild.

Old 05-10-13, 08:04 PM
It probably will be software from Norton or Mcafee I personally wouldn't load that software on my computer. So basically you will have what you already have and if you are happy with Norton or Mcafee then get rid of your subscription and then load it again from your isp. I personally had so many problems with Mcafee and Norton that I said I would never use them again. I have been using free anti-virus for years and haven't had many problems and none related to my anti-virus causing me problems.

As to how effective a free version is compared to a paid version I personally haven't seen much difference and the free version most of the time has found more things than the paid version. Of course no anti-virus is absolutely perfect so I use a back up with Super Anti Spyware which is also available free. I have saved a great deal of money over the years by not paying for anti-virus.

Old 05-11-13, 07:09 AM
After trying them all I have settled on Avast free -- including the Android and i-devices.

Old 05-13-13, 07:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Agreed, I would avoid installing anything provided by the cable company. I like that they are trying to reduce virus/malware propagation in their connected systems, but like most things they do, they aren't doing a very good job. When I've helped others fix issues on their machines, the issues usually began with the Cable Company software installer that 'helps you set up your Internet'.

When they come set it up for you, ask the installer to NOT install anything new on your computer. If any activation or whatever is needed, they can do it on their laptop.

Old 05-13-13, 08:40 PM
Thank you gentlemen...now I don't know about Time Warner, but I assume it's like a friend of mine who lives in another town & who's cable ISP (I think it's called CableOne) told him not to worry about add-on anti-virus programs, it's "automatically provided with the service" and no programs need be installed on the computer, that "it's all controlled from our end". Meaning, I suppose, the filtering is done at the ISP before the signal is sent to the subscriber. I do know that when he started cable service, he was not aware of any anti-virus program installed on his computer when they installed the modem. (They also filtered out spam automatically, and he wasn't even aware that that was happening, until several months later when they emailed him to remind him to periodically access the spam folder so as to clear it out.)

Point being that, it seems that these filtering operations take place "behind the scenes" at the ISP and even tho my friend surfed the internet a moderate amount, he was never advised or aware of any virus or malware that was caught.

Old 05-13-13, 08:51 PM
Just to add to the previous post, my friend said that a search of his computers' installed programs reveals no anti-virus programs, perhaps further confirming that this function is controlled at the ISP itself. Can that be?

Old 05-19-13, 09:51 AM
No it cannot, if he has no AV software installed he is unprotected, nothing magical is being done by his ISP to protect his computer.

Old 05-19-13, 08:29 PM
I agree I have Verizon FIOS with a router that does have a firewall built in but it cannot block all malware and will allow some things through. All isps are like that though and at the very least you need a good antivirus. Perhaps another firewall too other than a Windows firewall if it is Windows XP or below as I know Windows 7 does have a better firewall.

The reason I say that is because even with all of my precautions I still had a trojan horse program get on my laptop. It is precisely why I use my back up of Super Anti Spyware along with my other anti virus I use to scan at least once a week with a complete scan using Super Anti Spyware and every other week with my anti virus, both free programs.