Connecting paired SATA SSD with ribbon cable as an external drive...

Old 05-14-13, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting paired SATA SSD with ribbon cable as an external drive...

I have a 128GB SSD which consists of a connected pair of the (exact) above-pictured 64GB drives. They are mounted back-to-back in a plastic clip and are electrically connected by a converging ribbon cable. Looking at the conductor spacing, it is not repeated or mirrored; each "half" of the cable end has its own unique pattern.

I would like to know WHAT, if any connection kits can adapt this drive to a USB/eSATA connector to transfer files and be bootable.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Two 64K SSD's........ nice

I think those babies will plug right in to my Toshiba laptop

Old 05-14-13, 07:28 PM
Having a SSD for 3 years did some funny things to me... now that I'm on a new laptop with a 1TB HDD, I'm constantly aware of "IT".

Old 05-17-13, 10:26 AM
Im guessing you got them on ebay... I have 2 of the same. The connectors are mSata (New Micro SATA to SATA Adapter for 1 8 SSD USA | eBay. I picked up 2 of these to install on my desktop computer.

Its a power/data single ribbon interface. I am thinking you could build your own casing, move it from mSata to Regular sata, and then get something like this 12V 5V Dual Power eSATA USB 2 0 Power Combo to 22Pin SATA Cable for 2 5 3 5 Inch | eBay

This should give you an interface to connect to the external eSata on your pc. From there, you have an external SSD. (see below about USB flash drives)

Now, as far as making it bootable, I have had a similar issue, and thats why I was noting your request as... well....

It turns out I dont have a system board that supports AHCI raid, so I have 2 am just waiting to put in other systems later.

As far as making it bootable, you will likely have to find out if your system has one of the 2 settings in the bios.

1. Make the system bootable to eSata port. You might have to flash your bios for this one since its not a common option on boards. If you have the ability to do this, I would lean this way.

2. Enable Bootable USB partition. This is a more common option found in your bios. Turn this one, and then install an OS. Boot to the OS disk but you may need to find raid drivers since it may very well still need to be setup as AHCI under system sata controllers to be recognized by the OS install setup (**WARNING** Windows uses VERY SPECIFIC controller drivers during setup - So installing the OS on the SSD in windows with the sata interface and then using the USB interface would likely cause a BSOD loop since windows creators are much to stupid to use a Kernal that loads general broad spectrum controller drivers using more then just the OS it was installed on. Ubuntu 12.04 is way better if you intend on doing this and it takes up less space

I would recommend getting a larger USB 3.0 Flash drive, and install the OS on this. SSDs are much more effective internally for hardware internal system builds. Your SSD will likely be limited on speed BADLY if you use the USB interface since the 2.0/3.0 USB is not nearly as fast as the Sata 2.0 (hell even the 1.0 sata) interface.

Im not sure what the speed of eSata ports are rated at but I do know that they have a 5V and a 12V power draw and you will have to make sure yours is the one your board supports to use these drives with eSata.

There are many snags you could come across, but these are the ones that would cause me a headache.

What I would recommend is using the SSD drives, set them up on Raid 0 for dual drive usage... it would show as 1 128GB SSD. Then get a large USB Flash drive to use as your bootable partition. Its going to be cheaper then building a housing for your SSD that may not even work with what you hope to get it working for. New Leahy Keys U Disk LaCie Iamakey USB128GB Free Shipping | eBay (This Flash drive is USB 2.0 FYI)

This would accomplish the same goal for less then 1/2 the price you paid for the 2 SSDs.

Old 05-17-13, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Sedare
Im guessing you got them on ebay...
The drive was taken out of my last laptop, which had some type of hardware failure, preventing it from POSTing and even giving a beep code. I believe the GPU and CPU both failed. Why, I have no idea. I abandoned the computer because of other pre-existing issues... it wasn't worth fixing at all.

VPCZ1290X PCG-31112L | Sony Vaio VPCZ1290X 13.1" I7-620M Ssd

This is my new laptop (customized with 8GB mem, Quad Core A10 4600, 1TB HDD etc)

Toshiba Satellite L850D-BT3N22 Laptop