Thunderbird

Old 05-14-13, 03:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thunderbird

Hello..thought I'd move over here to this forum from the stereo forum... I use Windows 7 and also use Firefox.Right now I have Comcast for my TV,Phone, and Internet. I am one small step from throwing them out of here Anyway I downloaded Thunderbird as a computer based e-mail program. I did manage to configure it with my current comcast email address and it did work. My question is when I make the "toss" can I configure it to work by itself or do I need to get another account somewhere (i.e. yahoo, gmail, etc) If I do need one what would you suggest? I want simple and straight-forward and COMPUTER based as I can go to bar library, etc and download and come home and do whatever

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-14-13 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-13, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Ahhhh....... Comcast. Right up there with Optimum

Yahoo and Gmail in their basic form are browser based email services. You can use any computer anywhere to access your email.

I was trying to figure out if Thunderbird is a POP mail service where you would need to use the email service provided by your ISP. Basically the same system that Outlook would use.

It looks like T'bird will work fine with gmail. You would use IMAP which is already active with a new gmail account.

Apparently with yahoo.... you would use POP but in this country that service is not free.

Old 05-14-13, 04:51 PM
Thunderbird

You lost me with the POP, IMAP and not free stuff. What if I just downloaded Yahoo mail then set up an account and went there for my mail as long as I can download it and have it

Old 05-14-13, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
If you just want to open a yahoo mail account then you just open it. If you want to use Thunderbird with yahoo then you may have to pay to use their POP service.

POP is Post office protocall. You receive all your emails from them in a bulk form and the program in your computer like Outlook or Thunderbird displays and manipulates them. With POP when you download your mail from the server it's no longer on the server.

Gmail uses a similar method called IMAP where you can download the mail in bulk and it is also still stored on the server. Thunderbird works with IMAP and it's free.

Old 05-14-13, 05:21 PM
Thunderbird

Sounds like I should just open a yahoo account....but will look into Gmail. I can open either as a "new' account with a new address and keep that and my original open so I will have 2 addresses until I cut the cable. Thunderbird was just a thought...I can get rid of it. I can download yahoo or g-mail right to my desktop so when I retrieve mail it is in my computer? (i.e. I can put a yahoo mail or a gmail icon on my desktop?)

Old 05-14-13, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Yup.....you can open either as a new account for free. I have gmail. It's pretty good. I don't run an email program on my computer. I leave most of my emails on the gmail server so I can access them from several different locations. Web based...... just a browser is required.

Old 05-14-13, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
I've never been a fan of internet provider email addresses (comcast, verizon, optimum, etc) since if you move or change providers you'll lose that address.

I would highly recommend Gmail, I find it to be easy to use and quite reliable. And it's easily accessible from anywhere on any internet provider.

Old 05-15-13, 12:07 PM
Thunderbird

Yea I am specifically looking for my computer based so when I get a connection somewhere and "get" my email I "got" it to use whenever I will look into Gmail. I don't have any experience with it at all

Old 05-15-13, 04:23 PM
Gmail is a good e-mail provider but here are a few more to think about Netzero and AOL they both will provide free web based e-mail addresses and you can get your e-mail anywhere in the world just as you can with the other e-mail providers already mentioned.

When you are out though and checking your e-mail if I was you I would check into some 4G mobile hotspot providers. Here are a few names of companies that provide 4G Netzero, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin to name just a few. Exact prices I can't give but some are cheaper than others and some don't require a contract. Only reason I mention those 4G providers is because you want to be able to check your e-mail while out. These providers allow you to do that a bit more securely than over public wifi. If you can't afford them then make sure your firewall and anti virus is working well.

Also a few other tips I use Windows Live mail that I downloaded recently and I think it works a bit better than Thunderbird in setting up new accounts and deleting old accounts. That being said though with either Windows Live mail or Thunderbird I wouldn't use it on my laptop if I was going out of the house with it as it would have all of my personal and business e-mail on it. So if I was you I would stick strictly to web mail and then don't save any passwords for your protection.

Old 05-16-13, 01:10 PM
Gmail

OK so I signed up and now have a Gmail address. Now I shut my connection off to see if I can get into the mail and I can't because I have no connection. What do I have to do/click/etc? so I can access offline. (I realize I cannot receive any new emails until I establish a connection)

Old 05-16-13, 01:45 PM
update Gmail

Ok I had to go to Google chrome and download the offline app and I basically got it working. I will have to mess with it and see if I can actually do anything with them like print, download, or whatever while offline

Old 05-16-13, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
You got it. Once you install the offline Gmail extension, you should have all your emails available when you're offline to view/reply/print/etc. You can set it how many days/weeks to keep available offline. Pretty easy peasy!