How long should a laptop battery last?

Old 05-21-13, 03:54 AM
How long should a laptop battery last?

My daughter bought a new HP laptop two years ago for college. At this stage, her battery is only lasting 30-45 minutes. Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-13, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
I think I've averaged about 3 years on the various ones we've had in the last 10 years. Fortunately aftermarket replacements are not too expensive or you might check one of the battery specialty stores to see how much it would be to rebuild it (new cells).

Old 05-21-13, 04:19 AM
After 300 or so cycles most batteries will start to weaken. If she cycled it every day for the past two years 45 minutes is about right.

Old 05-21-13, 04:48 AM
go to e bay. batteries are cheaper there than anywhere I found. I bought one for less than $50. and it has been great for over a year now.

Old 05-21-13, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
If its a nicad battery they get a memory and dont fully charge. Try discharging/recharging several times in a row.

There are other steps you cant take if you do a google search that may boost it quickly. It often involves hitting it with a outside charger for a couple of seconds with a higher amperage charger.

Old 05-21-13, 01:58 PM
I have used a company called Batteries.com they have batteries for about any device and many different types of batteries. Click here to check them out Batteries.com - Laptop Battery store Plus Camcorder - Camera - Cell Phone - SLA - Rechargeable Alkaline Batteries & Recycling you might find what you want at a decent price. My laptop batteries have averaged about 3-5 years too but like what was said already it depends on usage. Speaking of usage that same website will give you usage tips on how to charge your battery and when to charge it. Another reason I like them although there are other companies out there that might be better for you.

Old 05-26-13, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
45 mins is considered a good backup time but There are actions you can take to make your battery last longer during each charge cycle and live longer over many cycles. HP laptop battery always recommends following the instructions for charging and storage that came with the battery or notebook. Power Options in Windows XP allow you to control the power management features of your notebook PC. External hard drives, CD-ROMs, Zip drives, PC cards, and other peripheral devices can draw power from your battery even when they are not in active use. Disconnect them when you have finished using them. he faster your computer works, the more quickly it uses up the supply of power. By cutting down on processor speed, you can extend the charge of your battery. Methods to reduce processor speed vary from model to model, and your manual should provide instructions for doing so.

Old 05-27-13, 08:25 PM
45 mins is not good, it's horrible. A new battery will be upwards of two hours or more without giving any special consideration to power management. Most aftermarket batteries have a higher watt-hour rating than the factory, which translates into even longer. After two years the battery is just wearing out. It's just a fact of life that you have to replace your laptop battery every 2-4 years depending on how much you use it.

And Mike, laptops have not used NiCd batteries in literally decades. They have been all Lithium Ion/Lithium Polymer since easily 2005, and before that they were NiMH. You can not 'zap' LiIon batteries like that - it will make them explode.

Old 05-27-13, 11:11 PM
I agree 45 minutes is horrible I have a battery like that that is lithium ion and wouldn't think of using a higher amperage charger you are right they can explode. Laptop manufacturers actually too were the first ones to come out with lithium ion batteries with their laptops. Tool manufacturers and others were last in trying out the lithium ion battery. I think the last laptop I had with an NIMH battery was an IBM Thinkpad and the battery didn't last long after buying a new one. Lithium Ion batteries are much better as far as usage time is concerned. Most of the time I keep mine plugged in. Not sure if that is the best idea or not but I do occasionally unplug it and it lasts about two hours.

By the way JerseyMatt I have been trying to PM you that software you helped me out on I finally have it installed on my laptop. Working like a charm on the laptop I am using right now. Nice to see you back Matt!

Old 06-01-13, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by hedgeclippers View Post
Most of the time I keep mine plugged in. Not sure if that is the best idea or not but I do occasionally unplug it and it lasts about two hours.
In my experience there really isn't much of a difference. Full cycling a laptop battery causes just as much damage as leaving it on the charger over the same amount of time.

By the way JerseyMatt I have been trying to PM you that software you helped me out on I finally have it installed on my laptop. Working like a charm on the laptop I am using right now. Nice to see you back Matt!
Good to hear, glad it worked out for you. I hadnt realized my inbox was jammed up..

Old 06-02-13, 05:58 AM
Matt, for the record I believe saragomez8585 was referring to 45 minutes as enough UPS time to perform backups if the AC power went down.

The interesting thing about 45 minutes, and maybe you can expand: I have three laptops made in 2003, 2005, and 2007. The batteries in all of them last for about 45 minutes and I'm not seeing any decline in those numbers. My wife uses the '07 every day. I use the '03 backup at work once a month or so, and the '05 is used twice a month primarily with portable multitrack recording software to record my band. Point is, these boxes don't seem to be losing any more battery power after they hit the 45 minute mark.

Old 06-02-13, 12:50 PM
No, read it again. For the record they were absolutely referring to a laptop battery.. Not to mention there are no UPS's that can last 45 mins with an actual computer connected (unless you're talking about something ridiculous like a $5,000 server-sized unit powering a Raspberry Pi). A UPS isn't designed to keep the system up and running, it is designed to 'bridge the gap' between utility power failing and a backup generator kicking in. In the absence of a backup generator its purpose is to keep the system running through short (5-10 minute) blackouts, and trigger a graceful shutdown when the battery gets low. You don't 'perform backups' while on UPS power - backups normally take a lot longer than a UPS can last.

As far as your old units, if you only use them once or twice a month, then of course the battery capacity is going to be somewhat static, because LiIon batteries do not degrade when sitting on a shelf.. As for the one your wife uses daily, it's nowhere near what the capacity used to be, but it will eventually begin dwindling at some point to where you can't have it off the charger for more than a few minutes.