memory

Old 02-10-01, 05:29 PM
Question

hello,
i have 128 mb memory, how do i alocate more memory
to AOL. i seem to get booted from games alot. someone told me i should up the memory for aol. thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-01, 05:37 PM
The total memory in your computer should be available for use by all software. What operating system are you using ?
Give me the site where the games you are refering to are .
Is it just an internet site, or only available within the AOL structured site, any URL please provide. Does it only happen at one perticular online game site. And booted off meaning , you lose the site, AOL disconnects ? Explain ??

Is the computer otherwise functioning well including browsing other internet sites, or using any other software on th ecomputer ?

128 of memory should be more than enough for the average person.

Old 02-10-01, 09:37 PM
hi dkerr,
it is on this site ea.com world play games.and it is just that site. my operating system is 98 2nd. sometimes i get knocked off aol. and sometimes just the site.
thanks Rick

Old 02-12-01, 07:47 AM
I might have an expalnation for being knocked off of AOL, most ISP have a time-up feature on their servers, when there is no activity detected for a certain length of time, the server will disconnect, they say it is for the good of all, and assume that you walked away from the computer and forgot to log off. That time I beleive is anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes. The problem is that under certain cercumstances the server can't seem to detect when there is no activity or you are receiving a downstream feed in real audio/video or downlaoding. There is software that is available for free , I beleive should find it on http://www.tucows.com . What it does is where you are online, every minute it sends to their server what is called a ping, and sends back a reply, all of which works in the background and you don't really realize it. It gives your ISP something to detect and reconnize as activity so it doesn't log you off.

Also you can usually on AOL use your independant browser such as explorer or netscape, and rather or not the AOL interface has trouble detecting activity when not on the actual AOL software interface , I am not sure, perhaps that question can be ask at AOL itself.

Now I am not sure about the game site itself , as I haven't had time time to check it out properly, is it a perticular game that you are playing ?

This does not appear to be a memory problem, 128 megs should be more than enough.

You can also send a message to EA as it may be a common problem or one that they are familiar with.

Old 02-13-01, 11:51 AM
Visiting Guest
AOL is probably your problem. Try another isp, see if you get disconnected. Some ISP will let you try their service for free a few days.

Power gamers usually shun AOLers because AOL is associated with lag.

Old 02-17-01, 11:44 AM
Some people love AOL but I tried , within a day or two , I uninstalled it, and never tried it again.

All I expect from an ISP is provide me a path to the internet, don't try to otganize menu's or have a voice tell me YOU GOT MAIL, I can decide what solfware and how I want to use or do on internet , just provide the path and that is all I want to pay for. But some do love AOL , I am not one of its followers.