how can I do a complete restore of a lenovo desktop?

Old 06-07-13, 12:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how can I do a complete restore of a lenovo desktop?

Here is what I have:

Lenovo H410 7724-1AU Desktop PC - Intel Pentium E5800 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Item#: T71-140004 | Model#: 7724-1AU

I would like to restore it to factory settings or whatever you would call it. I have no disc. What is the best way to do this? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 01:00 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Your hard drive MAY have been partitioned at the factory and have the entire factory programming on a d: drive. Check in the "My Computer" section ( don't remember what Win7 calls it) to see.

You do realize that this will wipe EVERYTHING that you have added, all programs and data. It is not something to do on a whim.

If you do not have the recover program on a partitioned drive the the best is to probably get a recovery disc set direct from Lenovo.

Old 06-07-13, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is your license key sticker on the bottom intact? Can you still read the number?

Old 06-07-13, 02:31 PM
Ok, answer to question 1: there is no factory partition. Only a C drive

answer 2: yes I can read the sticker for the win7 license key

Old 06-07-13, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The partition is sometimes hidden and might not be visible from Windows. You might need a disk utility to see it. That's it for my knowledge. Someone familiar with Windows and factory built computers can hopefully help you more.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-07-13 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 06-07-13, 04:49 PM
You should be able to find a factory partition irregardless of whether you can or cannot see hidden files. However in case the factory did decide to hide the partition which I doubt look at this link from Microsoft Show hidden files . This will explain how to find hidden files.

Kmeyer301 may I ask why you want to have a restore disk? You know it will wipe out anything you have previously put on there as was already stated. A less drastic approach would be to do a system restore. Click on start then in the search bar type the words system restore. Go to where it says restore system files from a restore point and click on that. Any problems you have with your computer currently should be resolved in most cases and it is a less drastic step than using a disk.

Old 06-07-13, 05:12 PM
Sometimes you just need to wipe a computer and start over.

kmeyer - if you are sure you want to wipe everything, pressing F11 repeatedly when the system is first booting up should drop you into the Lenovo Recovery utility. From there you can do a factory wipe and restore. IIRC there IS an option to save user data, but all it does is copy the user folders into a backup directory so that you can manually copy them later. It doesn't do anything automatically for you.

You also have two other options.. You can do an 'in-place' repair of a misbehaving Windows installation using a real Windows 7 disc (which will keep all programs, settings, and data, BUT you must be able to get into Windows), or you can wipe the drive and do a full install using a real Windows 7 disc. This does require you to go and hunt down drivers, but it is a pristine installation, with none of the crapware that would otherwise be in the factory restore. Both of these methods use the Windows License Key on the sticker.

I can help you find an installation disc if you decide to do either of those options. The disc images are legal to download as long as you use your own license key.

Old 06-07-13, 06:18 PM
JerseyMatt, I don't really need a disc I guess. I am sure that I want to wipe all and start with a fresh install. If you thing just doing it using the F11 key method I am fine with that. If you think I would be better off downloading the disc image just tell me. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-07-13, 06:42 PM
The F11 method will be easier for you. It will restore the computer to exactly the way it was when it left the factory. You won't have to hunt down drivers or anything, but the rub is that it installs all the useless crapware and trialware that IBM gets paid to put in there. If you go this way I would recommend you use a program called PC Decrapifier to clean that junk out.

To install it with a disc means that you will get a totally fresh, pristine install with no unnecessary crap.. But you will probably have to install some drivers before everything will work properly.

Old 06-08-13, 06:07 AM
Thanks, I am going to give it a go using the F11 method. I will let you know how it goes. I do appreciate the help.

Old 06-08-13, 08:12 AM
Here is where I am now. I reboot the computer, hitting F11 as it starts, hit enter when it says to enter selections, and it gives me 3 choices,

Press ESC to resume normal startup
F1 to enter BIOS
F11 to diagnose hardware or recover system
F12 to choose temporary startup device

But every time I hit F11 for these choices windows just resumes starting up. I thought maybe the F11 key on the keyboard didn't work so I tried another keyboard and get the same response. So I don't think the keyboard is bad.

What now?

Old 06-08-13, 12:37 PM
With today's processors kmeyer301 you need to act fast otherwise the opportunity passes on by very quickly. Try again it can be frustrating at times I know I have two computers with very fast processors and sometimes it takes several times to get into bios or to do any other things prior to windows. If that doesn't work then you may need that disk with JerseyMatts help. He helped me too with a disk and it works fine.

Old 06-08-13, 02:48 PM
very close to using a disc. I went ahead and downloaded an ISO file to a DVD as described on this PC World site

How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc | PCWorld

I have change the boot order in the bios to make the cd/dvd driive first boot. I hear you about the proc. speed being an issue but I can get into the bios which is selection F1 of the 4 choices but if I hit F11 for the recovery choice windows justs starts up as normal.

Do you guys have anymore input before I use the disc? The file on the disc is about 3gig and I am guessing (hoping) that it is what is going to boot up the restore or win. reinstall or whatever it is called. Thanks for all your help. keep it coming.

Old 06-11-13, 04:38 PM
how do I get the computer to boot to the disc I am trying to use?

Old 06-11-13, 06:53 PM
Press the F12 key as you are starting up the computer once you see the prompt that will get you to the temporary start up screen and set your computer for the CD drive. If for some reason that doesn't work then go into bios by pressing F1 and look for boot order. Set the CD drive as the first device. Sometimes it is on the first screen and sometimes you need to look in security on the bios screen or somewhere else it depend on your bios. I can't guide you either as to how to change the boot order in the bios as they are all different but there should be instructions on the screen.

Did you save the disk as an ISO disk? If not then you need to make that an ISO on another disk. Your bios will not see a data disk.

Old 06-12-13, 08:45 AM
I was able to get into the BIOS and I change the primary and the automatic boot order so that the cd/dvd was first and it still won't boot from the disc. I am thinking that after you asked if I saved the disk as an ISO disc, I don't think it is. I just saved the file to a dvd. I am a little confuse on how to make it an ISO disc, I read the istructions and I saw something about doing that but I am a little confused by it. here is the link I got the directions and it is step 3 that I am confused about. I did step 2 and that is where I saved the file to a dvd. But when step 3 talks about the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool, that is where I get confused. Can you help me better understand what it is explaining?

How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc | PCWorld

Old 06-12-13, 09:33 AM
Ok, so basically you just burned the actual ISO file to a dvd? If that's the case, then thats your problem.

Download a program called IMGBURN (SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe <- ImgBurn Downloads | Software - Digital Digest) and install it (careful, it does have one 'buddyware' app that you'll have to uncheck during setup so it doesn't install).

Run IMGBURN, and you'll get a bunch of choices.. Select "Burn Image to Disc" and select the ISO file click the Burn button, then let it do its thing. Then you will have an exact copy of the real Windows disc.

Old 06-12-13, 01:42 PM
Yes JerseyMatt, that is what I did. I just downloaded the ISO file to the dvd. I figured that was the problem but like I said I am a bit confused about making it into a bootable disc. I think what you have said here makes sense to me and I am going to give that a try. I won't be able to try this until later tonight so I will get back to you later and let you know how it worked.

I am going to start by copying the ISO file to my hd. Then download the IMGBURN program and then run that and use it to burn the ISO file to a dvd. If this plan doesn't sound good to you just leave me a note. The help here has been great as usual. Thanks

Old 06-12-13, 02:22 PM
Yeah that's right. There is nothing else special you have to do to make the disc bootable, all that is contained within the ISO file. Basically the ISO is a blueprint for creating exact bit-for-bit copies of the disc, including the files, directory structure, "table of contents", and boot sector. So basically in the end you will have a DVD that to the computer appears to be a genuine bootable Windows disc as if it was purchased from a store.

While you can open an ISO with a compression program like WinRAR and read/copy the individual files out of it just like you can with a ZIP file, the BIOS is not able to process the files contained in an ISO and boot from it. It must be processed by an image burning program, which will create the disc with everything where it belongs.

Old 06-12-13, 04:53 PM
I also like ISO recorder a completely free open source program and better in my opinion than what Windows 7 provides I am going to provide a link for you in case you think you might want to try it. Here is the link ISO Recorder . There are different versions of the program for all types of Windows. When I copy an ISO I go in my case on Windows 7 to downloads and then right click on the file name and then point that to open with and in my case it is ISO recorder.

With Windows 7 you have to make sure your versions of Windows match up as they now have newer versions with service pack 2 already on the disk and if memory serves me right they only had service pack 1 on the download page.

It isn't a problem with my desktop downstairs in my office but would be for upstairs on that desktop. If your computer is 2 years old or older as I suspect it is then no problem with the disk. I suggest you do a repair of Windows as that should hopefully keep all of your files intact while still taking care of any problems you have. If the repair doesn't work then you will need to wipe the disk and then reinstall windows. Let's take this a step at a time though and see if a repair works first.

Old 06-12-13, 08:03 PM
There is no Service Pack 2 for Windows 7.

Old 06-13-13, 12:16 AM
Your right Matt there isn't a service pack 2 yet although talk of one. I was getting it confused with Windows XP which does have a service pack 2. I get so many updates from Microsoft it is hard to keep up my apologies.

Old 06-13-13, 01:35 AM
XP is on Service Pack 3..

Old 06-13-13, 09:24 AM
Finished, I got the restore disc done and the system has been restore to original. I want to say thanks for all the great help. So, thanks.

Old 06-13-13, 10:22 AM
Glad everything worked out for you.

What you will want to do now (after the hundreds of updates that need to be downloaded and installed) is go into the Device Manager (Start -> Computer -> System Properties -> Device Manager) and make sure there are no devices that have a yellow ! Triangle next to them. If there are any, you have to go to the Lenovo support site and download/install the drivers for them. 7 is *pretty* good at getting big manufacturer drivers installed automatically, but it's rare that it gets them all. I usually have to go find at least one in every computer I do a clean install on.

Old 06-13-13, 01:04 PM
I am glad everything worked out for you too kmeyer and JerseyMatt is right again Windows XP is already on service pack 3. A bad storm coming our way and I have had a few things on my mind lately so don't mind me. I agree make sure you go to the Lenovo website and download any drivers you see a yellow mark next to. If you see sound or video drivers though even without a check mark you might want to download those too as Windows generic drivers are usually not too great for that. Other things are optional like for the Lan on your motherboard, you will not need that unless you get slow internet.