Brightness of laptop screen

Old 06-08-13, 09:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brightness of laptop screen

A weird, but short problem:

On my wife's older HP laptop (running XP3), the brightness actually INCREASES when you run it on battery. It gets dimmer when you plug it into AC. I looked all around for this control, and it's not the Notebook/Desktop setting. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-13, 01:38 AM
This is an easy one I wish all computer problems were so easy. You should see a key on the keyboard that says Fn. Now look for the up down arrow keys o.k. now press the Fn key usually located on the bottom left of the keyboard while also pressing either the up or down arrow key. Up for brighter down for darker. Have a nice day!

Old 06-09-13, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I believe you may have to go into Bios to change the differences in brightness between battery and wall power.

Old 06-09-13, 07:08 AM
Hedgeclippers,

Boy, do I feel like an idiot. My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20, that's how far I go back, and I can honestly say I have NEVER used the "Fn" key on a laptop. EVER. Never even thought of it.

Incidentally, I tried Up & Down, and Page Up & Page Down, before I noticed a little "sun" with an up arrow under the F7 and one with a down arrow under the F8. Thanks much!

Old 06-09-13, 07:19 AM
CM, glad you used Richard's method. I was thinking you needed a global setting, not just an increase in the screen brightness. Good you got it done.

Old 06-09-13, 09:30 AM
FYI this is also something that can be changed in Windows. In the Control Panel under Power Options -> Power Plan, you will see two sets of options for "On AC" and "On Battery". You can set the behaviors of the computer separately, including the screen brightness, lid behavior, times to sleep/turn off monitor/turn off HD, etc.

Old 06-09-13, 11:19 AM
Matt, I could have sworn I saw what you are describing, but it's not there!! I can change the length of time for the monitor and hard drives to stay on with power and battery. Where did it go???

Old 06-09-13, 02:12 PM
If you're on Vista, 7, or 8, then you open Power Options you should see at least one Power Plan, click Change Plan Options and you should see the settings. If you want to get deeper than the basics, click Advanced Power Options and another window should pop up that allows you to do all sorts of things.

Unless you're on XP then its a little different - but that should be on the Power Schemes tab that comes up by default when you open the Power Options window.

Old 06-09-13, 02:32 PM
Running XP. The only thing that shows up on the Power Schemes is to control the shutdown times of the monitor/hard drive when in battery and in power modes. Nothing about the screen brightness on each one. I must have dreamed it.

Old 06-09-13, 03:12 PM
Then we had the same dream, lol! I could have sworn XP had brightness control, but I guess not, seeing as I can't find any reference to it now

Old 06-09-13, 03:28 PM
I went to bios, video, turned on ambient light sensor, but below that are the two setting toggles for battery and AC, that I could have set a default.

Old 06-09-13, 03:39 PM
Matt and Larry you know posting while asleep is not a good thing I think both of you need a bit of coffee . Nope no such animal in control panel at least not with Windows XP but it is good to know it is available on Windows 7. Just easier though to use the Fn key

Old 06-09-13, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I gotta get something to drink...oooh cold SWEET iced tea. That'll do.
Richard, the Fn key performs in the state your computer is in. The other ones give a global setting if you want a lower setting once it goes to battery to save on the charge without having to set the sun (so to speak).
I KNOW I have seen the option on my computer (outside bios), and I won't even go near a 7 machine. Wifey has one, but thankfully she is using her Ipad more, now.

Old 06-09-13, 04:19 PM
Well except for a few minor hiccups I haven't had any problems with either of my Windows 7 desktops. Right now I am watching Star Trek The Next Generation only problem I had was with a wireless connection it is fine now. As for that other option I looked myself in the most logical place in control panel in the display area I couldn't find it.