Cloudfront.net popups

Old 06-16-13, 10:46 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cloudfront.net popups

I have anti virus protection, but somehow I have gotten this 'thing' that allows pop ups even though they are supposed to be blocked, and t keeps redirecting me when I try to go to a specific site on the net. How do I get rid of it? There is a long number, then 'cloudfront.net'. I have done some googling, but everything seems to point me to my task manager, then 'processes', then delete certain files. I have not clicked on any of the links, so maybe that's why I can't find the files when I go to my 'processes' . Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-13, 11:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Old 06-16-13, 03:50 PM
S
Ok, hopefully that did it. I did not have a program called 'cloudfront', but I found several others that I removed. Including one called Playtopus, that seems to cause the same problems.
Thanks for your help.

Old 06-16-13, 06:05 PM
H
Suzynurse I am glad your problems seem to be solved I did a little bit of investigating into cloudfront.net and apparently it is technology owned by Amazon.com here is a link to their web page that describes some of what it does link: Amazon CloudFront CDN - Content Delivery Network | Content Distribution Network. It is not a virus actually but could be called adware. Apparently from what I could figure out this technology is rented out to others and under different names as different companies use the same technology.

What I do suggest you use is Microsoft Safety Scanner just to be on the safe side especially if things return here is the link to Microsoft Safety Scanner Microsoft Safety Scanner - Antivirus | Remove Spyware, Malware, Viruses Free . I also suggest you download and permanently install Microsoft Security Essentials a link of which can be found on this same page. Another program I like is the free edition of Superantispyware which will automatically remove any spyware on your computer here is the link to Superantispyware SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! I really strongly suggest you download and run Superantispyware as other programs will miss what Superantispyware will catch.

When you do run these programs though I also suggest you run your computer in safe mode without networking. The reason being is that if you have something bad on your system that item can actually communicate back to its base and that isn't good if you are trying to remove any kind of malware on your computer. After you do all of that clear your browser or browsers history and cookies and look for any extensions or add ons in your browser that don't look right and remove them.

Old 06-16-13, 07:09 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Redirectors and Clickjackers are generally not "installed" programs that can be removed through Add/Remove Programs, they generally do not show up in Task Manager, and they are missed by the majority of scanners. They are usually browser plugins in Firefox/Chrome or ActiveX BHO's (Browser Helper Objects) in IE - neither of which are generally scanned (which is why your antivirus missed whatever you got). Plugins/ActiveX controls are supposed to be required to ask for permission to install/run, but it is entirely possible that you were tricked into giving it permission, or your security settings are set too loose.

Which browser are you using?

Old 06-17-13, 02:19 AM
H
A valid point Matt I know I have been on some websites that say please set your security to such and such on your browser or please install this or that codec like for windows media player for instance. I used to do that but don't anymore for regular websites. For online surveys I do but not always as I feel it isn't always necessary.

Best thing though if you are unsure of a website to just not add anything to your browser as you are just asking for a heap of trouble. Another trick too these websites that you get redirected to that offer to remove a virus and are checking your system. Oh yeah they are checking it and taking over your computer if you don't watch out. I know it happened to me once I had to wipe my whole hard drive and start over not fun.