Useless Background Programs

Old 07-04-13, 07:29 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Useless Background Programs

Sorry to ask this. I know it has been answered before, but my searches came up empty. What program can I download to get rid of the useless programs which start when I start up my PC?

I am running Windows XP.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-13, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Control panel>add delete programs> choose and delete. Now, that's what I do. You can also go to Start>Search>and type in msconfig. Remove from the list of start up items and reboot the computer. Just make sure you don't delete things you need.

Old 07-04-13, 12:19 PM
Programs

Thanks, Larry. I thought I saw a link awhile back to a program that does the cleanup automatically. I really think I have too much stuff running, but I really cannot tell what is running.

Old 07-04-13, 12:34 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Do a Control-Alt-Delete (all three keys at once) and then click on the processes tab. In the lower left corner it will show how many processes are running. You can then proceed to highlight different processes and close them. You cannot hurt anything doing this as it will all come back the next time you start the computer but it CAN help in deciding what processes are not necessary to run at all times.

The trick is knowing what the acronyms mean. For this you can type the acronym into a Google search and find out more than you ever wanted to know.

I just did mine and I had 42 processes running. Just stopping the ones I KNOW I don't need brought the number down to 34. I had a friend (may he rest in peace) that had over 75 processes running and he wondered why his computer was so slow compared to mine. I think I got him down to somewhere in the high forties and the difference was amazing.

Old 07-04-13, 01:33 PM
Processes Running

I have 58. I guess that's a high number.

Old 07-04-13, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 59 Posts
Doing what Furd suggested is fine, but the same programs will be back next time you restart your computer. Removing the unused programs is the better option.

Old 07-04-13, 02:25 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
None of the programs/processes running in the background are "useless" but many do not need to start or run all the time. Good thing is that you CAN disable them from starting but still have them available when needed. Don't ask me how as I don't remember.

Tolyn, I never stated that the method I described would get rid of the processes, in fact in the fourth sentence I specifically stated that you could do no harm as everything will come back when you restart the computer. Doing as I described is ONLY to determine if stopping a particular process is beneficial to routine computer usage. Further, if you do the Google boogle as I suggested there will be many sites that will tell you exactly what a process does and whether or not it should be removed. If it should be removed, or merely disabled for start up it will also tell you how to accomplish the task.

Old 07-04-13, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Larry really great advice you gave about control panel and msconfig. If you msconfig a program and tell it not to load it is still there so no problems. If you keep on getting popups for things even without your browser being used then you have a problem unless it is a reminder popup like you need to update this program and you know about it. What I suggest that everyone does and I have been doing myself is to use SuperAntiSpyware if for no other reason to at least clean out your cookies. You never know too when even that innocent website you visit might be infected with some kind of malware anyway here is the link to get the software's free edition SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!. Free is the only version I use and it works fine for me.

Old 07-04-13, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 59 Posts
Tolyn, I never stated that the method I described would get rid of the processes, in fact in the fourth sentence I specifically stated that you could do no harm as everything will come back when you restart the computer.
Yup, I just wanted to make sure Wirepuller understood as well.

Old 07-05-13, 06:53 AM
Unnecessary Programs

I shut down my PC every night and start the next morning, so I guess the control panel > add/remove programs is my best option. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 07-05-13, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If they are programs you really don't/will never need...then uninstall is the way to go. If they are programs you rarely need....but they start when Windows is started and there is no way to turn that off, then stop it through msconfig.

I have a couple of things for my GPS and cell phone that don't have an option of not starting them when the computer is restarted...so I used msconfig. I just have to open the program manually instead of it sitting there taking up resources until I need it.

All depends on the program usage.....

Old 07-05-13, 08:07 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you want to get really confused you can download autoruns from Microsoft. I've looked at it but haven't really had time to understand it yet. You might discover all kinds of junk running.

Autoruns for Windows

Old 07-05-13, 10:21 AM
If you want to experiment:

Go into control panel--> Administrative tools --> Component Services.

Click on Services on the left and a pane will open up with Descriptions, Start-up type, etc....

Click on any name and it will give you a description of what it does.

Right click any name and go to Properties and you can change its "Start-up Type" to Manual, Auto, or you can even disable the Process/Service if you like.

Anything with an "Automatic" Start-up Type will start when you start your computer.

Good luck, hth

Old 07-05-13, 03:39 PM
I had forgotten about Auto Runs Baldwin you are right though it is a bit more complex and from what I can see care should be used at least until you are more used to it. Autoruns does though give you much more information.

Old 07-05-13, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I did what Praxius suggested a year or so ago. Thank goodness for System Restore. Do what he says with caution. You can mess up an otherwise good running (slow) computer by using the Administrator stuff.

Old 07-05-13, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
....a bit more complex and from what I can see care should be used....

Thank goodness for System Restore. Do what he says with caution.

Having never even seen a computer till I was 49 whenever a message popped up saying "continuing could make your computer unstable/unusable" I was terrified thinking I'd have to buy a new computer. Really!!

Little bit more comfortable today but not by much.

Old 07-06-13, 03:48 AM
I think your doing great Baldwin I started out a bit earlier than you did first playing with the high schools computer and then I bought myself a Commodore 64. Man were they ever slow but did what I wanted it to do. I also bought a Commodore 128 which really wasn't much better. Around in my early twenties I bought one of the earlier Acer computers that was o.k. but not to my liking. From then on I bought used computers until I recently bought cases for the two I built.