Help I have a virus

Old 02-13-01, 07:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I got a virus today, called Alanis_Screen_Saver.scr, I have had sucess on clening out alot of the files, there were a few that I could not touch cuase they were in use by windows, I'm now downloading a anti virus program, called IPE, in hopes I can get clean, right not I have to reload by businees software just to access it, then when it ask if I want to do the update on it, it updates, I reboot, and get the illegal operation and will shut down.

Well I scanning now this is what happing

Minor dat file v1080
Macro dat file Nov 22 2000 (VMD Ver 1.6)

Scanning memory...

Scanning boot sectors...
c:\ Master Boot Record matches template, is OK: standard Win95 OSR2.
c:\ Partition Boot Record matches template, is OK: standard MSWIN 4.1 FAT32.

Scanning file(s)...
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WSOCK32.DLL - infected with Win95.Mtx virus. Restored.

Will post an update in a few

Old 02-13-01, 08:25 PM
I had 276 files infected, 3 got deleted, not sure I'm clean thou, it was wierd at 1st windows would not boot into normal mode after the cleaning, it would reboot each time I tried it, then I fouund myself back at boot menu, finally got back into normal mode, I have some testing to do.

Old 02-13-01, 08:42 PM
Well I re-scanned and came up with 57 files all in the windows dir, so what shoud I do del win dir and re-install windows, it did clean them with no problem.

Old 02-14-01, 07:11 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you are using a good anti-virus software and have the definitions up to date , do a complete virus scan. If after all your efforts you still have problems with the system. Do a complete unconditional format of the harddrive and re-install the system. Under the circumstanses if the need arises, after a unconditional format , reboot the computer, and then reinstall the system, this should remove anything from memory before comensing a system re-install. Make sure you have a botoable startup disk that will also bring up the cd rom before doing this, without the cd rom up you can't install from the cd.

Hopefully a good anti-virus scan will clear everything up.

Old 02-14-01, 07:44 AM
So far so good, still the problem at windows boot, it goes the windows boot menu, if I select #1 for normal, it trys to enter windows then goes right into a new boot, then back to the boot menu, but if I do a step by step and select yes for everything except for the anti-virus software it loads up, it boots ok into windows, I have to do this everytime at boot.

I believe the system is clean now, can I not just new a recover install for windows, leaving the system in place and overwite the main files and not do a format?

Or can it be the anti-virus software causing the boot up problem, shall I uninstall the software and see what happens then?

Old 02-14-01, 09:22 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Once you get windows up, disable any auto protect features of any anti-virus software (you can enable them again later if you wish), then try rebooting. If you have a system floppy disk, put this disk in the drive and reboot the computer, it should come up on dos prompt. Like a:> or a:/
or c:> or c:
make sure that you are on the a: or a:>
you can change by typing a: (press enter)

now type SYS c: (press enter, doesn't have to be capitals)
this should transfer the system boot files to the c drive.
The system disk MUST be from the same operating system as you currently use. If you don't have one then make one from a friends computer that uses the same operating system, I'm don't want one made from yours as it may copy a possible problem system boot files.

Now remove the floppy and reboot, does it solve the problem or the same.

The next thing is that doesn't solve the problem, is to reinstall the same operating system over it. Sometimes this works and sometimes it makes it worse with different problems.

If that doesn't work, format the drive and reinstall the system from scratch. If nothing else works and that is the last remaining option, I will give more details on how to do it.

Old 02-14-01, 02:31 PM
I uninstalled the anti-virus software, and I'm able to boot into windows, normal mode, so it was the software that keep me out at the windows boot menu.

So what is a good freeware anti-virus program to run, and dependable?

Old 02-14-01, 06:18 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Plumber2000, Have a look at this InoculateIT Personal Edition free anti virus...Mike

Old 02-14-01, 06:26 PM
Mike,

Thats what I used to clean this virus, it was also what was not allowing be to boot normal into windows, only way for me to get into windows with it loaded was via step by step mode

I was able to go straight into windows safe mode, but, each time I tried normal only it would reboot my system and send me back to the boot menu.

Any clues why it did not let me boot normal mode?

Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: