Options to replace Palm Pilots?

Old 07-25-13, 07:46 AM
Options to replace Palm Pilots?

In the year 2000, I greatly reduced the amount of paper that I carried, by jumping on board with a Palm Pilot. Now, with many hundreds of contacts, and half a dozen or so boards and committees, work, and what personal life I have to schedule, I am unable to hotsync with either my home or office PC, and since support is well south of nil, it seems like a good time to change, while I am still able to print my contacts and calendar to .pdf files. The convenience of being able to carry all of this information in my pocket, having it on the big screen at my desks, and synchronizing it with the push of a button leaves me befuddled as to why they went away so quickly. Nevertheless, that seems to be the case, so I am curious as to what others are using today.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-13, 08:31 AM
I used everything from the US Robotics Pilot 5000 to the Palm T|X. The modern smartphone outclasses them all.

The advantage of the smartphone is that your contacts, e-mail, calendar, documents, and other similar data are not hot-synced by plugging into a cradle, they're synchronized with Google's servers (at least in my case) when the device has data access, automatically. One can also manipulate this data from a computer by logging into Google (again, in my case) and it automatically synchronizes to the phone. It also doesn't matter one loses or breaks the handset, as the data can be synched to another phone easily.

In addition to the normal contacts/calendar/e-mail, I have spreadsheets like my 1700-entry movie list on there, so that when we're out shopping we don't re-purchase the same movie.

My wife was the last convert, she had been using her T|X until she had to buy a new cell phone. She was using the T|X as a music player while flying, now she just puts the phone on airplane mode and listens using it.

We're using Samsung Galaxy SII (SGH-898 Hercules model) from T-mobile. Works fine. We're not chasing new versions simply for their own sakes, and they do basically anything we could want. Wish I had a full keyboard like my T-Mobile G1, but them's the breaks.

Old 07-25-13, 10:01 AM
Thank you, and yes, that is pretty much what I assume will the best way to go. I didn't think to mention this, but the only thing is that I have two issues with this option, both of which I will probably have to simply accept at some point. The first is security. Right now, I don't have to worry about someone hacking a server someplace, because my data is in my pocket and on my desktops. Not that my pc couldn't be hacked too, but much less likely than on a server that is who knows where. The second is monthly fees. I hate them. Of course we all pay them, whether a land line, cell phone, gas bill, whatever, and I understand, but I consider money spent to access my own data as a total waste. But, now that I think about it, and for all I know, maybe it's all in the cost of a regular monthly cell phone bill, so will check into it. But those are my issues, and I do appreciate the feedback.

Old 07-25-13, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
What about a tablet? I mean...I really don't know what kind of apps they have or if they would have what you need, but folks I know that have them really seem to like them. And for more than watching movies or reading. Even though they are small, they are a heck of a lot bigger than a phone. My wife will try to show me something on her smart phone...and it's near impossible for me to read or make out details of a pic.

Old 07-25-13, 11:21 AM
Yeah, now you're hitting on another issue that I have, which I guess I hadn't really thought about; I don't even know what most of this stuff is! I haven't been sleeping under a rock, so have heard of tablets, but don't know what they are. Maybe it's time that I take a trip to Best Buy or one of those, and see what some of the options are. And apps, no clue. I mean I've heard people rave about some app's, meanwhile thinking that it was too bad they didn't have a real life. But I also have heard of some that are pretty slick. One guy had one a while back for rafters, I think it was, and yes, it worked. I was a little slower, but arrived at the same answer with my calculator, so not sure that I would pay extra for that exact one, but that one was obviously a good tool. As for reading material, we have library cards, so probably not something that I would use much, but yes, maybe the answer is to go touch and feel some of what is available. Most likely it won't be that hard to find; more a matter of submitting to the change.

Old 07-25-13, 11:33 AM
My wife and I (as well as my 4yrs old) have moved to tablets and/or smart phones.
Other then digital camera photo transfer and a couple other minor items, we rarely touch the computer at home.

Old 07-25-13, 12:35 PM
I have been thinking along the same lines not about Palm Pilots as I don't have any of those but of getting a smart phone but a Tracfone smart phone as I have a limited income. Also getting a Kindle fire only in my case I have an option of getting one free because of shopping information I send on a weekly basis. Speaking of Kindles I had read or heard somewhere that Amazon.com gives away some storage space on their servers for their customers. As a matter of fact they do I just looked it up Amazon Cloud Drive: Learn More.

So having 5gb of free storage space in the cloud as they call it isn't bad and you can use it on any device for anything. I also just started using Drop Box which is also free but limits you to only 2gb for free and you have to maintain it every 90 days or they erase your free storage locker. For more information on Drop Box click on this link http://www.dropbox.com . Any of these are free but you do need to download special software to upload your files. Kindle Fires too have been known by the way to lose wifi connections and sometimes not connect so they are better sometimes at home just so you know.

Old 07-25-13, 01:45 PM
They do still make the iPod touch. It's basically an Apple iOS device without the phone part. Touchscreen and everything. Don't know how it would work to add stuff to it, never tried.

I've heard of people using smartphones as Personal Digital Assistants, without phone service, but I have no experience with how to make this work from a difficulty perspective.

Old 07-25-13, 01:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use my Ipod touch mostly for downloading music and playing on jobsite through my Ridgid radio which has a dock for it. You could use the calendar or other features for organization. I'll have to admit, too, although I use an Atrix2 phone with everything on it daily, I fall back every evening to my PalmOne Lifedrive for keeping track of jobs and my guy's time/pay, etc. I don't know why. The Atrix2 will handle it hands down, and eventually I'll migrate to one instrument.

Had to take wifey in for a small surgical procedure today and while at the hospital, I couldn't get her Ipad to hook up to their WiFi. Atrix2 loaded it up just fine. I did a little DIY stuff while in the waiting room on the phone.

Old 07-25-13, 02:01 PM
I know you can hook up a smart phone to wifi either at home or anywhere else for that matter as I had the use of one for a week doing a survey for a company so I had a chance to experiment a bit with it. As for using it for anything more than the internet I can't say as I didn't try to make a call on it but wanted to see if I could connect to wifi. There are numerous auction websites and some run by former retired police officers where you could get a used smart phone cheap. Some of them I hear can use SD cards which can hold a great deal of data. So the possibilities are limitless.

Larry sorry to hear your wife had to go in for a procedure I hope she will do fine. Kindle Fires have the same problem in hospitals. It has something to do with the wifi chip in them I hear.

Old 07-25-13, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks, Richard, no nothing really bad. Good to know the Kindles have the same problem.

Old 01-27-14, 09:19 PM
Which PalmPilot (yes) Should I Get?

I am an avid PPPer (Palm Pilot Person) even though I have a smart phone. For 15 or so yrs I have kept an extensive database in my Palm and DO NOT want to integrate it with a phone (too easy to physically lose) or internet (don't trust ANYTHING as confidential if it is connected to internet or on a phone).

Someone raised the idea of having a phone without connecting it. Does this mean I can download apps then disconnect phone service, internet, turn off wifi, and then just use the phone as a database with cool apps?

1) If so, which PalmOS phone out there would you recommend? My preference would be one that has the largest screen.

2) I am assuming I need a PalmOS in order to transfer over all of my data. Is that correct or can I transfer address/memos/datebook to a different OS?

3) If phone option isn't viable, which Palm would you recommend that has a memory slot for expansion and is durable? I have a Zire 71 now that I love, but it is on it's last legs. It also has a camera which I only use if my phone camera is not working. I don't need wifi or internet.

Thank you---SP

Old 01-28-14, 04:59 AM
Welcome to the forums. Seven-inch Android tablets are widely available for $100 or less, and may be just what you need. Apple devices are quite a bit more.

Either way, flip a soft switch to "Airplane Mode" and the wifi, GPS, and cellular connections are turned off.

Whether you get an Apple or Android device, you first pull the data off the Palm to the PC, then transfer it to the device via USB or wifi.

Old 01-28-14, 09:26 AM
TY for responding! Hey, are you pulling an all nighter or just getting up??! I just got the 7" Fire HDX. Willl that work? Actually, I had wanted to use that for skype and apps which means I would still need something different for all my data.

I was shocked when I realized that these innocuous cell apps are requesting permission to delete/modify the SD card, read our contacts (I keep no contacts in my phone), know our exact location, and even turn on audio and video at their discretion. Big Brother is on the way.

1) Am I correct in assuming that apps for tablets are capable of similar antics?
2) So when not using Skype, I just go into Airplane mode. Is there any way that the apps can
send back info to their companies in this mode?
3) Any way to block it when I go off Airplane mode? Within the first minute they are probably sending all my info.
4) In any case, how do I transfer my pc Palm database to the new instrument? I have PD
vers 4.0.1 and not sure if I still have discs.

Two tablets and a phone in my purse is probably too much to isolate the 3 purposes: database, convenient size for apps, cell calls. Maybe I'm back to a small Palm only for my database. What are your thoughts/recommendations?

Sorry for so many q's. I really appreciate!

Old 01-29-14, 04:25 AM
1) Am I correct in assuming that apps for tablets are capable of similar antics?
Yes, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Permission to modify the SD card is so the app can store and delete information that it needs in order to operate. Accessing the GPS is usually so the app can make recommendations based on location.
2) So when not using Skype, I just go into Airplane mode. Is there any way that the apps can send back info to their companies in this mode?
Not while Airplane Mode is on. As soon as you go back online it will send the info. Again, though, it's not as bad as it sounds.
3) Any way to block it when I go off Airplane mode? Within the first minute they are probably sending all my info.
There is a way (in settings) to delete an app's info and cache, but you have to re-enter certain data every time you use it.
4) In any case, how do I transfer my pc Palm database to the new instrument? I have PD
vers 4.0.1 and not sure if I still have discs.
Here's a download location for PD 4.1.4
Palm Support : Palm Desktop 4.1.4 and HotSync Manager (Windows)

I wouldn't trust any of my computers or portable devices with banking info, passwords, and certain other personal info. Fortunately this "permissions" thing in most apps is not as bad as it seems. Most apps are legit and don't abuse the permissions we allow. When you find an app, read the reviews -- both in the store and on the web. Stick to apps that are found only in the official store (Google Play, or Apple Store). Use apps that have been on the market for awhile and have thousands of downloads. Download a security app like Avast. Finally, pay for apps that you like. Most are just a few dollars. You'll get rid of ads and get more functionality. The paid apps are also less likely to be malicious than the freebies.