Startup processes

Old 08-01-13, 04:21 AM
Startup processes

I'm getting the following message from Norton 360. Computer is in fact running slow. I followed one of the links and the $4.99 turns into $29.99 real fast. Can't I fix this kind of thing (startup processes) myself? How?

Name:  _MG_7356_wm.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  33.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-13, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that although it says "Norton", it may be non-Norton malware in disguise. There are an awful lot of these around (SpyFalcon, et al).

Have you run a good malware checkup program, ie Malwarebytes, Superantispyware?

Old 08-01-13, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, looks like it's legit; doesn't make it any less annoying and intrusive. See if this helps:

Norton PC Checkup Rescue Me Problem - Norton Community

And to answer your base question, yes, you can adjust start-up services yourself with a little research.

Old 08-01-13, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
I'm going to recommend using a free program, such as Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials. When they find something, it doesn't cost any or more money to fix it.
I dropped Norton a long time ago. McAfee is no better, IMO.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-01-13 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
I wasn't going to bash, but if Shadie already did I can pile on.

Old 08-01-13, 07:05 AM
I was going to say the same thing Becky. Many times I found that either Norton or Mcafee found false positives. Their tech support was lousy too and to get rid of the rest of the program I had to wipe the disk on a desktop of mine. Luckily this was a long time ago when my hard drive was no bigger than 40gb so it didn't take too long then. I also agree with the-tow-guy when he says to use SuperAntiSpyware as a back up to any of the mentioned anti-virus Shadeladie mentioned. If you have both and scan regularly you will not have any problems.

Old 08-01-13, 07:11 AM
In the beginning, Norton products were the best available. Peter Norton was ahead of his time. I believe he eventually sold out and wasn't involved in the production of the software being sold under his name.

It became horrible. Over complicated. Bulky. Buried itself so deeply on your PC, that removing it completely was almost a matter of formatting your hard drive.

With all the free antivirus/malware products available, there is basically no reason to purchase one.

Malwarebytes/MSE is an excellent combination.

Old 08-01-13, 08:13 AM
What they said Norton is bloatware. It does permeate your system. You actually need a special tool to remove it effectively (NoNav). Avast free is great, its surprising how much it will do. SuperAntiSpyware's default settings can be kinda aggravating, they nead to be adjusted. Mbam is the way to go, its one of the first apps I install on a computer. The triple threat, silent, swift and deadly. Think about using Sandboxie with those, your system will be close to bullet proof. Make sure they all stay up to date.

Old 08-02-13, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Norton is horrible and difficult to remove but worth the effort when you're done.

There's too many good free products out there to pay for AV, IMO.

Old 08-02-13, 05:22 PM
OK I'll try Mbam although are you sure you spelled it right? Yes the Norton subscription The phone number on the Norton popup is answered by the "Norton Live Ultimate Help Desk", so it appears to be valid.

Old 08-02-13, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
I can honestly say I hate Nortons in my experience. I also suggest a free program such as Avast!, AVG, or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Old 08-02-13, 06:36 PM
Group Moderator
Or just don't use Windows. There are other good operating systems and they are not affected by malware or viruses. Some are even free.

Old 08-03-13, 03:57 AM
All, my question was about how to fix the startup processes issue. I get it that nobody likes Norton but AV is not the question (maybe it was my mistake to show the Norton popup).

The computer is running slow overall - can I clean things up on my own (or with free software) without using a special service?

Old 08-03-13, 05:27 AM
Start with cleaning up the debris browsing the Internet creates. Temp files can really gum up the works, use CCleaner, its free, effective and easy to use. Let it analyze with the default settings, the run it. Dont worry about it deleting something important, whatever it finds is useless (if you want to keep cookies, you'll have to change that setting). You'll be surprised how much it finds.

Now if your machine starts up slow, it is probably loading too many unnecessary programs at boot time. Use the MSConfig utility. There is a youtube video tutorial.

Old 08-04-13, 04:09 PM
Thanks, CCleaner seems to have helped after just the cleanup scan. Everything doing better now.

Still don't know what Norton wants. Guess I'll just ignore him!

Old 08-05-13, 02:21 PM
CCleaner is a good program but part of your slow down problem is Norton itself. Norton used to be great software and they would even let you use it for free for a month to see if you liked it or not. Now the free offer is gone and the antivirus program is lousy because it slows down your programs to a crawl. Even the fastest processor can't handle Norton because of the way it slows everything down. Get rid of Norton completely and your computer will feel better and you will save some money.