Upgrading from XP to Windows 7

Old 10-04-13, 08:16 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Upgrading from XP to Windows 7

I am currently running XP on my PC and would like upgrade to Windows 7. I understand this is possible, but was curious if after installing Windows 7 will Office 2000 still be available or will all programs be lost? I am concerned because I cannot seem to find my Office 2000 disk. I suppose I could use Open Office, but I'd rather not. What I'm ultimately trying to do is retire my existing magnetic drive, purchase a solid state drive, and install Windows 7 on it and be able to use Office 2000 (without reinstalling because I don't have the disc). To upgrade from XP to 7 and change drives, I'm assuming I will need to first install XP on the new drive, then run the Windows 7 upgrade, correct? Is there any way to recover my Office 2000 software without the disc?

Old 10-04-13, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Seems the only way to keep Office, is to install the new drive as the slave, copy or transfer the old drive to the new drive, then make the new drive the Master and then upgrade to 7.
Maybe someone has a better way.

Old 10-04-13, 09:05 AM
M
Ok, but I think performing the upgrade to Windows 7 is considered a clean install, so I would lose all my programs. Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a more recent version of Office because I don't believe 2000 will be supported for very much longer, as XP will not either.

Old 10-04-13, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
That's right, I forgot about that when you upgrade from XP.
I upgraded from Vista, so didn't have that problem.
Wait for someone else to respond. They may have a solution.
Otherwise, you'll have to get a new Office. There would be no way to keep the old one.

Old 10-04-13, 10:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
How old is the machine? What are the specs (processor, HD capacity, RAM)?

I would be inclined to replace the machine based on you saying XP and Office 2000 but maybe it's newer and more powerful than I'm intuiting.

Old 10-04-13, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Use the upgrade assistant... It will check your computer... Windows 8 is the same as 7, its just 8 has the metro screen from what I know...

Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

IMO you will have a nightmare on your hands.. Its easier and less aggravation to buy a new computer..

Windows 7 is not offered anymore AFAIK too..

I did the windows ME upgrade to XP way long ago, and that computer never worked right. It was a nightmare and I ended up taking a sledge hammer to it...LOL ( Sony viao $2000 bucks back in the day...)

Old 10-04-13, 11:40 AM
M
I had the PC built about 7 years ago, but it still runs like a champ and I don't have any issues with it. The hard drive is full and I simply want to upgrade to a solid state drive. A friend told me XP wouldn't be supported past April of next year, so I figured I would upgrade to Windows 7 so my system isn't vulnerable to attack. I had a Windows 2000 disc since before I bought the PC, so I went ahead and installed it. I only use the PC for email, internet, and word processor now and then, so it is really all the power I need.

I'm not certain of the exact specs offhand, but I believe it has a 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive. The

Old 10-04-13, 12:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I would just add an external (or another internal if you have room) drive for data and leave the OS alone.

Also, I have a SSD on my PC as the boot device but I still use a 7200 RPM drive for data. I wouldn't go to just the SSD. Additionally, I don't know if you can get a SSD bigger than what you have now (since you said the existing drive is full, you'd need a bigger one, right?) and it would probably cost an arm and a leg if you can.

Old 10-04-13, 01:10 PM
M
I planned on keeping the XP drive as a slave and using the SSD as the master, with Windows 7 as the OS. I already have an external drive as well. I basically want to get a SSD and think it would be wise to upgrade to 7 because of XP becoming unsupported in April. I can get a 250 GB SSD for under $200, and I just found out that my employer offers Office 2013 Professional Plus for home use to employees for $10.

Old 10-04-13, 01:42 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could upgrade to windows 7 and probably using any Windows 7 disk but you may have problems especially with older programs. I say that because I have been down the same path as you have. When I built my desktop for my office I used the system builder Windows 7 install disk and ran into problems installing Microsoft Works Suite 2000 which had Word incorporated.

I was able to get past that by using my disk and starting the install over again but if you don't have the disk then you will probably run into problems. As for compatibility yes the Windows 8 wizard will be somewhat helpful but the Windows 7 wizard will be more helpful. Here is the link I found for Windows 7 Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows. You can also find the full version of Windows 7 on sale at Amazon.com and probably other retailers. I wasn't unfortunately able to find the system builders version which is cheaper. Prices though have gone down.

As I understand your computer it is a desktop which is in your favor as most but not all desktop hardware is easier to find drivers for in Windows 7. If this was a laptop you would have a harder time trying to find drivers for it. Buy Windows 7 32 bit though especially if you are not already running Windows XP 64 bit otherwise things will not work right. Here is a link to a primer on how to find out if your current operating system is 32 or 64 bit How To Tell if You Have Windows XP 64-bit or 32-bit .

Once you know that then you are all set. I personally though wouldn't try an upgrade and would rather wipe the drive first and then install Windows 7 Professional (which is what I have because it is the intermediate version and I think the better version). As to an Office suite you are right you shouldn't install Open Office as that project is for all intense and purposes dead. Instead try LibreOffice it is from some of the same people who worked on Open Office but is alive and well. Here is a link to LibreOffice LibreOffice 4.1 is here!.

I use LibreOffice and can open some files Office 2010 can't open as well as Office 2010 files too. I have LibreOffice on my Laptop and can easily open files from my desktop which now has Office 2010. I can also turn some files into pdf files if I so desire too. I found out about LibreOffice on the PCLinuxOS forum and do occasionally use it on Linux too so it definitely is cross platform and best of all free too with compatibility in about any operating system.

So in short it can be done and don't be entirely discouraged if the upgrade adviser says otherwise as Microsoft wants people to spend more money on their newer software. That also puts them on the good side of computer manufacturers too. Just let us know what the upgrade adviser says and we can advise you further. Granted your computer is fairly old but not too old.

As for an SSD drive though I wouldn't use that in that old a computer as the hardware isn't really suited to SSD drives and more suited to the older drives. You could certainly upgrade though to a larger hard drive just don't use an SSD in older hardware.

Old 10-04-13, 06:18 PM
M
Thanks for the (abundance) of info. Correction, my processor is 2.1 GHz. You still don't think I"ll see any significant performance improvements with a SSD? According to Device Manager, my motherboard has an Intel 82801GB/GR/GH serial ATA controller.

Old 10-04-13, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
I can get a 250 GB SSD for under $200,
You could get a new desk top for $400 or under... Use you current monitor keeps the price down...

example

Dell Factory Outlet: Error

Example I bought my current 660 non slim though, link shows slim, model from scratch and dent... Was same price 369. I have 8 gb memory though.... And you want at least the 3rd gen i5 processor. The i3's stink and the i 7 is too much money
I tac out at 3.2 g hz...with the hyper thread technology...

XP is done in my home... After the first 8 computer all got replaced and the xp's went to the heap.....

Oh whatever scratch they said was on it...I could not find it.....

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-05-13 at 05:54 AM.
Old 10-04-13, 11:56 PM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why go through all this hassle by upgrading? Its going to be such a radical change that most apps might not even work (they will pop out a compatibility error message). I think the best way (this is purely my opinion) is to perform a clean install of Windows 7 on the new SSD you are planning to buy. Then you can transfer your files from the old HDD. This will of course mean you will loose all your purchased applications. But I think its time to upgrade that Office 2000.

Other possible way is to dual-boot MS Windows 7 and Windows XP. All your files and settings plus apps remain intact on your XP machine.

Or another theoretical way is to install Win7 cleanly and and use VM Ware Fusion to install Win XP inside Win7. Then copy the whole drive from your old WinXP to the new Virtual drive using CMD (this surprisingly worked for me once).

Old 10-05-13, 02:54 AM
H
You are welcome mossman I wanted to try to help you as much as possible. I think SSD drives are great from everything I have heard about them but on an older motherboard you are asking for trouble in my opinion. The problem lies in the serial ATA controller and what version you have. If the version is too old it might not work at all or more slowly. I found a Toms hardware discussion that talks about what I am talking about here is the link Will SSD work with this older system? [Solved] - SSD - Storage.

One member here I know tried an SSD in their system and it didn't work at all. Also as another member here pointed out not all SSD drives are created equal and some have lousy reputations for breaking down quickly. As to the best brand I can't say and can't remember the brand the other member recommended as it was too long ago. All I can suggest is that you look for reviews and ask other forums for advice too. Also consider price as since these drives are not commonly used by everyone yet they are more expensive especially with the larger drives.

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-05-13 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-05-13, 03:24 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For the record, Open Office is no longer supported. LibreOffice is its replacement.

But since you're getting MS Office for $10, who cares!

Old 10-05-13, 05:36 PM
M
One of the IT professionals at my work recommended the Samsung 840 SSD. A 250 GB drive can be had for under $200. I'm not completely adverse to having another system built, especially if installing an SSD with my current motherboard is going to cause problems. I'm not concerned with program compatibility. All I need is Office, and I can get it through my work for $10 (Office 2013).

Old 10-06-13, 09:21 AM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
For the record, Open Office is no longer supported. LibreOffice is its replacement.
OpenOffice is STILL supported.

They just released a new update on Tuesday actually.

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/a...openoffice_4_0

Old 10-06-13, 04:41 PM
H
You are right aandpan apparently Open Office is still supported but not as well as I saw a comment on their page about someone installing the newer version but then having to have to revert to an earlier version. When I went on the Libre Office page I could see more contributors there. Libre Office I think has more functionality since more people seem to be working on it. I have Libre Office 4.1 on my laptop which I believe is their latest version and haven't had any problems with it. I might even install it on my desktop too even though it has Office 2010 already on it.

Old 10-06-13, 06:57 PM
A
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I agree that LibreOffice seems to have better support lately. At least there is some competition out there though. It should make both of them a better product - in time.

I've been trying LibreOffice too.

I'm running Office 2003 and really hate to have to upgrade it eventually. The functionality that has been added in 2007, etc., isn't worth it to me. To many clicks to do things.

Old 10-07-13, 03:01 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Libre Office is the continuation of Open Office, which has been killed by Oracle. No more development will be done for OOo. It has been discontinued. Many of the same people who worked on OOo are now working on Libre Office.

Old 10-07-13, 05:50 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
windows 7

The "Big D" is offering desktops with Windows 7. Select windows 7 under "operating system" to see the choices.

Old 10-15-13, 08:02 AM
M
I found a WD 1TB magnetic hard drive for only $65. It has a SATA connection. As long as my motherboard supports SATA (it does), should this drive work in my PC? What about power? If my power supply doesn't have a SATA plug, then I wouldn't be able to use the drive. If this is the case, a new PC may make more sense. I would think that the company I had build my PC would have installed the appropriate supply to support SATA considering the motherboard supports SATA. Probably not the case, with my luck.

Just stumbled across this molex-to-SATA adapter:

Hardware issues - My power supply does not have a SATA power connector. How do I connect my PX-850SA?

Old 10-15-13, 06:40 PM
M
Ok, I cracked open the case and I have an ASUS P5LD2 motherboard, which has two SATA ports, one of which is being used for my 250 GB hard drive (running XP). The power supply also has two SATA jacks. So, I'm thinking of buying another hard drive (1 TB) and installing Windows 7 as the OS, then setting the existing (100% full) hard drive to a slave drive so I can still access my files. Will this setup work (Master with Windows 7 and Slave with XP)? I'll boot from the new drive (of course) and simply use the old drive for file access.

FYI, I ran the upgrade advisor and it appears that my hardware can handle the upgrade. I've read that with a Core 2 duo processor, I can run the 64-bit version, but my current version of XP is 32-bit so maybe it's best to stick with 32. And I'm finding several different versions of 7 out there (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Home Premium "Upgrade", "System Builder") and I'm not sure which one to get.

Update: did a little more research. Sounds like I should get the Windows 7 professional upgrade. To do so, I'll have to install XP on the new drive first, but that's no big deal. However, if I ever have to install Windows 7 on another hard drive, I'll have to follow the same process (install XP first). Guess it depends on how much money I save by doing it this way, and it's not likely I'll ever need to install 7 again so no biggy. BTW, the ultimate upgrade version is $25 cheaper ($152) than the professional upgrade. Which is better?

Just to be sure, as long as 7 is installed on my new HDD, I can move the HDD from one PC to another and it will work, correct? Reason I ask is because I may eventually upgrade to a new PC, but I would use the same hard disk with Windows 7 on it.

Last edited by mossman; 10-15-13 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 08:03 PM
H
It sounds like you have a good system especially with the processor you have. As far as running the computer in a dual boot mode between the two hard drives it will not work. On the same drive yes instead I would keep the old XP drive in the computer and use the 1TB drive as the main primary hard drive.

You will still have your files on the old XP drive as the slave drive and since you can get Office 2013 from your work for only $10.00 you can still open your files. As to 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 7 go with 64 bit don't worry most if not all of your old programs with a few exceptions will run fine even though your system is 64 bit. Microsoft Office by the way is 32 bit and works fine with Windows 7 as long as you have a version of years 2009-2013.

As to whether to use Home Edition,Professional or ultimate I suggest Windows 7 Professional as you can download Windows XP compatibility mode for use with some older versions of business programs. Windows Ultimate has two other things available Bitlocker and the ability to change languages easier but those two things are not necessary. Here is a link from Microsoft so you can compare versions Compare Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows .

System builder if you can find it for Windows 7 is the same as the retail version but without the fancy box and is usually cheaper. Prices though have gone down for Windows 7 whatever version you get. As to switching the hard drive to a newer computer sure it can be done if you wipe the drive first and then reinstall Windows 7. The reason being the hardware will be wrong and you will get errors. If you use it as the slave drive sure that will work fine but as the primary no unless you want trouble.

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 10-15-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 06:00 AM
M
As to 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 7 go with 64 bit don't worry most if not all of your old programs with a few exceptions will run fine even though your system is 64 bit. Microsoft Office by the way is 32 bit and works fine with Windows 7 as long as you have a version of years 2009-2013.
Ok, so you're saying my motherboard can handle the 64-bit version. What exactly are the advantages of 64 over 32 and will they be noticeable for what I use my PC for (web surfing, email, and word processing primarily). The only programs I need to reinstall are the HP Photosmart software (for scanning utility) and Panasonic HD Writer (Camcorder software). According to the HP website, there is an updated driver for W7. Not sure about HD Writer--it's only two years old so I'm probably ok.

Here's what I've found:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit System Builder: $95
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit System Builder: $89
Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade (includes 32-bit and 64-bit versions): $135.95
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit System Builder: $129
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit System Builder: $139
Windows 7 Professional Upgrade (includes 32-bit and 64-bit versions): $170

I like the idea of having both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same disc (Upgrade versions) in case 64-bit doesn't work out for some reason. Also, apparently when upgrading from XP to Home Premium, there is a "Virtual XP" option so I can use some of my older applications if desired. Not sure how this differs from what can be done with the Professional upgrade package. And why is Service Pack 1 stipulated? Can't I do a Windows update to get the latest service pack?

Old 10-16-13, 06:15 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Reading this makes me wonder why people use Windows.

Old 10-16-13, 06:38 AM
M
I know. It's ridiculous, but it's what's familiar to most of us.

Old 10-16-13, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Old 10-16-13, 07:05 AM
M
Apparently my camcorder software won't work with the 64-bit version. Think I should play it safe and stick with the 32-bit version. Considering I will likely get the Upgrade, I will have both and could try 64-bit first and if it doesn't work revert back to 32-bit.

Old 10-16-13, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
There should be an online upgrade for your software no? I use corel....

Old 10-16-13, 07:46 AM
M
Panasonic CS said there is no update for the 64-bit version, only the 32-bit. I'm not sure I will benefit much from the 64-bit version anyhow, considering I'm primarily using the PC for web surfing and email.

Old 10-16-13, 09:45 AM
M
Unless convinced otherwise, this is what I will be ordering today:

- Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB HDD, 7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s, 64MB cache
- Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade (may decide to get professional at last minute)
- Aleratec SATA data cable
- Samsung TS-H492 internal CD-RW/DVD-ROM (to replace my seldom-used drive that only opens once for every 100 button presses, for some reason)

Last edited by mossman; 10-16-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-16-13, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Are you doing an upgrade or a clean install?

When I did an upgrade back in XP days it never really worked well... I ended up doing a complete clean install.

Then I slowly added what was needed in turns of software/drivers/programs.

Old 10-16-13, 10:10 AM
M
It's called an upgrade because it requires you to have an existing copy of XP installed. Once it verifies XP is there, it goes ahead with a clean install. So it's kind of a PITA that I have to install XP on the new drive first. I may just go ahead with the System Builder version. If I update my PC, I'll either back up the drive to an external drive, wipe it, then reinstall Windows, or use it as a slave drive and get a new primary drive (like what I'm about to do now). That being said, here is the revised plan/shopping list:

- Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB HDD, 7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s, 64MB cache
- Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit, System Builder
- Aleratec SATA data cable
- Samsung TS-H492 internal CD-RW/DVD-ROM (to replace my seldom-used drive that only opens once for every 100 button presses, for some reason)
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013

...for a grand total of about $230.

Old 10-16-13, 01:06 PM
H
I wouldn't buy the upgrade since you are going to do a clean install. As to 64 bit or 32 bit here is what a salesman told me who works for Tiger Direct back when there was only Windows XP. I had been thinking then of building my own computer back then and actually waited until Windows 7 came out and was glad I did. Anyway to make a long story short I was looking at a Motherboard that could handle a 64 bit operating system. I asked him would my copy of Windows XP 32 bit work he said sure it should but it will be more sluggish.

So the only thing I can add is if the upgrade adviser said you can use 64 bit then by all means use it as your system will work faster. Why all I know is that it has to do with how the processor handles things. This being verified by others I have talked to since the salesman at Tigerdirect. Before you buy the operating system ask the seller if that has both versions of the operating system in the package. I bought my last copy of Windows 7 at Amazon.com and it had both copies. If a program is run in compatibility mode including camera software it should be fine.

I have Nikon Camera software on my computer and the camera has worked fine when I have hooked it up to the computer so I imagine your camera would work fine too but can't say absolutely that it will. As to service packs on Windows 7, Windows 7 only has service pack one and all copies have that now incorporated into the operating system. I had heard that they might eventually roll out a service pack 2 but no real date has been announced. I think Microsoft kind of wants everyone to move on to Windows 8 when not everyone wants to do that yet.

Old 10-16-13, 01:25 PM
M
W7 Pro System Builder was the same price as W7 Home Premium Upgrade, so I opted for the System Builder version. I believe either way it would have been a clean install. It's just that the upgrade version needs to "see" a previous Windows version installed before it will proceed with the W7 install. That's my understanding anyway. I appreciate all of your help.

Old 10-16-13, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Again my only advice is to read more before you go forward. I would not do it myself. I would just refresh XP if you have issues. I would just buy a win 7 or 8 computer.

Like I said I had 4 xp computers in the home. Once I got the first win 8 computer to replace my failed laptop I ditched them all. Stripped them and sent the bodys to the recyclers.

I have all win 8 computers. Dont use metro screen on most but 8 is way faster then 7.

Just my opinion of course.

Read here.

Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version - Windows 7 Help Forums

Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums

And poke around else where about upgrade and/or vs clean install....

Old 10-16-13, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
I dont understand why anyone would want windows 7. Its no different then 8... You do not have to use the metro screen in 8. 8 is so much faster....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vYDl7Gg9_h8

Old 10-16-13, 01:34 PM
M
Already purchased the System Builder version (same as retail). Should be good to go. Thanks.

Old 10-16-13, 02:01 PM
H
I think you are all set and ready to go I hope they give you both versions just remember you can't use it on two computers unless it is licensed for two. If you do then you will have update problems, some people believe you can since both are there. Anyway if you get rid of that computer and build another you can always wipe the drive and keep the sticker off of the old computer.

Mike Windows 8 isn't really bad and I am not against it like other people are but there have been some very valid criticisms of Windows 8 and the main one not being able to see your programs as well. Then too for some things older hardware and that includes printers too isn't supported in Windows 8. So for those who like the operating system I am glad you do but I think I will wait until Windows 9 or later and hopefully then they will have scrapped some of the bad ideas I heard about with the operating system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: