Bigmike, dkerr, anyone.....HELP!!!!

Old 02-24-01, 09:49 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I have crashed again! Windows 98se. On a reboot this PC gives an "operating system not found" message. This in itself doesn't stump me. I am able to load tools from floppy and run scandisk. What this finds is where it gets odd. Long invalid file names, corrupted and crossed clusters and corrupted temp files. At the prompts it will repair clusters and remove long file names and corrupted temp files. This is as far as the tools will take me. I have not been able to run a thorough scandisk yet as I have done in the past. This is what enabled me to do a partial restore last time this happened. That was one month or so ago. At this point attempting to get into safemode brings an A:\ prompt that only typing "scandisk" gets any action. Of course this has been done. I'm sure I don't know all the promts but SYS C, SYS D and many others get no response. Any thoughts on a valid prompt? Attempting to run the recovery disk says "Starting HP Recovery Disk" followed by "Error-Hard Disk Not Found". It says if I have a hard disk installed(duh) I may have to fdisk(ugh). It may fdisk but that is the last option I would like to try. I don't understand this because C drive was able to be scandisked. A normal boot brings "Operating System Not Found". I recovered from this same group of anomolies before but can't seem to get ahead this time. Thanks in advance for any input!...Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-01, 10:59 AM
I assume you have a 2nd computer since you were able to reach this site.

1 thing I would like you check (not likely the cause but don't want to overlook anything) is that your IDE cables have not become lose, just open the cover and just maek sure the IDE ribbon cable is firmly seated at both ends.
Also check that the jumper for master/slave is firmly in place on the hard drive.

My understanding is that yo already tried from a windows 98 system boot disk, is to type SYS C: at the dos prompt.
Just checking...I beleive you said that.

I hope this is not a sign of an impending Hard Drive Failure, that is a possibility ....

Is there only 1 hard drive on your system ?

You seem like a person with some experience with computers so I assume you have checked the most logical things, What bothers me is when you get a message stating no hard drive present. Reboot that computer and watch any sequence of messages that appear while booting (no floppy in drive) tell me at what point and message at the point it stops.

Another possibility is a virus corrupted your system but that would not explain a hard drive not detected error.

If fdisk doesn't detect the presense of a hard drive, then you have problems...Possible hard drive failure or controller failure. I have diagnostic software on floppy that I can create an image and get to you via email (since you are also a moderator)that can also run checks on the system, and if that doesn't detect it , well hard drive or controller failure.

Hopefully at least fdisk will get you back up. I am reasonably assured that you have tried other options. What size is the hard drive in question ?

Old 02-24-01, 11:04 AM
Oh perhaps just to be on the safe side (again I don't think this is it) when you boot up on a floppy , type DATE, does teh corerct date come back, now type TIME, does it look right. This may tell us if the small battery on the motherboard has not failed, which means you could lose your bios settings. I have no way of knowing if you would normally have these set properly or not, I would imagine you would.

Old 02-24-01, 11:25 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool

In all the years I have been around computers I have never seen a cmos battery fail. Not that they don't but I found and old main board in the closet here not to long ago, threw some memory on it and booted it and the time was right. It had to have been laying in the closet since 1987 at least. Anyway have you tried to completely unplug the hard drive and boot? The board will boot or POST without any drives. If it doesn't boot I will say that the bios chip itself has failed from either a virus or maybe a power surge or the main board itself has failed. I have seen main boards fail and do some strange things. Try what Don mentioned about the clock, if it holds time do you have a spare HD you can plug in? Also if you can get fdisk to run, check to make sure the primary partition is still active. Really sounds like a board failure or virus. Try to format and reinstall. See what happens. The op system not found means the windoze directory has failed. Lets go from here...

Old 02-24-01, 11:50 AM
I also have never had a cmos battery fail, I have had a hard drive failure once, in my case the hard drive was reconized by the motherboard, but massive errors on the harddrive, and in the end I could not format the drive or recreate partitions.

I recently had 1 drive that a double checked for a friend of mine , as soon as it was hooked up , it took down the entire IDE bus, no hard drives reconition , no floppy reconition, multiple error messages at boot up, and quickly disconnected it and things came back to normal. It went out with the other garbage on garbage pickup day.

Old 02-24-01, 02:22 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
First, Thank you all for diving into my problems. I looked into all of the ideas and many from other sources and none were of much help. I had to do the full format routine, which I hated to do. I lost the last months data but that is not to bad. This PC is running perfectly. If a virus of some sort destroyed my system is it now gone with this format?

Old 02-24-01, 03:16 PM
It should be gone with the format, some virus can remain in memory and get put back to the system, but if your formatted the drive , then shut down the computer/power off then power back up, any residing in memory would be gone, then reinstall the system.

Old 02-24-01, 11:11 PM
Marshall Buttrey
Visiting Guest
Ijust read more detail posts about the battery, but I will leave this one here because it is real, and a royal pain in the a__ when it goes down.

One thing that often gets overlooked is that little ole battery that keeps the bios when power is turned off. I had a simular problem 3 or 4 years ago, and the battery caused it. That is the only time I ever had to put a pc in the shop.

I dont know about newer PCs but on older ones: WHEN the battery goes the bios looses the entire configuration of the hard drive. It doesn't know how big it is, how many heads it has, how many clusters, etc.

Might be wise to change it every 2 years.

Marshall Buttrey

[Edited by Marshall Buttrey on 02-25-01 at 02:16]

Old 02-25-01, 08:41 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Battery/Crash

I would almost bet that the Windoze op system just had a brain fart and that was the end of it. It happens, you may have got hit with some destructive Java script, bad Active X script. Remember, not everyone out there knows how to write code the right way. Adult sites are very bad about BAD scripting, whether on purpose or accidental. The battery, you may wish to change it but I honestly don't think that was your problem. Check it now before you go any further. Shut down, unplug the PC, wait about 10 minutes, reboot. If it came back the battery is OK but change it if you wish. ***Make sure you change it while the PC is ON!*** If you don't, when you pull the Cmos battery with the PC off it will reset the bios and you will have to start over again. One last thing, if this computer is fairly new there may not be a battery, it could be a capacitive circuit that charges a capcitor that slowly releases it's voltage over a long period...