Any Satellite Internet for gaming and Netflix?

Old 11-21-13, 04:05 AM
Any Satellite Internet for gaming and Netflix?

Son is moving to a house built in 77 that is now in a commercial area. THe owner is renting until it sells. Only commercial buildings are around it now. Even though there is a Bellsouth box, At&t says they cannot service! TIme Warner Cable says the same thing.
So we are looking at having to do go with satellite TV and internet. Everything I have researched has max GB of 40GB for $129 just for internet. And a lot of what I read says gaming and streaming movies is poor.

Is there ANY out there what will do these two things? THey were hoping their internet AND TV would be around $100. THis is not good. BTW there is a huge dish on the house. EXEDE. Satellite Internet Service - High Speed Broadband | Exede Official Site THeir disclaimer says: The performance of some games over the Internet is very poor and some games may not work at all.

Anyone have more information?

THanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-13, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Who is the phone provider? AT&T? Surprised they wouldn't offer DSL. Unless he is planning on doing some serious gaming, he can get by on 12GB. That's all I have and I run an AT&T microcell, Roku streamer, 3, sometimes 4 computers, printer, etc. off the same connection at the same time and have no problems at all. 40GB is a bit overkill, but then, I don't game, so it may be necessary.

Old 11-21-13, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
I have Wild Blue (basically same company as Exede and Viasat and sold under the DirecTV, Dish Network and AT&T) satellite Internet. I would not recommend it as a sole source for entertainment (TV). It is fast enough for streaming standard definition movies at a cost of 1.5 to 2 gig per movie. Watching TV consumes about the same bandwidth per hour so it's easy to use 4+ gig per day which makes it an expensive option. You can Skype and VOIP but the latency can make it annoying.

Because of the latency communicating to the satellite your son will get slaughtered if he tries most online games. There is no fix for the fact that the signal has to travel about 44'472 miles before it even connects to the Internet. So when your son sends a gaming command the data has traveled almost 89'000 miles out and back for him to see a response by which time some ogre or demon will have lopped off his head.

Old 11-21-13, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
I've worked with the Hughes DishNet system and it's not much better.

Old 11-21-13, 02:57 PM
I don't have satellite myself and wouldn't really want it. I did some investigating for a friend who is moving out to the middle of nowhere in Tennessee and wasn't impressed enough to give him many details. I just said it was an option he could use but didn't encourage him to subscribe. I think though they should at least have DSL available so I encourage your son to look into it. I wouldn't use DSL though for gaming or videos it is still too slow in my opinion.

Old 11-21-13, 05:56 PM
Nope, no dsl available. No local phone service at all.

Old 11-21-13, 11:00 PM
Not even cell phone service? My friend from Tennessee uses a mifi device from Verizon at a cost of approximately 30 dollars a month. They can be kind of slow though but it is better than no internet at all. I have never seen my friends but he has told me he is quite satisfied with it and it works better than dial up. Also very portable unlike a dish on the roof. There are many different brands out there though and one might better suit your son than the other. I suggest he goes to different cell phone stores to see a demonstration before buying.

Old 11-22-13, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
No phone service in a commercial area? I think somebody is misunderstanding someone. Sure I bet none of the business in the area need phone service and of course businesses don't need high speed internet.

Old 11-22-13, 01:17 PM
I have been on the phone with the company that took over bellsouth (AT&T) for HOURS! because there is a box there for local phone service, and they say they cannot service the house. It is absolutely INSANE. SOmething about now that it is zoned commercial and only commercial is around it, they cannot offer residential service.

Old 11-22-13, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
That is pretty strange. Maybe a call to the Public Utilities Commission is in order.

NCUC Consumer Complaint Information

Old 11-22-13, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
So there is telephone service despite what you said. Okay I can believe talking to A&T can be frustrating. Go online to Uverse and try setting up a Uverse account online. Do not call anyone.
AT&T U-verse Packages - Popular TV, Internet & Voice Bundles Yes, if Uverse is available you can get just DSL, no TV, no phone. That is what I have.

Old 11-22-13, 05:30 PM
Did all that. Won't work. The site also says service is not available.

Old 11-22-13, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
You try telling them you are the Acme company? Might cost a bit more but you would have service. Really I agree with PJ you need to call the Utility Commission.