Short Circuit

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-02-13, 03:32 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Short Circuit

I recently caused a short circuit by dropping a quarter on to a power strip. The quarter came in contact with the partially exposed prongs of my laptop charger and caused a short circuit that popped the circuit breaker. My laptop charger has a large AC converter hooked to it. There didn't seem to be any damage to the computer or charger (thank God) but the prongs were a bit, well melted and black (see picture). Is it ok too use or should I cough up the $100 for a new charger or should I put a new plug onto the cord.
 
Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-02-13, 04:24 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Polish with a little emery paper.
 
  #3  
Old 12-02-13, 10:36 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,446
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Ray it really isn't as bad as it looks. If you don't have emery paper then a file or sand paper should work fine.
 
  #4  
Old 12-04-13, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,648
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Agreed, the main contact with the power strip/receptacle will be further down on the prongs near the holes.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: