S-L-O-W Laptop

Old 12-09-13, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
S-L-O-W Laptop

Hi Guys,

I'm giving a friend a hand with his Sony VAIO laptop, which has gotten progressively slower over the past few months. I figure I'd come here because you guys have been really helpful in the past.

Here is what I have run into so far.

I initially had to run CHKDSK on it to get it to boot up.
I have had one 'blue screen' episode with it and one report of 'Can't find operating system'. I have done the 2-pass built in memory scan to try to see if there is a memory problem but that came up ok. I ran a scan with Avast and with Malwarebytes but both came up clean.

At this point I think I am looking at either a failing hard drive or maybe a virus problem.

In anticipation of a failing hard drive, I am trying to save his family pictures (which he naturally had not backed up).

So here is my problem: In saving those files, I can save some of them with no problem, but with others, I get a 'Corrupted' error message. I can open up the file on his failing laptop, but I cannot transfer it to a flash drive.
And here is my question: Given that I can open the problem files, is there some way to save them?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-13, 11:09 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Files

Open the file and "Save As" to allow you to specify the file save location.

Old 12-09-13, 12:05 PM
Isn't that the same process as 'dragging' a file from one location to another?

Though I'll try it anyway (I'm desperate) ... just to see if it works!

Old 12-09-13, 09:07 PM
I would try select all of the folder you want to save the pictures in and then copy and paste to the flash drive. That is the quickest way and usually the best way especially if the hard drive is failing just make sure you have a large enough flash drive when you do it or the transfer will fail. To find out how big the file is right click on the file and go down to properties you can then see the file size.

As to whether this is a virus or not I would use Super Anti Spyware free edition you can get here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!. I have found in my own tests that Super Anti Spyware seems to find things that other virus scanners can't. First thing though is to try to save the files and then anything you get off of that computer needs to be checked for viruses before allowing those items on another computer.

You could even set up various free e-mail accounts and start trying to send the files to yourself with those files being scanned upon arrival. It would take a long time though if there are quite a few pictures and not something I suggest except as a last resort.

Old 12-09-13, 10:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Last resort if you can open them on his computer do that and take a screen shot.

Have you tried using a flash drive and using the "copy to" (not copy) command on the right click menu. Not a Windows user but I assume it has a "copy to" command in its file manager.