old xp unit

Old 12-11-13, 01:21 PM
old xp unit

hello I am back again. Have an old xp desktop that I just reformatted myself... again. It's an old unit that I really don't care about that much about but it does work and I just kind of "practice" on it. Anyway I have the disk which is mine and loaded in and click,click, etc and presto clean install. Actually first thing I have to do is load SP3 from a memory stick as it won't "talk" to internet because of the old version of windows until i update to SP3. Anyway problem I am having is processor is running at 100% due to some svchost doodad. I have read it is due to auto updates but problem I am having it won't update. It says it is searching but it is searching, searching, searching, etc...nothing. I may have to do another install as I did this before and it was OK. Right now I am just going to let it keep searching until it finds them or "catches on fire" but I thought I would ask if it happens again

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-13, 03:20 PM
You shouldn't have any problems with updates after you load and install SP3. If you do you can run chkdsk and that usually will solve any problems. Of course after a while Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP.

You Could always try Linux and my favorite is PCLinuxOS which you can find out more about here So cool ice cubes are jealous PCLinuxOS. Best of all it is free too but isn't for everyone so be sure to read up about it first. I am writing my response on my Linux laptop I like about everything about it except a lack of printer support for some printers.

Old 12-11-13, 03:45 PM
If you installed SP3 onto your system it can "break" the automatic updates.

Apparently some modules fail to register properly. It's a common problem.

Just let it run, searching. I went through this a couple of weeks ago. It took hours for it to find the updates but after that it has worked correctly.

As to not connecting to the internet. It's probably not related to SP3 but more likely a missing driver for your nic or mobo.

Old 12-11-13, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
And I have have used Linux for over ten years and am the one who suggested PCLinuxOS to him. The one main downside to Linux is if you like to buy software you won't be able to. All the software is free. You will also be disappointed if you enjoy the challenge of installing software. In PCLOS it only takes a few clicks of the mouse to install and normally no rebooting. You will also have to stop thinking of that as an XP machine. It never was. It is a PC. XP is just the OS not a description of the machine.

Old 12-13-13, 10:37 AM
old xp

left it on for 6 hrs or so searching,searching,searching,searching...nothing Didn't catch on fire either...rats It works the way it is so I may just go with it and when ready I'll pop in the XP disk and clickety click to my heart's desire BTW... processor automatically ramps up to 100% when I boot up. When I check through the 3 finger salute it is one particular instance of the svchost. I can stop the process and it is OK for a time but it turns itself on again after a while. I have been reading that the updates will fix this but it just refuses to go get em.

Old 12-13-13, 11:33 AM
XP Updates

On my desktop PC running Windows XP, updates get installed during shut down.

Old 12-14-13, 06:16 AM
old xp

mine too but it wont even get them. I am probably just going to do another clean install. Maybe something didn't quite "take" when I did it. No big deal...it doesn't owe me anything...gotta be 10 years old or so