RJ-45 Connector won't fit my Switch

Old 12-14-13, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry RJ-45 Connector won't fit my Switch

I'm running cat5/6 throughout my townhouse as the wireless reception really sucks and I'd rather have a wired solution for my kids' Xbox, the two Logitech Revues, TV, etc. So, I've got a managed switch off my router connected to an unmanaged switch in my attic. Thus far, I've only had the need to run a couple of cables. Now, I am looking at running several more cables of the new switch in the attic. To save myself some time, I've started creating my cables in my living room while watching TV rather than up in the attic. I don't have a tester for my cables. So, I figured I would turn on the new switch while sitting here and plug the cables in the switch to see if they all work. :NO NO NO: Damn if I didn't run into an obstacle right off the bat......NONE of the cables fit in the ethernet ports on the switch....hmmmm, that's ODDD. So, I take the cables to a different switch, just to make sure. Sure enough, they don't fit there either. Somehow, I've gotten a whole bag of RJ-45's from work and NONE of them fit ANY Ethernet port I have in my house. WTF?!?!? I've never seen anything like this before. I searched online and I don't see an RJ-45 size 1 and RJ-45 size 2. What I do see is with the advent of Cat6, they evidently made the RJ-45 a slight bit larger to allow for thicker wires....but the size of the connector itself is supposed to be the same. Not for me. I went to my local Radio Shack, switch in tow , and asked them to open the package so I could check the connector....wouldn't fit. Same thing at Lowe's too. I haven't hit Staples or Best Buy yet but i figured I would post a message here first to see if someone could tell me what to do.

As an aside, for chits and giggles, for EVERY open ethernet cable I could find at the stores I went to, I tried to connect them to my switch...sure enough, they fit. It's only the connectors that you buy after market...the connectors that come WITH a cable fit fine.

PLEASE help me understand what to do...what to search for when looking. I THOUGHT if I searched for just "CAT5" or "CAT5e", I would be safe. But most everything is advertised as Cat5/5e/6...one size fits all. Ummmm...no, one size is NOT fitting all. How could the manufacturers not know this was happening? :No Beer 4U:

Thanks in advance, I appreciate someone saving me the aggravation.

Take care
Mike

PS - I created the post but forgot to mention, the new unmanaged switch is a D-Link DGS-108 and the managed switch is a Netgear gigabit switch. I've got IDeal connectors and some with no markings at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-13, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you look closely at a brand spanking new RJ-45 plug you'll see that the pins that make contact with the jack are sticking out of the plug. They get pressed and crimped into the wire with a crimp tool.

Until the RJ plug is crimped.... it won't fit into a jack.

Name:  800px-Uncrimped_rj-45_connector_close-up.jpg
Views: 4216
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 12-14-13, 07:19 PM
You know what, I feel like an idiot right now...not that I didn't know this but that I didn't think about it when I asked the clerk to open the package for me...lol.

That being said, it still isn't fitting. So, I took out one of the three "mistakes" I've made while making cables to take a picture and share. As I looked a little more closely, I noticed a couple of the pins were in fact not COMPLETELY down. So, I crimped it again, this time a little harder and voila, that did the trick. So, again, I feel even MORE of an idiot. And now I feel REALLY bad having the girl at Radio Shack tear open the package to have me check the connector....lol. I guess I'm heading back to Radio Shack to buy that package I asked her to open.

Thank you for clarifying my mistake. I REALLY appreciate it...as an engineer managing a NOC for a decent size company, my people will most definitely get a chuckle out of this....lol.

Have a good holiday.

Old 12-14-13, 07:31 PM
You know PJ, I can't BEGIN to tell you how many times I have REDONE cables because they did not work and I thought it was something I did wrong with the wiring...never in a million years did I think it was the CRIMPING...lmao. I have two cables I've set aside after giving up...I just recrimped them and voila, they work...lol Amazing. THANK YOU for pointing out such a simple thing.

Old 12-14-13, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
No sweat...... been there done that.

Since I do a lot of crimping with RJ plugs I have expensive crimpers.
I've noticed the inexpensive ones don't always crimp completely.

Old 12-15-13, 12:01 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Rj-45

If you do not already have one of these, you may find it helpful:

EZ Check Cable Tester - EZCT - Shop now - Black Box

Old 12-16-13, 12:37 AM
Actually, during my travels to find connectors that fit, at my Lowe's stop, I bought one of these...might be overkill but it covers a lot of different things I dabble in...

IDEAL Digital Multimeter

I'm still trying to understand exactly how it works but it seems pretty nice. I connected a couple of cables and learned which wires specifically were having problems. Then, I learned of my inability to crimp properly....lol. While I'm on the subject of crimping, can I ask some advice?

I have two crimpers...one that came with the kit but it doesn't crimp thoroughly. I've squeezed and squeezed but it still does not crimp completely. Then, I have a second one that I borrowed from work...I imagine I could get a five finger discount but I think Karma would bite me if I did...lol. So, I'd like to buy a nice crimper similar to the one I'm using from work but I have the WORSE time getting the connector to eject from the crimper after I crimp it. Is there a crimper you would recommend that 1. DOES the job and 2. the connector is easier to get out of the crimper after I crimp the connector? I mean I REALLY have to jiggle the connector left and right, up and down, in and out to get it out of the tool. It's a pain in the @ss to say the least....lol. One time, I had to use a screwdriver to push it out from the other side. It's a really nice one with interchangeable sizes but it's painful...lol.

Old 12-16-13, 11:12 AM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
How much do you want to spend? I think any ratchet crimper should do the job. I had a cheap plastic non-ratchet one from Radio Shack that I ended up breaking the handle in order to get a decent crimp so I bought a ratchet crimper from a local industrial electronics supply company for about $20 and it is still working well. Of course that was some fifteen to twenty years ago so the prices have risen a bit.

Here is one company that has several models from about $25 on up. I have no connection to MCM other than as a satisfied customer.

MCM Electronics - Search Results for rj45 crimper