Need New Desktop on the CHEAP.

Old 12-25-13, 01:33 PM
Need New Desktop on the CHEAP.

I would like to buy a basic desktop computer for under 300 dollars. Im considering refurbished. However, new would be great too if its cheap enough. Unfortunetly I cannot build my own but would be willing to buy it in parts. Can anyone suggest something for a cheapskate like myself?

THe only use I have for it is basic internet surfing, email retrieval and 2 programs I use. THe requirements are below. I am afraid these requirments will boost the cost of my new sysytem and quite possible not allow me to get refurbished or cheap.

I can always use an older programs so maybe im not tied to the following minimum requirements:

1.:

Minimum: entium III 1 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows Vista, XP (Service Pack 3), DirectX9 graphics card with 256 MB RAM, DVD-ROM drive, Windows Media Player 9 and Internet access to activate the program, Playchess.com, Letís Check, Engine Cloud and updates. Recommended: PC Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 (64 Bit) or Windows 8 (64 Bit), DirectX10 graphics card (or compatible) with 512 MB RAM or more, 100% DirectX10 compatible sound card, Windows Media Player 11, DVD ROM drive and Internet access to activate the program, Playchess.com, Letís Check, Engine Cloud and updates.

2:
Minimum: Pentium III 1 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Windows Vista, XP (Service Pack 3), 7/8, DirectX9, 256 MB graphics card, DVD-ROM drive, Windows Media Player 9 and Internet access for program activation, access to Playchess.com, Letís Check and program updates. Recommended: PC Intel i5 (Quadcore), 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1, DirectX10, 512 MB graphics card, 100% DirectX10-compatible sound card, Windows Media Player 11, DVD-ROM drive and Internet access for program activation, access to Playchess.com, Let's Check and program updates.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-13, 03:12 PM
Desktop PC

What is your question?........................

Old 12-25-13, 03:47 PM
Why in the world would you want to run Vista as the operating system? If you don't want Windows 7 then you are better off going all the way back to Windows XP, preferably the Pro version.

Old 12-25-13, 10:09 PM
Old 12-26-13, 03:36 AM
Thanks Clint, I will check those out... the price is right for sure!

Wirepuller38 wrote What is your question?........................
Can anyone suggest something for a cheapskate like myself?
I thought I was pretty clear in asking for a recomendation on a less than 300 computer that would handle those programs. My computer etiquete I guess is as bad as my computer savviness.

Why in the world would you want to run Vista as the operating system? If you don't want Windows 7 then you are better off going all the way back to Windows XP, preferably the Pro version.
I didnt say that. In fact, I dont know what the hell Vista or Windows 7 is!!!! Your pretty emotional about this Vista though, it must really suck whatever it is.

Old 12-26-13, 05:35 AM
Furd, those are the programs' minimum requirements. Obviously the programs are old, so the OS requirements of the day were either Vista or XP w/SP3.

Old 12-26-13, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
I've bought used off IBM's website a few times and would be willing to do so again.

Old 12-26-13, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Places like BestBuy and Staples, often have specials with pretty decent prices. Check the weekly circulars (you can view them online if you don't have the paper ones).

Old 12-26-13, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
I get my computers from the scratch and dent store from dell... Why pay top dollar IMO...

But I am a dell guy....

Dell Factory Outlet

Old 12-26-13, 08:53 AM
Are you looking for the tower or the whole system?