Monitor install problem

Old 12-25-13, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Monitor install problem

I treated myself to a "new" used monitor to replace an ancient CRT. It is an Asus VE228H 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor I found on Amazon. I connected the VGA output of my Dell Optiplex GS620 desktop to the VGA input of the monitor and booted up. What I get is a mostly bright white screen with a sort of "scroll-work" border at the bottom.
Name:  New Monitor (Custom).jpg
Views: 466
Size:  27.2 KB
I expected to have to tweak settings for the format but not a blank screen. There is not much in the way of a set-up guide. Can you help?
Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-13, 05:43 PM
I use an Asus but not that model. With the monitor not plugged in to your computer you should at least get the Asus logo on a black back ground when you turn it on. If you get a white screen with nothing plugged in you almost certainly have a bad monitor.

Old 12-25-13, 07:31 PM
Well, I unplugged the monitor and turned it on. It flashed the white screen twice then all black w/ no logo.
Ken

Old 12-26-13, 02:59 PM
Posternine,
Thanks! It is packed w/ an RA and is going back.
Ken

Old 12-26-13, 03:54 PM
Let us know when you get the new one if it works. Did something besides my post prompt you to return it?

Old 12-26-13, 05:32 PM
Posternine,

I ordered a different monitor, a Dell 1908FP. A little smaller and a little less money, it will make up what I will spend on return shipping. (Sigh...)

Your reply made up my mind to return the Asus. The fact that it did not display a Logo made perfect sense.

Thanks again,
Ken

Old 12-30-13, 04:19 PM
Looks like it was damaged either during or prior to shipping. That's a common sign of a cracked LCD.

I have an LCD monitor with a different problem that I knew it had when I bought it. It's edge-lit and the very bottom right corner of the glass that routes the light from the bulb to the screen has a 45 degree corner break about 1/4" in. It's so mild that I don't really care, and was obvious before I bought the thing. Since I like 4:3 ratio computer screens and this 21" is one of the larger 4:3 screens that was available I'll probably end up nursing it along for as long as possible.