New handheld

Old 01-02-14, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
New handheld

I am thinking of getting a new handheld "computer" thingy. I say thingy because I am not really sure if I want just tablet or something more. I like the idea of a real keyboard that attaches on and off easily. A few things I have considered:

1) It will not be an apple product. While apple is shiny and fancy (overpriced, overrated) and people go crazy over them, I am and will always be, a PC guy. I have never like how apple has full control over everything they produce and there is no open source. Pass. Done. Not for me. My wife on the other hand had drank the Kool-ade.

2) I am not real big on a windows 8 system either. While I have no problems with windows, and I like windows 7 quite a bit, I do not like the fact that there is very little apps for it. I do like to play games and not having access to the Google play store seams like a bad deal.

3) I am shocked by how low you can get a laptop for these days. I have been "fixing" a friends laptop, and doing some upgrades, and I find their 8 year old XP laptop can be trumped by a $400 laptop easily. (windows 8) I'm starting to think I am wasting my time. I I'm going to pick a windows machine I think it would be one of these.

I will mainly be using it for web searching, and some light gaming (free) Any other points you can think that I'm missing?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-14, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I have a 7" Android tablet and a Windows 8 netbook. The tablet gets 90% of my use - used almost every day while the netbook only comes out when I want an actual keyboard.

Total cost for both was $548 ($269 tablet, $279 netbook).

I would make both of these purchases again but keep in mind I bought the Windows 8 OS just to be more familiar with it, not because I like it - I have to be able to use it to support customers at work who have it.

Old 01-02-14, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I would even consider a ultrabook (high price) or maybe even a Chrome book. I know you mentioned a detachable keyboard but I love being able to hold the computer by the keyboard without fear of it coming disconnected, and I've used tables (have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10") and am just not a fan. Tablets are great if all you're doing is surfing the web and even they I find typing in a web address annoying. I'm a touch typist so I am just much more comfortable with a rear keyboard.

Old 01-02-14, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dell I know makes what looks like a fairly decent convertible laptop that can be used as a tablet but it is Windows 8. Besides Chrome Book there are also Linux based laptops for sale and Ubuntu is one of them but as far as I know they are just laptops. On the other hand you could just buy a used laptop that still works but has no operating system on it. If you do get a used laptop then I would install PCLinuxOs on it they have some decent free games available.

Old 01-03-14, 04:06 AM
An android tablet with a bluetooth keyboard seems like the play. Be sure the tablet has the spigots you'll need. For example, a mini or micro HDMI if you plan to watch streamed movies and connect it to your TV.

Old 01-03-14, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
I doubt I will ever use it for streaming, but I do like the idea of available USB port(s). Bluetooth keyboard pretty much blows the lid off the options. Thanks!

@ Pilot Dane - I think you need a better keyboard! Read your post again.

Old 01-03-14, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
You think my typing is bad with a keyboard you should see what comes out when I get going too fast on a tablet. I'm like some of our posters with no capitalization, no punctuation and lots of misspellings.

Old 01-03-14, 01:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
..... and I thought a rear keyboard was for us backward hill folk

Old 01-07-14, 05:34 AM
If you want to get something solid, more useful and proven to work, get a laptop. If you dont need such features, go for handheld device. They are great and getting better but still cannot match the power of even laptops these days.