Virus question

Old 01-16-14, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Virus question

I know the answer, but...

Can my PC get a virus by listening to internet radio? i.e., Pandora & Live 365.
My boss thinks so, I said "no" - because you're not clicking a link or downloading anything.

What says the experts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-14, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
No... Your not down loading anything... You are only streaming...

If that was true then places like netfix and such would be in big trouble....

Old 01-16-14, 11:44 AM
No, you cannot get a virus from those sites.

Old 01-16-14, 12:15 PM
Thanks for verifying. (The problem is that I can't show him up - with your expert testimony...)

Old 01-16-14, 12:59 PM
Actually the correct answer is it is possible to get an infection with a streaming video or streaming music. Is it probable though and the answer is no but it depends on the website you visit and the video you watch. YouTube is probably o.k. but there are a great deal of contributors daily who provide video so not all videos can be scanned by Google who owns YouTube. There are more fringe websites though that provide music and video and those places can give you a virus. Especially if the website says you need to download software to listen to the music or video.

I am not however including Apple Itunes as they keep an eye on their software that you need to play their music but other less friendly websites can cause problems. I have listened to radio websites from different radio stations and those are generally considered safe. So it is rare but yes you can get a virus from certain streaming websites. If you keep away from those websites you don't know anything about you should be safe.

Old 01-16-14, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
Uhhhh...yer gonna argue with your boss about what you can do on your work computer? Assuming it's your work computer.

Old 01-16-14, 04:01 PM
Depending on how the radio works.

If the radio uses software such as Java, Silverlight, Flash, or any other well-known foundation, then it's not likely that it can install a virus. However, if it asks to install a plugin, it won't.

Neither Pandora or Live 365 will do that because they both are completely web based and use HTML5.

Old 01-17-14, 03:03 AM
If you downloaded nothing, you could hardly get a virus!

Old 01-17-14, 04:00 AM
Gunguy45, relax.

It was a conversation, not a confrontation.

Old 01-17-14, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
I was mostly just messing with you. But you should see some of the questions we get....whoa baby.

Old 01-17-14, 04:48 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Let's not forget that just because you didn't click on a "download" doesn't mean that something didn't download. If you really want to get deep into it, I recommend the "Seven Deadliest Attack" Series by Syngress Publishing.

Old 01-24-14, 03:28 AM
I came to a forum similar to this one a few years ago (site is officially for computer and geeks). Within moments, a virus was installed on my computer. How did I know? My network monitor spiked. Luckily, I reimaged the OS and in minutes I was back to normal. Went back to the same website and again, got hit. Before I reimaged the second time, I contacted the forum moderator since I was a regular on there. He greatly thanked me for catching and preventing further spread of the virus on the popular website.

So, yes, you don't have to manually download but just surfing to that site can cause just as much of a download, agreeing with Pulpo.