Computer log in query

Old 01-24-14, 04:00 PM
Computer log in query

I noticed yesterday that when i start my computer it takes about 2 minutes
for the 2 communication computer monitor icons in the screen tray to show.

Previously,they would come on almost immediately when i logged into my
account.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-14, 06:18 PM
Probably nothing to worry about have you added any programs lately or maybe a new printer? Depending on how the program works or the driver it can slow down your start up time. If it gets worse though make sure you scan your computer for viruses and run CHKDSk.

Old 01-24-14, 08:33 PM
Try Disk Defrag. Normally when your PC starts slowing down it's because you installed software that now loads when your computer starts as opposed to waiting for you to open it. If this doesn't solve it, I'll post steps on how to edit what programs start up with your PC.

To defragment your hard disk

Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Defragmenter.

Under Current status, select the disk you want to defragment.

To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click Analyze disk. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.

Click Defragment disk. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation process.

Old 01-25-14, 07:24 AM
Joy !!!

Ran CHKDSK, and everything seems back to normal now.
Should i run CHKDSK frequently?

Thanks to you both for the help.

Old 01-25-14, 12:31 PM
Thanks iTech for mentioning defrag I had other things on my mind at the time and forgot that. daswede you really only need to run CHKDSK if the computer becomes unstable like slowing down a great deal and defrag should be done at least once a month on Windows XP computers. If you ever upgrade to Windows 7 or above defrag is done automatically so you really don't have to do it yourself unless you run into problems and want to.

Old 01-25-14, 01:40 PM
Thanks hedgeclippers for your follow up comment,and further advice.

Old 01-26-14, 06:35 AM
For those who may read this in the future and CHKDSK doesn't work: I had a similar issue on an older XP desktop that was the result of adding a package of software. It took up to five minutes before the machine would allow any connections to the internet. Mail programs would hang. Browsers wouldn't launch.

I'm not sure which specific program caused the slow-down, but when I restored to a System Restore point before the software was installed everything returned to normal.

The software package included ASUS USB drivers for a tablet, Windows Media Player 11, one of the dot-Net frameworks, Splashtop Streamer client, and a file sync utility. The USB drivers were not the cause. I never bothered to investigate further because all that other bloat was not needed.

Old 01-26-14, 07:06 AM
I have a older system that didn't respond to a disk cleanup,system restore,etc.

I had the same exact misery you described. Fortunately,CHKDSK worked for me.