Upgrading HD in Acer Asprie one ZG5

Old 01-24-14, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading HD in Acer Asprie one ZG5

A co-worker gave his acer asprie one ZG5 to work on. he said it wouldn't connect to the house wi-fi yet it connects to mine fine. Some issues Im running into is in trying to install updates I keep getting low disk space errors.Is it possible to upgrade to a bigger GB hardrive. This one says it will work but i'm not sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-14, 05:17 AM
That drive will work, but for roughly the same price you can get a 500 gig instead of that 320. How do you plan to walk the OS from the old to the new? System image on a thumb drive?

Old 01-25-14, 12:43 PM
I agree with Rick but would like to add that you should check how much memory the laptop already has. Many laptop manufacturers skimp on memory and that can cause problems with the hard drive eventually. It causes problems because Microsoft uses a cache area or buffer to supplement for a lack of memory that is on the computer.

Usually buying more memory helps to solve the problem at least for a while. I suspect though that the laptop is just about filled to capacity on the hard drive though so it needs an upgrade but should have both a memory and hdd upgrade at the same time.

Old 01-25-14, 03:56 PM
According to specs it comes with 1GB of Ram. only one slot. for copying the OS would a external HD work.

Old 01-25-14, 09:56 PM
Ok digging around in the netbook It appears to have a solid state 8GB hardrive. How would I go about cloning and replacing this. can I replace the SSD with a regular 2.5 HD or is it a lost cause to upgrade the HD to a bigger size. The info for the SSD is ssdpamm0008g1.

Last edited by flirty1; 01-26-14 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-26-14, 05:08 PM
Another update. took the netbook apart removed the mother board,could not find a hard drive anywhere. It must be integrated into the motherboard.

Old 01-26-14, 05:46 PM
The One Z series motherboards have both a SATA and a ZIF hard drive sockets. The models that come with a hard drive use the hard drive slot below the motherboard, and it is a standard SATA 2.5" drive.

The SSD models use a 1.8" ZIF SSD card that connects to a white connector on the top right edge of the motherboard (above the hard drive slot) via a ribbon cable. You can change from HDD to SSD (or a larger SSD) if you want. However, you can not have both connected at the same time because they are wired together - which means you can't directly clone the old drive to the new one unless you have a ZIF to USB adapter.

However what you can try is an imaging program. I use Macrium Reflect. They have a free version which would be perfect for this application. You will need an external hard drive or flash key with at least 8GB free for the image, and then another 1-2GB key which will be made into the bootable "rescue" disk that you will use to boot and run the program once the new drive is installed.

In a netbook I would stick with SSD. It's going to cost more, but a hard drive's power draw will decimate your battery compared to the life you get with SSD.

As far as RAM goes, if it's reporting 1GB, then it's got a 512MB chip (plus 512MB on the motherboard). You can swap the 512MB for a 1GB chip, for a total of 1.5GB. Still not ideal, but it'll still be an improvement.

Old 01-27-14, 10:22 PM
There is no room to Install any kind of hard drive. THIS is what I would have to go with to get more space. Would the cloning website you gave still work for this.

Old 01-27-14, 10:37 PM
Yeah that would work. But you are not understanding where the space is for a standard 2.5" drive.

You take the 1.3" SSD out, then take off the Wifi board on the right edge of the case, and there will be a slot just big enough to slip the drive in. The SATA connector is on the underside of the motherboard. I just worked on one of those Aspires not too long ago.

And yes, it doesn't matter what you are going from/to when using Reflect. You are going to image the existing drive and create a bootable key. Then swap drives, boot to the bootable key, and restore the image. Reflect does not require you to restore an image to the same size drive.

Old 01-28-14, 09:36 PM
It doesn't have sata connections underneith the motherboard. There is no room for a 2.5 inch hard drive. I took pictures. This machine is not hard drive compatible. Do they make 1.8 regular hard drives. It has a 1Gb chip installed.

Old 01-29-14, 01:41 AM
Interesting.. Must be a newer revision, which wouldn't be uncommon.

They do make 1.8" hard drives.. But now that I see that the case doesn't have the clear space for the 2.5" hard drive I'll have to retract my previous statement. It won't fit in there with any way to secure it.. Although it looks like you could probably just cut off the mounting bosses for the SSD and stick it in there with Velcro or double stick tape.

Are you sure about the size of the RAM module though? Does it say 1GB on the label? Because that motherboard definitely has onboard RAM - it's the row of four chips on the top side of the board. So if it's got a 1GB module in the slot, it should register 1.5GB.

Old 01-29-14, 08:04 PM
The chip says 1GB. The computer has windows XP pro on it. I just managed to get SP3 on it. Took forever to download and install cause its so slow. Will THIS Hard drive work. Are the pins correct.

Last edited by flirty1; 01-29-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 09:50 PM
Yes. ZIF is ZIF, just like IDE is IDE and SATA is SATA.

However as I said changing from a SSD to a spinning hard drive will kill your battery life. Not only that but HDDs are not shockproof like SSDs are. SSD is ideal for a laptop.

This one is 32GB for $50.. Its still 4x the storage of whats there, and it's a lot faster than the one that came with it. KingSpec SSD 1 8" ZIF CE 32G MLC Solid State Drive New SEALED | eBay

If it's XP, right click on My Computer and click properties. The window that comes up will tell you how much RAM is being reported.