Poor Netflix Quality after Installing New Router

Old 02-15-14, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Poor Netflix Quality after Installing New Router

I just replaced my D-Link DR-601 router (supplied by ISP) with a Linksys E1500 router and added a Linksys EA4500 dual band router for wireless connectivity. BTW, I've always used two routers in this configuration so I'm not looking for alternatives. My question is why would my video streaming quality on Netflix suffer after replacing the D-Link router with the new Linksys router? The video doesn't buffer or cut out, it's just poor quality--definitely not HD like it used to be prior to the swap. I stream Vudu from the same device (Samsung Blu Ray) and it is just fine. It's only Netflix that is suffering. BTW, my download speed is 28 Mbps so definitely fast enough (faster than before the swap).

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-14, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I just don't see a need for a router, then a dual band router. I have a netgear dual band n- router and it knows when to switch bands if we are streaming. I think the other router may be confusing things. Richard or one of the others will be along shortly to set us both straight.

Old 02-15-14, 03:57 PM
I just don't see a need for a router, then a dual band router.
That's what works for my configuration--I have wired devices in the basement that connect to the first router (wireless disabled) and both wired and wireless devices connected to the dual band router on the first floor. If I put the wireless router in the basement, then my signal upstairs is not strong enough. There just isn't room in the first floor office for the cable modem nor is there a cable outlet. I like having that clutter down in the basement out of the way. Plus I plan on eventually installing a media panel down there. Anyhow, like I said, everything worked fine until I switched routers, and it is only Netflix that is having a problem. Here are some basic settings for whatever it is worth:

Router 1 (Linksys E1500):
IP address: 192.168.0.1
Wireless disabled
DHCP server enabled
NAT enabled

Router 2 (Linksys EA4500):
IP address: 192.168.0.2
Wireless enabled
DHCP server disabled
NAT disabled

Old 02-15-14, 04:35 PM
Netflix appears to be fine now. Only thing I've changed since watching earlier is I disabled NAT on the second router. Now NAT is only enabled on the first router (E1500). Perhaps that did the trick.

Last edited by mossman; 02-15-14 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-15-14, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was having a similar issue. Netflix was working just fine on my laptop, iPad, and PS3. But I went out and bought a brand new LG 3D tv which had Netflix built in and it just looked like crap on it. I ended up taking the tv back though and told them I wasn't happy with it.

but mine was only a 1 router configuration with wireless to every device but the tv. I went hardwired to it.

Old 02-16-14, 06:16 AM
Who knows. Could have been a crappy wireless card in the TV or could've been some conflict between the TV and your router. All of my devices are working great now. Just took a little finagling. The TV in my basement is wireless and it used to flicker once in a while when streaming, but the flicker is gone now that I've replaced the D-link router with the Linksys. I'm happy now.

Old 02-17-14, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It might come down to time of day & who your provider is. Google "netflix speed" (or the more recent hot-button "net neutrality") and you'll find a sea of desperate souls trying to get the stream speed they've been promised by Comcast, Verizon, etc.

Since a DC court last month struck down the rules that forced providers to provide service fairly and equally (net neutrality), the speed & quality issues will only get worse for consumers. An example is Comcast who sells Xfinity streaming content and considers Netflix a competitor in that arena. If they shift Nf bandwidth to Xf it saves money and potentially drives dissatisfied Nf customers to "better" Xf.

I've seen this in my own home as Netflix quality has degraded during prime time to the point of being below VHS SLP quality. I doubled my Comcast internet to 50Mbps and have seen no improvement. Other channels, other wifi devices are seeing advertised speeds--it's just Netflix that's suffering.

Old 02-17-14, 04:00 PM
Very interesting. If Comcast wants more Netflix customers to switch to Xfinity then they should seriously consider updating their 1980's Atari-like user interface!