iPhone Custom AV Adapter

Old 02-16-14, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
iPhone Custom AV Adapter

Hey all,

I was wondering if were possible to create a custom AV cable similar to this one Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

How does this AV cable work - as in, which serial pins do what?

An idea would be to not only have 720p/1080p video through HDMI, but also have some data transmitted to another device... I feel this might be possible with the bandwidth that the new lightning port offers but I'm not sure about serial com...

Thanks alot!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-14, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums. You go messing with cords on an Iphone, you'll end up with a brick. Time, materials, etc would cost you way more than buying the proper product.

Old 02-16-14, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Even something as simple as a USB cord for an Apple product can lead to frustration. The Lightening socket ups the complexity by a factor of three. I know of no inexpensive sources for Lightening connectors so by the time you bought a donor cable to get the connector you might as well spend the money for one known to work.

I hate to say sometimes it's just not worth the effort to reinvent the wheel.

Old 02-17-14, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Some (all?) of the lightning cables have some form of processing built into them as well. Some of this is likely for security to allow only Apple approved devices/cables to be used, but also probably to provide connectivity to different devices via fewer pins/conductors.

Definitely not an easy hobby project to undertake.

More details if you're interested
Inside the Apple Lightning Cable | Chipworks Blog

Old 02-19-14, 06:25 PM
Hm alright... makes sense. I know that because they are so closed about the MFi program, it is a pain to create custom hardware.

But so just to confirm, you are saying that a cable like the AV cable (Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)) has some form of processing built in it? That would make sense as to how the device recognizes it as a "video cable".

I was hoping to be able to tap into this, using the legal way too. This is for a project which I would take the Apple MFi Program for...

Old 02-20-14, 03:25 AM
I bought 2 aftermarket 6' long lightning cords to use with an Apple USB wall wart. Nope. My Ipad throws up a message that the cord is not approved for use with this unit. I am stuck with the short cord provided, or buy one from Apple.

Old 02-20-14, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Exactly. Apple did this with the older 30-pin cables via simple resistor networks. If there was 600 ohms between pin x and pin y, it meant the external device was able to charge at 5w... etc. Some of it was (likely illegally) published on the internet, so you could find it if needed. Of course as new i-device versions came out, the spec continued to evolve.

It seems the lightning port has been improved both in terms of functionality as well as ensuring only Apple approved products can be used.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-14, 07:43 PM
Alright but theoretically speaking, does anyone know if this is possible, with the Apple MFi program... legally and with their SDK and all?

I know their program is very secretive but it sucks not to be able to know what is possible when planning for something /:

Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-22-14, 04:57 AM
No. Hopefully your time is worth more than trying to beat an established system.

Old 03-02-14, 06:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd say yes. The MFi program helps you design, develop and manufacture Apple approved accessories. If you have a whiz-bang new idea, definitely look into it.

That said, it seems that the program is quite expensive to join, and needs a pretty good business plan in place to 'prove' your dedication to the program. Not something I have the spare cash for... but if you think you have a good idea - that's what the program is there for!

If you're interested, read up on the lightning connector. You can see what devices are currently built for it and what some media outlets 'think' it can do. It will give you at least an idea of whether what you want to do is possible. Take a look at some of the sites that do iPhone breakdowns and analyze every chip and component of the phones. They may not have it 100% correct, but they are often pretty close.

Old 03-03-14, 06:59 AM
Talking theory....I agree with zorfdt. Practicality as in the first post, no. It's gonna take money and time. If you got both, spend 'em.