laptop updates

Old 02-22-14, 04:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
laptop updates

I recently bought a cheap ASUS laptop with Win8. I knew going in that it wasn't going to be all that fast and can deal with that BUT once or twice a week it installs updates. It always installs them at start up and that completely takes over the pc. While it's installing updates you can't use the laptop for anything or even turn it off. It takes 30-60 minutes for the install process to complete My desktop always installs updates at shut down. Any way to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-14, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
No I think its built in.... I looked high and low for an answer because when I first got windows 8 it did it and I thought it was a virus..

While it's installing updates you can't use the laptop for anything or even turn it off.
It shows a count up screen on start up correct with %?? I think its a disk repair check.

Mine only does it once in a while.

It takes 30-60 minutes for the install process to complete[/QUOTE]

I think you may be exaggerating on that. I dont think its more then 5 min..

Old 02-22-14, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No exaggeration!! If I was rich enough to not miss the money I spent I'd take a hammer to it!

Do you think after time it will quit needing the long update installations? I get a message that says not to unplug the pc, updating in progress [along with the percentage of how far along] and then about halfway thru it states installing update #1 [or whatever] of however many.

Old 02-22-14, 05:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Usually, older versions did the updates as you shut down the computer. I can see the frustration at startup. Can you go into bios and have the updates done in the background? I totally don't know anything about W8, and will probably go to Apple when my only option after XP dies forces me to get W8 machine.

Edit. Wait, aren't you on dialup? May cause major delay if you are.

Old 02-22-14, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator
and then about halfway thru it states installing update #1 [or whatever] of however many.
That just may be regular updates since its new. You can force the updates instead of waiting the once a week..

Go to the charms menu on the right, settings,pc info, and windows update is bottom left.

Did you download classic shell or the windows 8.1 update? This adds the start menu to the task bar. I use classic shell. When windows 8.1 came out with their start menu I disabled it.

Old 02-22-14, 05:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, I haven't been on dial up for several years

I'm not sure if I'm bright enough to go into the BIOS but I can probably get one of the kids to check that out for me. From what I've seen, I like Win7 better than Win8 but then it might just be another 'can't teach an old dog new tricks' deal

Did you download classic shell or the windows 8.1 update?
I don't know We're fixin to go to town but I'll see if I can check on that later.

Old 02-22-14, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Mark, I have a laptop with Win8, and it doesn't take more than a few minutes installing updates at startup and it isn't updating 2 or 3 times a week.
Sounds like the update isn't actually being done, but it's trying, which would be the reason it seems to be taking so long and happening so frequently.
If you go to "Windows Update", you can see if the updates were successful or not, and I think it will be not.
You can't change this sort of update in bios. It won't do it in the background, only on startup.

Old 02-22-14, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
It won't do it in the background, only on startup.
If you go where I stated you can update manually...

Go to the charms menu on the right, settings,pc info, and windows update is bottom left.

Old 02-22-14, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, you're right Mike. You can't change it in the bios tho, AFAIK.

Old 02-22-14, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Or change to an OS that doesn't update unless you tell it to. One that won't be obsolete in a couple of years.

Old 02-22-14, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
You can change the updates to not do it automatically just like any other OS...

Nothing has changed with windows 8 really from a user perspective. Just a different way to find things and the metro screen which I dont use..

Old 02-22-14, 09:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Mark

To answer what I believe is your basic question, the answer is yes. You can make some choices/selections pertaining to how windows downloads and installs updates. The recommended selections can be slightly customized to suite your desires. Can be done in something worded like change settings on how windows downloads and installs updates.

The last windows download contained some 15 updates.... all in one download!!! It took plenty of time. Almost exactly time wise what you too experienced. On a WiFi connection.

Rest easy. It all subsides over time. As windows self diagnoses your machines O/S, operating environment, running programs and personal choices and usages, the long time spans will be a thing of only the recent past...LOL!!!

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 02-24-14 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-22-14, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the update isn't actually being done, but it's trying, which would be the reason it seems to be taking so long and happening so frequently.
Shadie was right! I checked and there are 15 pending updates, 58 failed updates and over 50 completed updates. Is it normal to have that many updates?

Before the race came on I hooked my laptop directly to the cable [bypassed the wireless connection] in case that was an issue. I restarted the pc to install updates, it selected 10 and spent 43 minutes updating/configuring, then it stated update failure and took 20 minutes reverting changes. At 2:10PM I tried again, it spent an hour updating and configuring and has been stuck on 'reverting changes' ever since [over 3hrs] None of the keys or the mouse cursor work while it's doing this so it's not possible to stop or shut down. I'm beginning to think the laptop is defective more so than the user

Or change to an OS that doesn't update unless you tell it to. One that won't be obsolete in a couple of years
I've thought about that If it wasn't beyond my skillset I'd remove everything on the laptop to disks [if that's possible] and try another OS. This laptop should be comparable to my old XP desktop but it's a good bit slower - similar processor but a lot more memory.

edit, the laptop finally got done reverting changes and is back to being useable.

Old 02-22-14, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, it's normal to have a bunch of updates!

Have you tried to update them manually? You should be able to do that in the Windows Update thing. I've had that happen, and it seemed the culprit was the automatic update, but when I told it to update manually, then it finally updated!
Usually it's just one of the updates that's causing the problems, and then the rest of them fail too.

Old 02-23-14, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I manually started the updates yesterday ..... or maybe I did it wrong. I went to the update page and clicked on update now, that's when it spent several hours trying but accomplishing nothing

Old 02-23-14, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
It should not take that long IMO... The only update that took a long time was windows 8.1...

I recently bought a cheap ASUS laptop with Win8.
Well I would say bring it back, or refresh the OS... Dont know what you paid, but I have always been a dell guy myself. Never an issue...

$399 gets you an I3 processor and such.

Inspiron 15 Laptop Available with Touch Screen Details | Dell

Old 02-23-14, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
I agree. If it's still under warranty, take it back. It shouldn't be having that problem if it's fairly new.

Old 02-23-14, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I'm thinking that will be my next move I bought it online so I'm not sure how the warranty works but I'll be checking it out later in the week. Church and the race today, tomorrow I've got to see if I can fix my tractor so I can put it back in the barn ........ how do folks retire and spend their days in a rocking chair

I bought the laptop thru amazon, the main reason being I had a couple of gift certificates and could use my CC's cash back .... so the $315 price only cost me $4 in real money

Old 02-23-14, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Old 02-23-14, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
You may as well email Amazon. What they'll probably do is, send you a pre-paid box to send it back and send you another one.

Old 02-26-14, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe I got it fixed The ASUS tech dept said I needed to refresh the computer. Supposedly I wouldn't loose any settings but I lost them all including my virus and maleware programs The 1st update attempt failed but then it was successful with 12 updates, then 2 more failures along with being unable to turn off the laptop last night. Tried again this morning and it successfully downloaded and installed 102 updates ...... only took 5 hrs what if I was still stuck with only dial up

Old 03-01-14, 08:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Basically any new or freshly wiped computer will have a buttload of updates to install when it is first turned on. They install in waves until it is completely up to date, because some need to be installed and the computer rebooted before others can install. No, it is not unusual to have 50/100/150 updates to process in the first few weeks you own a computer..

Previous versions of Windows also force installs of updates if you don't reboot, it just usually happens at 4am. The 8 update process is more in your face if you never restart.

As far as the update frequency, unless there is some major security hole discovered that needs to be patched like yesterday, updates come out on the second Tuesday of each month (called Patch Tuesday) and sometimes on the fourth Tuesday. There's usually 8-10 per update.

Old 03-02-14, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm used to how the updates have worked with previous OS on desktops [always in the back ground and installed at shutdown] but this laptop [my first] installs them when you you first turn it on. I was really shocked at how long it ties the pc up but hopefully now that it's installed 100+ updates it won't be so bad.