HP 5520 printer

Old 02-26-14, 08:19 PM
HP 5520 printer

HP 5520 ePrinter

Have had trouble with this printer since it was installed this past year and I'm about to give up on it. It was bought to use with my Mini Mac desktop unit and for wireless printing from my iPad.

This works when it wants. After set-up it is supposed to work wirelessly from the Mini Mac as well as the iPad. I ended up only being able to print from the desktop with it hard wired. Then it would not print at all unless I unplugged the power cord from the printer and then plugged back in each time I needed to print. Printing from the iPad is a struggle.

I uninstalled the printer and then re-installed downloading the drivers from HP website. No improvement. Any suggestions?

This is a relatively inexpensive printer so maybe I got what I paid for. Has anyone any suggestions for a better printer that will print from my iPad and desktop. Thanks inadvance for any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-14, 01:16 AM
I wish I could suggest a better printer but it seems like all of those printers that promise wireless printing without being hooked up to a computer are just that promises but without meaning.

I have a Lexmark which I hear is manufactured by HP and it will only print from my desktop and not by wireless except through my router. With the Windows 7 drivers I have lost my printer a few times only to have it show up again and sometimes through wireless my printer doesn't want to print either. I had it on an XP desktop before but it didn't work all the time with that either.

I just wonder if Epson might be better. I certainly like their scanners better but really know nothing about their printers. Anyone here on the forum know anything about Epson? So far at least right now my Lexmark is behaving well but I may want to replace it at some time.

Old 02-27-14, 06:52 AM
I bought an Epson all-in-one a few months ago and so far it works great. I don't have anything wireless but it is supposed to work.

Absolutely baffles my pea-brain how these things can squirt out ink into letters, and FAST. Crazy.

Amazon.com : Epson WorkForce WF-2540 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible (C11CC36201) : Inkjet Multifunction Office Machines : Electronics

Old 02-27-14, 09:21 AM
How close to the Printer is your wireless router? I have an HP6510 that so far has been working pretty good. Once in a great while I had to go in the printer and find its IP, then plug it into the HP utility.

Lately its even been scanning over the wireless connection flawlessly.

Old 02-27-14, 09:46 AM
Thank you hedgeclippers, tribefan and Baldwin for the replies. The printer is very close, about 2 feet from the router.

I went to Apple's website and the HP 5520 is one of the printers that they offer.

I've Uninstalled it again and I'm going to try to set it back up later today. I go to HP to download the drivers.

I remember when I had installed my old printer that I had the computer search for available printers and then set it up. I'm not seeing that available with this printer or maybe I'm missing something. I'll post my results.

Old 02-27-14, 11:09 AM
I have a HP 5520 also,and had a miserable time setting it up the first time.

It still didn't work right til i got a printer guru friend to look at it

Old 02-27-14, 12:13 PM
I would like to thank you Baldwin for your suggestion of a good printer. My only question for you is how good is it for cartridge use are the cartridges large or are they small and have to be replaced soon? Actually a couple more questions how long have you had the printer and do you have any complaints about it?

Old 02-28-14, 11:30 AM
I found the set-up CD that came with the 5520 printer. I took it very slowly and installed the software and checked online for any updates.

I am now able to print from the desktop -Mini Mac- but only if the USB cable is connected. It will not work wireless from the desktop as it is supposed to. It does print wireless from my iPad and my iPhone. I'll keep you updated if any problems develop.

I would also like more info on the Epson Printer and your experience with it.

Old 02-28-14, 01:25 PM
I Like It

I bought mine November last year and still going. I don't print a ton of stuff, tax forms, tax returns, recipes and stuff like that and a couple pictures.

it comes with the standard cartridges (200 pages @ $12.99) and you can order a XL cartridge good for 500 pages @ $30.00. Just checked mine and black is almost half full, color is still full. I don't know, seems pretty reasonable to me.

used the fax and scanner a half dozen or so times, no problems there.

it seems a little delicate (paper trays and lifting the scanner cover) so I'm careful there, probably overly so. It's not built like a 51 Chevy.

no USB cable included so if you go that route you'll have to buy one.

If it were to puke tomorrow I'd probably buy another.